Author Topic: Chapter 1: The Manipulative and the Subservient - The High Arcana Games  (Read 13908 times)

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Chapter 1: The Manipulative and the Subservient - The High Arcana Games
« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:37 PM »
Elle stands and signals to her eunich Murdering the other teams isn't exactly what I intended to do. I will kill them if they push confrontation, but I'd rather keep the moral high ground and not ambush them until they have shown intent to harm us.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 06:47:31 PM »
Letting our enemies get the first move might not be a smart move, but if it's a unified decision. The familiar grin appears again. I usually take it as as much, if not more, aggressive act summoning warriors that "could" be used to attack offenders, as I consider it actually casting the spell that does so in the first place.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #62 on: October 26, 2011, 09:57:05 PM »
Ezekiel unleashes a brilliant smile. . .
Syllia, don't the delvers consider ratmen to be the scum of the earth? Therefore, should I not be offended that you would consider ME to when looking for contacts among them, scum by association, then!
Gentle condescending click of the tongue and a headshake...

Waving a hand in the direction of Tir'Akcu without really looking towards him.

With that Ezikiel walk over and places his hand on the mural in several locations each place he touches lights with a purple glow from inside the wall behind the mural, and a dull humm begins. The floor in the room unfurls and begins to stretch its self into a spiral stairwell leading down into the darkness.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 10:06:23 PM »
Syllia bristles in mock indignation at Red.  "Are you saying that my summons promise deadly force?"  She grins maliciously.  "Good, me too.  And, I don't care about ratmen, we can kill them or not; but eliminating the competition seems to be a good idea -- every one of them we kill, that's one less to get through future challenges."
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 04:30:04 AM »
As the party descends through the darkness of the stairs you can feel the temperature slowly dropping as you go deeper towards the undercity. The stairwell is deceptively long, you push past cobwebs for awhile, eventually you all can begin to smell a change in the air. It smells rank and decrepit. As the stairs begin to level out you can hear small sounds of scurrying echoing up the tunnel. A thin mist is creeping up the stairs, insects and vermin scatter at your presence.
Abruptly the stairwell ends, you find your self in the entrance of the sewers.
[spoiler] [/spoiler]

Strangely enough there is light that can be seen. The ceiling is low, about 7'ft at the high points, down to around 5 ft near the walls. The mist clings to the ground obscuring it. You all can smell the strong stench of rotting corpses, trash and feces. There is strange markings on the walls in places. You can see a few vermin scattering about in the shadows.

((as the picture shows there is two tunnels. You can hear many little sounds, nothing large or immediately threatening so far though
go ahead and make any knowledge/listen/spot checks you want, or spells etc. its free actions.
some PM's have been sent as well. ))
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:49:00 AM by dna1 »
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:31 AM »
The features on Coron's face move just a budge, indecipherable to his mood. Yet budge they did, and so too did the whole elf, gliding towards the markings on the wall. He stopped a few paces shy, adjusted his black and white robes that denoted his alliances. Then, with a firm grip on his staff with one hand, his free hand went to his temple.

[spoiler]Detect Magic (works in a 60 ft spread, concentration/rounds up to 6 minutes), specifically looking at the rats, though with a 60ft spread, lets see what I don't detect.[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
Syllia looks around with distaste.  "I never come to this level," she mutters distractedly.  "The Delvers stick to the lower levels because there's much more interesting stuff down there.  We kicked the vermin out of any important areas, and let them flourish in the feces, because why not?"

She turns to Ezekiel.  "I wasn't trying to imply that you're scum.  I just figured if anyone knew anything, it would be you."

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 11:43:11 AM »
Elle will also look at the writing on the walls to see if she can figure out what any of it means. (her written languages known are Common, Elven, Draconic, Infernal, & Giant)
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 01:12:14 PM »
Before they head down, Jazra replies to Reds question about Magic Aura with that he is not capable of casting the spell.

As they reach the fork in the road and Elle stops to look at the inscriptions he strides to stand approximately one pace from her. With his hoarse voice more quiet than usual he says They belong to a group of lycanthropes that used to posses great influence in thie Undercity before the Delvers gained their foothold. He smiles slightly and strokes one of the markings with his right hand They probably believe that they stole objects of notable power. If they are of this group, it is not unlikely that they will try and find a way to use them to regain some of their territory.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2011, 01:35:56 PM »
Tapping Jazra and pointing to some writing on the wall. She will translate it quickly with her eunich explaining. "hurdle the dead, trample the weak, infest the realm" have you ever heard this phrase before? Apparently there is something more here as well. Scratched out is "imperium city this way" replaced by "blocked off"

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 02:14:47 PM »
Without looking up from the inscriptions It's a saying that can be traced back to The Forsaken. It can be found near the Necropolis as well.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #71 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:13 PM »
Ezekiel mutters.
Thanks... too much scum in this city already, Syllia
Examining the scene before him Ezekiel's face contorts slightly in an odd combination of puzzlement and irritaion.
These markings are relatively new... they weren't down here the last time I was which was only a few days ago.
Moreover... Tchik-Chekk's "Nest" doesn't mark territory. Well at least not in any written fashion, they...

