Author Topic: Flying animal companion - Homing missile?  (Read 1813 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Flying animal companion - Homing missile?
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
I'm curious if it is possible to make an animal companion hawk, eagle or some other predatory bird, to be a mean, flying killing machine that kills anything* that you point at, of course in one attack.
You can use any official 3.5 and PF material. It has to be an animal companion from a 20 level Ranger (or Ranger + PrC). It doesn't have to be an animal if other types are available, it just needs to look like a predatory bird, preferably hawk or eagle-like.

* By saying "anything" I mean any tougher then usual mook, but of course the more powerful enemies he can kill the better.

Is it doable?
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
Re: Flying animal companion - Homing missile?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 04:06:15 PM »
Look up Ubermounts.

Druid does it strictly better then Ranger, and Paladin/Druid does it better then anyone.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 04:11:36 PM »
Druid into Prestige Ranger would be the closest I can think of to what you're asking for, as it would give a very strong animal companion at least (Ranger alone doesn't give nearly enough).

JaronK

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »
Or, if it has to be a base ranger, Ranger 8/Lion of Talisid 10/Beastmaster 2?  (Might be possible to get into the PrC's faster with some shenanigans) but that will get you the abilities of a 19th level druid's animal companion.

Grab a Roc off the Sandstorm druid list, animal growth, etc.  Snatch -> drop = dead.

Or there's the Skylord's flying mount for more of a charge based build, but I don't think it's going to be nearly as strong.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:53:13 PM by Mooncrow »

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:55:03 PM »
Look up Ubermounts.

Druid does it strictly better then Ranger, and Paladin/Druid does it better then anyone.

How do you do Druid/Paladin?  Druid is any neutral and Paladin is specifically Lawful Good.  Any of the variant Paladins in UA are in the corners, hence non-neutral.

Still, if it could be made to work then it'd be pretty darn effective.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:58:54 PM »
Paladin/Beastmaster/Halfling Outrider.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 05:13:30 PM »
And then maybe give your many HD and high BAB animal companion some ubercharging to do the whole swooping thing.

Ubermounts are pretty solid, and this would be a pretty neat, different take on it.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 05:17:10 PM »
If you can swing eberron, my favorite is a talenta halfling supermount build, because they get to ride dinosaurs.  :D  Pick one with pounce!
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 07:06:51 PM »
If you want to be a ranger 20 with a hawk, the best I can come up with is the urban companion alternative class feature from the Cityscape web enhancement.  It deals crap for damage, but it has your base attack bonus, base save bonuses, and skill ranks and 3/4 your hit points.  You might be able to work something out.