Author Topic: Chapter 1: The Manipulative and the Subservient - The High Arcana Games  (Read 13921 times)

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Chapter 1: The Manipulative and the Subservient - The High Arcana Games
« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »
I stand in agreement with my companion, we share a common goal and there is no doubt in my mind that with you on our side, our chance of success will increase, ma'am. Jazra's pose is as unchanging as a rock's.

I share his worries as well, but I think I've pushed my luck far enough, for now.
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2011, 10:26:25 AM »
The cold glaive touching his pale skin, Kyle, standing still, still looking at Protea, clears his voice, then speaks. Well... We don't have much of a choice, do we? We seem to share similar objectives and, you don't need me to tell you that, you are far more useful to us than we are to you, so I don't see why we wouldn't accept your offer. His tone is calm, every word wisely chosen, with calculated pauses even.

And now that this matter is out of the way, I'd love to talk about the games. I'm sure you know what lies ahead for us, and I'm also sure you know a lot about the other contestants. We should start discussing these matters because our competition surely will give us a hard time. The advantage you could give us, in the end, could make the difference between winning or losing.

Believe.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2011, 10:44:12 AM »
with a few quick movements Elle makes sure her eunich knows exactly what she wants  said, "My enemy's enemy is my friend, for while we have a common foe at least."
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2011, 11:34:40 AM »
Protea leans back slightly, and waves a hand in dismissal.  The barbazu remove their glaives from your respective necks, and fly up into the air to float near the ceiling.  You can feel their malevolent gaze on you from above -- it's hard not to look up at them every so often.

"I'm glad we understand each other," she whispers, and sits again.  She continues, "You need not worry about my counterparts.  We have an agreement not to interfere with each others' teams, and though that idiot the Ravager will almost certainly try to cheat, he has the subtlety of a zombie troll, so you should be able to use your elixirs to prevent any... mishaps.  Though, of course," she smiles sinisterly, "if any of them do find out, they will probably kill you.  An inconvenience, I suppose..."

She stands again, more animated.  "Now, to the games themselves.  I know nothing about the other contestants, nor do I care.  You have all received training in preparation for these games, and your team was carefully constructed by the Rebellion in order to win them, so you should be able to accomplish your goal without much assistance from me."

"I can tell you that your first challenge will begin one hour from now.  In preparation for the games, the Magi have allowed the ratmen that live in the Dungeon to steal four identical items.  They all have the Imperium's sigil written on them (though it is invisible), and they all give off a faint necromantic aura.  The ratmen do not know what they have."

"You will have 48 hours to collect one of the items.  At the end of that time (and not before), you will return to the auditorium, and the team that does not have an item in their possession will be eliminated.  Until the time limit is up, you can use any and all methods to obtain and secure one of the items (including destroying one of the other teams to procure theirs)."

She tosses a clear glass marble onto the table; it rolls to the center and stops.  "This marble will glow for 3 minutes whenever one of the items is acquired by a contestant in the games.  If you look through it while it is glowing, you will see the face of the person who has the item in their possession, so that you can know which groups to target."

"Finally, here are the rules.  First, Imperial law is still in effect, and the City Watch does not know about the games.  This means that if you are caught breaking a law by one of the Watch, you will have to deal with them as normal.  Second, you will receive a bounty of 50gp for each contestant that you personally eliminate.  Additionally, any gear they carry on them, as well as any other treasure you find while participating in the games, is up for grabs.  Third, the top three teams that complete this challenge will receive a bonus."

She tosses another marble onto the table, this time made of obsidian.  "This marble will allow you to contact me via a sending whenever you wish.  It will only send a message to me, and I will be extremely annoyed if you bother me with trivialities.  I expect you to take care of this on your own.  If you succeed at this challenge adequately, then perhaps for the next one I will take a more direct interest."

She waves another hand, and the barbazu waver out of existence.  She leans forward, placing both fists on the table; the winter wolf begins growling again.  "Do not think to betray me to my peers.  They will destroy you more quickly than I, and with less mercy."

Then she turns and walks out of the room, followed by the wolf.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 11:36:40 AM by sirpercival »
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2011, 01:09:51 PM »
Red ignored the Barbazu summoning, seeing such weak tricks as a cowards trick.
When Protea started threatening him, his eyes flared red and yellow with hate, him keeping only slightly from unleashing his draconic fury.
"Threatening dragons into servitude is a dangerous plan, devil summoner," Red says calmly. "But I'd much rather have one power-hungry false-blood sitting on the throne of the Imperium than 6, so your terms are accepted, throw down the Imperium and make you the empress is a valid stop on the way for dragonkind."
---
After she is done telling them of the mission:
"I have a magical hat that can make me look like a rat-man, or at the very least, a rat-man child, so I'm not afraid of scouting a bit ahead, although I doubt I can speak their tongue, if anyone of you can, I will galdly lend you my hat. I suggest we keep the glass marble clearly visible at all times, would be too bad if someone managed to pick up an item without us realizing it."
He looks around at the party again.
"Do any of you have a spell that can divine the location of these items, for I sure do not."
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2011, 04:52:11 PM »
Kyle

Sadly, I don't have that kind of spell in my book but from what I know about those, you have to be a skilled diviner to locate an object you've never seen, you're not familiar with, and that might be at a great distance from you so, even if some of us had that kind of spell available, we might have a hard time putting it to use.

After a brief pause then, the pale human, speaks again

That said, we have an hour, that means that if I start now, I can use the little time we have to memorize the spells better suited for our task.

That said, Kyle takes out is big spellbook covered in white dragon hide and starts flipping through it.

Any suggestions?and as he speaks turns the spellbook to his companion so that they can read it, and in case give their opinions.

[spoiler]I had 400xp left gain for my level up, so tell me if I'm there yet and if I should update the sheet now or after the first challenge.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 04:59:34 PM by DrHorrible »
Believe.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »
Syllia does not look happy about the turn these events have taken.

"Well..." she hazards, "I don't know how to find these specific ratmen.  However, I'm a Delver, so I can see if any of my contacts have ideas.  They said anything goes, right?  Also, I know a guy who can get us down into the Dungeon, maybe give us a base of operations down there.  He's expensive, though..."

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2011, 05:25:20 PM »
<shimmy shimmy shake> I have some coin I can contribute to acquiring delver's help. It also sounds like the objects we are looking for have been marked in a similar manor to the arcane mark spell. [spoiler]Arcana: (1d20+18=38)[/spoiler]
Perhaps that may be the key for finding these items or confirming them. Also considering the nature of these marbles and their ability to reveal who has one of these objects, perhaps we should find the object and guard its location without actually taking it until near the time to exit.

Also I do have some skill at more mundane methods of finding one who may have these objects. I am a capable tracker and can provide my own light to follow those tracks.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 05:27:14 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2011, 06:56:44 PM »
No longer sure of the protection against prying eyes when Protea leaves, Jazra orders his headband to change his appearance back to that of a living once again. He moves away from the wall, feeling somewhat relieved at not being pinned to it You will have to excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject of divination. But would it not be possible to follow the link from the marble back to the object it is connected to?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 10:04:39 PM »
Syllia has begun looking around nervously.  "I don't know much about divination either... but I wonder whether we should continue our preparations here.  We don't actually know what spells she cast, so this room may not be adequately protected, and I'm sure someone could be spying on us by mundane means.  Also, we have less than an hour to begin the challenge, at which point we probably want to be in the Dungeon, so why don't we go see if I can get access to the Delvers?"

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2011, 11:26:56 AM »
"Sure lets go somewhere else to talk about it, but at the moment we have to wait for the academic to prepare his spells. I suggest we create a bunch of spare items that can be easily confused with the imperial ones if somebody haven't seen them. Those who attempt to turn such an object in would quickly be eliminated from the contest, if none of you know the spell Magic Aura, I can cast it by channeling some ancestral power." The kobold looks around, at the group hoping someone volunteers one of those spells.

"The delvers sound like a plan, whenever you are heading down, contact a delver, whenever you are heading up contact a dragon, as they say." Red continues, unsure of who actually says that, but it probably was something he just made up.
Although I have never seen a rat-man my guess is that from their name they like to attack in ambushes and hordes, so well, I suggest we prepare spells that can help us against ambushes I can easily deal with many enemies. Everyone allied keeps more than 30ft away from me. If you don't I hope you have some serious protection from Force spells. the kobold snickers.
As he flies down to sit on the table, he takes a small egg from his backpack, and eats it raw while talking:
Sorry for that, smish smash, I just got hungry, I usually do that when I talk of killing, smish smash, anyway, unseen servant should be prepared in case of traps. Smish Smash, just have them drag a 50 pound object with a magic aura or arcane mark on it and it should be adequate. He says finally globbering down that egg with a wicked smile

((Do note that this tactic, while sound for a kobold weighing only 32 pounds is not certain to work for guys weighing more than 50 pounds))

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2011, 10:57:50 AM »
Led by Syllia, the party quickly grab their things, retrace their steps, and hurry out of the Citadel.  There are no signs of the other teams, not even in the auditorium (which still reeks faintly of brimstone).

You move with undue haste through the city, the seconds of sand in the hourglass seeming to flow faster and faster, counting down the time until the official start of the challenge.  Finally Syllia stops in front of the weatherbeaten door of a ramshackle one-story building in a very poor section of town, and knocks loudly several times.  You can't help but wonder if she's gotten the right place -- could this "hideout" really be all that secure?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »
Long moments pass, long enough for a chill breeze to wind between the broken down buildings and burnt out elms. It elicits the nagging feeling you are being watched...
Then the door slowly creeps open allowing entrance. The apartment is furnished but looks hovenly, and the two windows are heavily curtained, and with a saftey cage around them. Dim light filters though, but the temperture is pleasant and it isn't nearly as filty as one would expect. There is a figure beckoning to the group from an opening in the wall, and as Syllia leads the party over they discover it leads a large and dusty walk in closet as the last person enters the small areal, the wall slides shut behind them.

Syllia speaks a command word and circumstance beings what they are, there is a brief thought that this might be a trap, there is a jerking sensation like falling down a stairwell and the party finds itself immersed in warm glow and illuminating an open area. The room is sparse, yet with a vast mural covering the walls, tiger-headed men, set in various adventure scenes. Across the room there is a Mahogany skinned gentleman in expensive looking robes his hair is tightly braided hair is white and pulled up into a top-knot, He nods his head first at Syllia, then the rest of the party.
Greetings,
My name is Ezikiel Melrose, welcome to my humble lodging, and home.
... a few things you should be informed of... the password, so you don't die.
The location of the Facilities, of course, the hour meals are served, and policies of my house. Please don't do anything to destroy my house, infest my house, make my house unlivable, a reasonable request I'd imagine, but you'd be surprised at how much that type of obvious thing gets ignored. . .
Ahh yes. Also...

I am not happy to meet you. I am not pleased to make your aquaintance. I'm am infact miserable and petrified that fate has necessitated our meeting together at all...
Dour expression gives way to welcome smile.
I am however pleased that there exist people Brave or reasonable or foolish enough for that matter to take up the cause getting us all "unyoked"
Holds up his talisman given by the imperium.
We who are surely about to die, I salute you.
Come, Come, we've much discuss that we might meet our fates together, later rather than sooner. Do feel free to share the details of what brings you...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:10:50 PM by Midnight_v »
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2011, 02:26:02 PM »
The kobold smiles wickedly at the man, it seems that the only smile he knows is a wicked one grinning all his teeth.
I'm Tir'Acku, but most people call me Red because of the color of my scales. I am certainly not about to die, as I don't intend to get myself killed, although I'll salute you anyway if that's what you are looking for. As for our mission, for now we need to find some items in the undercity, stolen by rat-men.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2011, 02:29:46 PM »
Syllia looks slightly embarrassed.  "Did I mention his ties to the Rebellion?  I think I forgot."

She straightens up brusquely.  "Anyway, that's irrelevant now.  Ezekiel, I'm glad you're willing to help.  Here's our plan: we're participating in the High Arcana games, and could use your help.  We need a hideout and easy access to the Dungeon, so of course I thought of you."

She performs quick introductions.  "As Red laid out, we're looking for some ratmen and the tokens they hold.  Do you know any ratmen?"

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2011, 09:39:31 PM »
"Clever; if we can find them and negotiate the acquisition of more of these items, we could perhaps knock out the bulk of our competition early on...." While Syllia attempted to negotiate assistance, Coron pulled another book from behind his back and started to read it.

"I don't suppose any of you would have objections to attempting the murder of the other groups if at all possible?"

[spoiler]Coron is gonna check and see if he doesn't know of a way to reverse divinate the marble to locate the triggering mechanisms, in this case the items in question.
Knowledge (Arcane): 31
Or would you prefer spellcraft? It'd be the same score either way.

Will also roll to see if he knows anything about the ratmen, or knows of where one might find them.
Knowledge (Dungeoneering): 25
Knowledge (Local): 18
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 04:48:36 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 08:42:07 PM »
Kyle

Kyle's head emerges from his spellbook, where it had been buried until then, in studying.

Well, I'd rather avoid killing when possible. We have a lot of other methods to dispose of our adversaries, some even better than killing, in my opinion. That said, buying more than one might prove dangerous because then every single team partecipating would come looking for our heads and I don't think we could win that kinda fight.
Believe.

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:44 AM »
Jazra nods in a greeting manner when Syllia introduces him. He then turn to the new question that has been addressed. The problem with trying to buy anyone will be that they will probably stab us in the back when they think we trust them. If our money interests them there is nothing stopping them from gathering the price on our heads. I can't imagine someone entered The Games and intended to fight a fair fight.

I will have no problems killing our adversaries if it's required, but I would prefer plotting them against each other. Or, since I suspect we won't be the only ones who use the forbidden arts, having the guard take them out for us would be nice.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 26, 2011, 10:49:21 AM »
Syllia is getting impatient.  "Well, we need to get started.  We can get into the sewers from here.  Coron, any luck with the marble?  I don't like waiting, it's time for action."

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2011, 12:08:20 PM »
I really suggest just killing them unless they are Chorrun Char, in which case they will either be subservient to me, or full-bloods. I especially doubt we can trust the denizens of the Forsaken as well as the Galaspar. And since I highly doubt the town watch will be in big units in the sewers, I think it would be much easier simply to kill any opposition we find, as well as any stray watch-man that wants to report anything about forbidden magic.

He looks to his claws, and the pick he uses as a walking stick as a slight shimmer of frost hisses from his nostrils.
If anyone is terribly afraid that the other teams will use similar marbles as ours, I'm willing to pick up the items. Although I should probably find someone or something to protect me from scrying while I'm doing it. By the way, what do you guys think of creating a few false items? Sure the ones who started the competition would know, and an identify spell would reveal it, but if anybody tries to attack us, giving over a false item would be tremendously useful. We could also drop some, or even replace the items we find, with them. If you guys want, we can mark them with my Arcane Mark, and somebody can throw a Magic Aura on them, does anybody know that spell?
The kobold looks to Syllia, smiling as he is slightly clawing at the pick.
Yeah we should get going as soon as we've made some of that crap.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out