Rubs his chin, expression slowly turning grave.
They usually have a soldier or messenger that will approach me, after I wait in this area for awhile. Which I've always been aware, means they watch my back door, or halve a regular patrol though here, but thats simple pragmaticism on both our behalfs... I wonder...

Ezekiel, scans the area nervously.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 27, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
"I don't like this, not at all.  I feel unprepared."  Syllia casts, quickly.

[spoiler]((see invisibility))[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 27, 2011, 09:57:19 PM »
"The phrase is an old one, the mark of a Kyton raider-lord that supposedly the Commisar had put down, though I'm not 100% sure of his demise. We should be on guard here. Down the way is an item emanating a necromantic aura, guarded by some sort of alarm abjuration triggered off of a non-lycan approaching. So, if we can somehow put down the aura without triggering it, our work might be made much simpler. In addition, I believe an observer has sent a warning down the hallway. Be on guard, now.

"If it is our desired object... well, I would recommend normally that we take our time so that we leave a minimum amount of time to be hunted by the competition, but it would not be wise here, so if we could somehow transport it...."

As he senses the transmutation spell go off, keeping his concentration up, he calls out in undercommon not too loudly, but still with a commanding force, "To those of you who would be masters of this place, recognize your ally from the House of Black and White, and seek your rewards for assisting your humble ally once again!"
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:58:52 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 10:16:47 PM »
A moment passes and suddenly a extremely fat, dirty looking Rat hops into view. His body contorts and disfigures into that of a over wieght Human.  
Dressed in rags, the man appears to be about 5'ft tall, and must wiegh nearly 250 lbs. His head is shaven, and he smiles at you with rotten teeth. As he opens his mouth to speak, a stench rolls out that could make a pit fiend lose his lunch.
" Ahh Master of Black & White. How fortunate I am, that of all entrances you should pass into mine. " he takes a deep bow. " They call me Snack. " he looks up at you smiling, the faint torchlight glinting off his beady eyes. He pauses for a brief moment, " Tell me Sir, are your here.... on business? " he smirks, as if he already knows the answer to your question.

((anyone can go ahead and make a sense motive check and spot, or any knowledge checks as well. pm me your results))
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:17:20 PM by dna1 »

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Syllia gasps.  "Wait!"  She points at some of the scurrying rats.  "Explosive Runes..."

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 28, 2011, 12:04:05 AM »
A bright flash surges from (who ever is holding the clear marble), It's glows intensely for a moment, filling the entire cavern with a white-blue aura. Moments later the glow fades. A soft red emanates from within the (pocket/pouch etc).

Snack still crouches on his perch silently. A devious grin on his face.

((upon inspecting the marble you can see the face of another contestant,... one of the four from the House Calasper group. free actions still. also at this time i need a spot check.))

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: October 28, 2011, 12:08:31 AM »
[spoiler]Spot 1d20=8[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 28, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »
[spoiler]Spot Check: 20[/spoiler]

"Check that, could you?" Coron spits quickly at his teammate. He hadn't anticipated the other teams moving so quickly. Still, he returns the bow, respectful and stiff as his role dictated, though he matched the rat's depth out of respect. He heard the warning of the runes, though the chance remained that it wouldn't come to that, well known to the House as thee ratmen were. "Snack, I am Coron Suvroc, though you might know me by the title of Black Bird. My compatriots are searching for an item, taken from the stores of the Magi. Four specific items, one of which we have just been alarmed has been found, have great symbolic value, and judging by the aura, I do believe that whatever it is down this tunnel might be the item we seek. Would you be willing to let us examine this item that is under guard, so that we might determine if it is one such token?

Understand that we will not take it from you; we are not thieves. However, if it is one such item, it has immense value. Any items you took around the same time with similar aura's would interest us greatly. Though if we could purchase such a token from you, I can guarantee you a price for it of and beyond gold.

Would you be so willing, friend of the House?"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:27:42 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »