Author Topic: [3.5]Monstrous Creation - Demonfang Mark III  (Read 1072 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
[3.5]Monstrous Creation - Demonfang Mark III
« on: August 02, 2008, 04:25:39 AM »
Preface: So I was planning out a campaign that, sadly, died prematurely. In doing so, I designed this monstrosity for a climactic fight.  I just today, much like my Apothecary PrC found this guy again. I never got to the real juicy part (naming him, which I always find fun and challenging, as a DM). So yeah, I'm posting it here in its 3rd incarnation. Feel free to critique it, let me know if you see glaring weakness, etc. Also, if possible, I'd like someone to let me know what they think the CR should be, because I never manage to nail those down right.

Demonfang Mark III[spoiler]
Demonfang Mark III
Huge Magical Beast (Fire)

Hit Dice: 28d10 + 196 (350 HP)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 100 ft (20 squares)
Armor Class: 45 (-2 size, +5 Dex, +5 Wis, +3 Monk, +4 Deflection, +5 Luck, +5 Profane, +10 natural), touch 35, flat-footed 45
Base Attack/Grapple: +28/+47
Attack: +39 bite (6d6+13 plus trip) 17-20/x3 or +39 claw (3d6+13) 19-20/x2
Full Attack: +39/+39/+34/+29/+24/+19 claws (3d6+13) 19-20/x2 and +39 bite (6d6+7 plus trip) 17-20/x3
Space/Reach: 15 ft./15 ft. (20 ft. with bite)
Special Attacks: Breath Weapon, Cursed Wound, Pounce, Rend 3d8+18, Trip, spell-like abilities, augmented critical
Special Qualities: Frightful Presence, Damage Reduction 15/chaotic and cold iron, Darkvision 120 ft., Immunity to fire and enchantment, see in darkness, scent, dimension door, trackless step, true sight, Spell Resistance 27, Blessing of Waryt
Saves: Fort +23, Ref +21, Will +16
Abilities: Str 32, Dex 20, Con 25, Int 17, Wis 20, Cha 21
Skills: Hide +36, Intimidate +36, Jump +39, Listen +40, Move Silently +40, Spot +40
Feats: Iron Will (B), Multiattack (B), Improved Multiattack, Rapidstrike, Improved Rapidstrike, Combat Reflexes (B), Improved Natural Attack (Bite) (B), Improved Natural Attack (Claw), Large and In Charge, Hold the Line, Suppress Weakness, Overcome Weakness, Spellcasting Harrier, Maximize Breath
Environment: Any but cold
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: ?????
Treasure: Blessing of Waryt (See below)
Alignment: Always Lawful Evil
Advancement: 29-56 HD (Huge); 57-84 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: --

Breath WeaponCursed WoundPounce (Ex): When Demonfang Mark III makes a charge, it can follow with a full attack.

RendTrip (Ex): If Demonfang Mark III hits with a bite attack, it can attempt to trip the opponent (+19 check modifier) as a free action without making a touch attack or provoking an attack of opportunity. If the attempt fails, the opponent cannot react to trip Demonfang Mark III.

Spell-like abilities (Sp): At will-invisibility, blood wind (80 ft. range instead of 20 ft.) Caster Level 14.

Augmented Critical (Ex): Demonfang Mark III's bite attack threatens a critical on a natural role of 19-20.  On a successful critical hit with a bite attack, Demonfang Mark III deals triple damage.

Frightful Presence (Ex): Demonfang Mark III can unsettle foes with its mere presence. The ability takes effect automatically whenever the it attacks or charges. Creatures within a radius of 180 ft. are subject to the effect if they have fewer HD than Demonfang Mark III. A potentially affected creature that succeeds on a Will save 29 (DC 10 + 1/2 HD + Cha modifier) remains immune to the frightful presence for 24 hours. On a failure, creatures with 4 or less HD become panicked for 4d6 rounds and those with 5 or more HD become shaken for 4d6 rounds. Canines ignore the frightful presence of Demonfang Mark III.

See in Darkness (Su): Demonfang Mark III can see perfectly in darkness of any kind, even that created by a deeper darkness spell.

Dimension Door (Su): Demonfang Mark III can teleport, as dimension door (caster level 14th), once per round as a free action. The ability affects only Demonfang Mark III, which never appears within a solid object and can act immediately after teleporting.

Trackless Step (Ex): Demonfang Mark III leaves no trail in natural surroundings and cannot be tracked. It may choose to leave a trail if so desired.

True Sight (Su): Demonfang Mark III always sees as if under the effect of a true seeing spell.

Blessing of Waryt (Su): The Blessing of Waryt has many benefits.  Demonfang Mark III can add its Wisdom bonus to armor, see the monk's class feature.  It also gains the AC bonus of a monk of its hit dice.  The blessing grants it a deflection bonus to armor equal to HD/6. It also allows Demonfang Mark III to add its Charisma modifier as both a luck and profane bonus to armor.  Finally, the blessing treats all of Demonfang Mark III's natural attacks as +2 Keen, Ghost-touch weapons.  If a creature drinks a dose of unholy water from the skull of Demonfang Mark III once it is dead, the creature falls into a coma (Will DC 40) and its soul is sent to Waryt's demiplane.  Upon acceptance of a proposed deal with Waryt, the creature may gain one or more of the abilities of the Blessing of Waryt.  Whether the deal is accepted or not, the creature returns to its body 1d12 hours later, assuming it is still living.  Attempts to divine the location of the spirit whie in Waryt's demiplane by mortal magic automatically fail.

Skills: Demonfang Mark III has a +4 racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently and Spot checks, and a +8 racial bonus on Hide checks.[/spoiler]

I'm not an artist, so I can't draw it, but picture a giant wolf/nightmare hybrid and you're getting close. Dark fur, flaming tail (possibly paws?) that can be extinguished, ignited at will... Dark glowing red eyes, like everyone sees in the darkness in all those shows ;)  That kind of stuff.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie