Author Topic: List of Contingent Spells  (Read 3231 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
List of Contingent Spells
« on: October 21, 2011, 04:41:16 PM »
I'm wondering what spells are available to set up a contingency. I know of the Core Contingency, Shalantha's Delicate Disk (LEoF), and Spell Haven (Dragonmarked), but are there any others out there?

I'm looking for official sources, not Pathfinder or pretty much anything by 3rd party groups. Also, Craft Contingent Spell is a no-go. PrC abilities and other feats are fine, and I'd like it if any spells mentioned are Arcane (Divine is ok too, but it doesn't help me much).

[spoiler][/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
Re: List of Contingent Spells
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 04:55:26 PM »
There was a 9th level "Triple Contingency" spell somewhere in 3e. Does that help? Eye of the Oracle (DrM? CM?) can act as one, especially if Persisted.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:04:55 PM by CantripN »
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

amalcon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 06:08:36 PM »
I'll cover the obvious ones.  Psionic Contingency isn't a spell, but it's still on the list.  Wish, Miracle, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Shades can all duplicate Contingency, as do any level 7+ illusions for a Shadowcraft Mage.  Wish and Miracle can also duplicate Psionic Contingency, which can be active at the same time as a normal Contingency.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 06:50:39 PM »
I'll cover the obvious ones.  Psionic Contingency isn't a spell, but it's still on the list.  Wish, Miracle, Greater Shadow Evocation, and Shades can all duplicate Contingency, as do any level 7+ illusions for a Shadowcraft Mage.  Wish and Miracle can also duplicate Psionic Contingency, which can be active at the same time as a normal Contingency.

Duplicating contingencies has the problem of not stacking with existing contingencies (one of the goals of this idea is to set up multiple contingencies from different sources).

Also, due to Transparency, PsiContingency won't work. DM ruling.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2011, 08:25:25 PM »
Spell Phylactery, PGtF.

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2011, 10:16:20 PM »
Chain Contingency in Tome & Blood.

Ikeren

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 10:19:34 PM »
Spell compendium also has the "pact" series; Cleric Contingency lites.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 02:25:00 AM »
There's the old Elminster's Evasion, renamed in SpC as Instant Refuge. It doesn't allow you to key specific spells as a contingency, but it's a handy teleport-version.

[spoiler]INSTANT REFUGE
Evocation
Level: Sorcerer/wizard 9
Components: V, S, M, XP
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Until discharged
You set invisible arcane triggers within your mind and body, allowing you to escape great peril in an instant. This powerful variant of the contingency spell automatically transfers you and everything you carry or touch (except for other creatures or objects that weigh  more than 50 pounds) to a locale you name. When casting instant refuge, you must specify the locale and detail up to six specific conditions that trigger the spell.  When any of these situations occurs, you are whisked away to the location. The location can be any place you have visited, even on another plane.
Material Component: A concoction made from demon skin and rare herbs worth 250 gp.
XP Cost: 100 XP.[/spoiler]
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 01:46:30 PM »
While not a contingency per se, there is "Programmed Illusion"

And also magic mouth :)

There was also a thread about permanent spells about a month ago.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 10:05:17 PM »
Teleport Trigger in the SRD is a Nomad-only, Teleport-only version of Psionic Contingency.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 01:25:53 AM »
It's not a spell, but Contingent Conjuration is a class feature of the ThaumaturgistDMG.  (It is mostly divine-only though, without some shenanigans - needs lesser planar ally as a spell known)

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:23 AM »
Chain Contingency CantripN was talking about.

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Gemjump (SpC) is a contingency-lite with teleport, in SpC I believe. It does require a Standard action to trigger the teleport though.