Author Topic: Consolidating... classes?  (Read 2327 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Consolidating... classes?
« on: October 19, 2011, 10:55:07 AM »
Instead of creating countless homebrew fixes for lower tier classes, why not just combine those classes that are redundant and similar concept-wise? Let us use what the designers created and provided, instead of working at creating things from scratch.
Example: there's the Fighter, Swashbuckler, Samurai and Knight. Each is a mediocre class, tier 5 and even tier 6 in the case of the Samurai. They all are the same thing - a beatstick, just needlessly multiplied into 4 different base classes, which in my opinion should really be one class, or at least some of the class features should be ACFs for the Fighter.
Why not combine them into a single, capable class like I did with my simple Fighter fix?
I'm not saying that my idea is perfect, but I think that it's premise is correct - too many base classes that are basically the same exact thing.
Some other examples:
  • Ranger//Scout
  • Monk//Ninja (both are oriental martial artists with supernatural abilities)
  • Warlock//Shadowcaster
Maybe also add Fighters bonus feat progression to Barbarian to make him more customizable combat-wise?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 10:56:45 AM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Consolidating... classes?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 03:51:58 AM »
Probably a good idea, but take some care to avoid stacking linear power too high(particularly roll bonuses, damage bonuses etc). You can be T4 and still completely broken after all.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 01:17:16 PM »
This is something I'm a big fan of. See my Soulborn fix. Garryl combined the Marshal and Divine Mind into one.

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »
And then there's Prime32's Everything Gestalt.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

lans

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 06:35:44 PM »
What about Paladin/Soulborn/Soulknife?
Skill prodigy from Kingdoms of Kalamar