Author Topic: Role-Based Design & Non-Combat Mechanics  (Read 3935 times)

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Role-Based Design & Non-Combat Mechanics
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2011, 01:52:56 AM »
I'm not sure I dig that singe-minded goal idea.

Did you miss the part where I said, "most challenges should be a bit more broad in their potential resolutions than that?" You made a whole post jumping on a type of challenge that I said should not reflect much of the game? And, in fact, the exact type of challenge that is every single combat encounter in D&D.

If killing the vampire is the only way to achieve the players' goals, then doing anything else to the vampire doesn't achieve the players' goals.

The players are obviously in control of whatever it is they want to do. Then, as normal, the GM determines how hard that will be to do, sometimes telling the players, sometimes not. If they still want to do it, then they do. If not, they decide on a new course of action.

If the players can't even agree on what their goals are, then maybe they should be playing a group-based, cooperative storytelling RPG?

What determines Resistance? CON obviously doesn't, since it is also social. But why would WIS or CHA let you live longer in combat? Would you have a different resitance value depending on the situation?[/quote]

Well, obviously, that is something that needs to be determined. As is what ability scores the game would even use.

What if you are being attacked, but are trying to hold a decent conversation with your attacker, between exchanging blows? What sort of encounter is that?

This type of game would be less about "what type of encounter is this?" and more about "is this a challenge, and if so, how am I going to go about overcoming this challenge?" In the "you are attacked but you want to talk to the attacker" situation, I assume the challenge would be "stop the guy from attacking me," but that would really be up to the player. Then, however the player chooses to stop the guy from attacking him, the GM determines how difficult it will be and everything follows from there.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Role-Based Design & Non-Combat Mechanics
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 06:44:23 AM »
Note that converting an opponent(especially a honorable foe sort) between clashing swords is not that rare a trope. It can even be one character attacking on both angles, fighting while talking as a free action to change their mind(which usually ends the fight anyway, but also includes egging the opponent on to fight you to the death even if they're obviously losing etc).

I'm somewhat more concerned about the difference is goal scope:
Say in the first encounter, the bard's goal is to get the vampire to stop fighting(by seducing her). The vampire's goal is to kill the bard.
In the second encounter, the bard now wants to up the ante, he wants to get the vampire to swear off human blood. The vampire's goal is to charm the bard into becoming her minion(because damn that bard is hot).

So in the first scenario, the bard's goal is social, and scene based. It only needs to last for the scene. The vampire's goal is physical, and rather permanent. Should there be a difficulty difference? It rather puts the short term goal at an advantage if the short term goal prevents the long from working. So both spheres are at work at the same time here.

In the second scenario, its simpler, both the vampire and bard are playing for high stakes, but can they chicken out if they find their resistance dropping? Abort to physical combat? Switch to lower stakes?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."