Author Topic: Advertising 3.5 Sandbox CO-Friendly Campaign: Black Marches  (Read 9702 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Advertising 3.5 Sandbox CO-Friendly Campaign: Black Marches
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 01:36:08 PM »
I want to know if I'm allowed to roll a Dread Necro with ambitions to enact the Wightocalypse.  (Well, he'll actually be more likely to use Ghouls as his bread-and-butter undead minions, anyway, but you get the idea...)

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
An environmental strongheart would be fine, as far as pictures go just use a placeholder that is similar to your character and you can change it later.  Yes, you can drop in and out of Adventures at your leisure.  Intending or attempting to start a wightacalypse would not be a problem ;)

Flaws are allowed, max of 2 per the rules.  Reflavoring is fine and encouraged. Yeup if Factotums get all Sorc/ Wiz spells, that includes Sorc spells that aren't wizard spells.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 01:57:44 PM »
Awesome.  I'll have to keep this game in mind, then.  I'm hoping for some nighttime employment at a part time job, so as of yet I'm not sure I'll have either Tuesday OR Wednesday available for much more than the next week or two (I'm semi-confident I'll have Wednesdays off).

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 02:15:46 PM »
Is the extra +2 to a stat just any stat, or would I have to select Charisma for a halfling?

Ikeren

• Email
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 02:18:28 PM »
I wish my life was in a place where I would be able to do this.

Alas, it is not.

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 03:46:00 PM »
An extra +2 to a stat that your race does not already have a bonus or penalty in for non pathfinder races

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 03:59:09 PM »
I was wondering if I could worship an ancestor dragon for access to law, luck, and travel domains.  I'm really only interested in the luck domain (for the reroll), but want the travel and law devotions.  I'm also not seeing access to dragon magazine things and keen intellect is the 3.5 update of Oriental Adventures, while faerie mysteries is a greyhawk regional feat.  My entire build suffers horrendously without those feats.  I plan on doing melee and not archery.

Also notices that iaijutsu skill is 1x per round, but like I said, I'm ignoring it.  Pathfinder already has the vital strike line for a fair version of that.  I also plan on only using cunning surge 1x per round when I get it at level 9.

Are you doing the Pathfinder favored class bonus, or the 3.5 experience penalty for multiclass control?  I plan on going strait Factotum after the initial cloistered dip.  Chameleon is too much of a headache(especially since I'm planning on dumping wisdom).  I'd like the option of 1/4 inspiration points if you are using the favored class bonus.  Inspiration makes the class go round.

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 04:23:44 PM »
@x-codes

By all means take care of RL first.  Keep in mind that other players may opt to DM games as well and will do so according to their own schedule that may coincide better with yours.  Also many times players would hang out in an Openrpg Black Marches chatroom and when sufficient interest came, would DM a game on the spot, the same will likely happen again here.

@Bester  As per character creation all sources including greyhawk are allowed, anything setting specific is refluffed.  Dragon material is allowed on a per request basis with the relevant detail.  Just post a formal request in the requests forum With the mechanics and I'll likely allow it.  Clerics in 3.5 can gain spells and domains from merely worshipping their ideals, so you can certainly worship your ancestor.  There are no multiclassing penalties and I wasn't planning on implementing a favored class bonus unless there was strong demand.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 04:25:34 PM »
I almost want to join as a Monk. Not some gia related thing, just to see what I could do with it's ACFs.

But I don't know Pathfinder and a CO game as a Monk? Is it even viable? Plus I can't be around Tuesdays, prior commitments. :(
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 04:41:07 PM »
Ah, I see, so this is like some kind of online ultimate living greyhawk kind of deal, is it?  Sounds cool.

Jackinthegreen

• Email
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 04:42:43 PM »
This sounds quite fun, although I'd have to take care of a few IRL things first.  It'll be nice to have some socialization, even if it's through VOIP.

Bester

• Email
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2011, 04:49:17 PM »
There are no multiclassing penalties and I wasn't planning on implementing a favored class bonus unless there was strong demand.

I'd vote yes for such a measure.  The only time I would strongly demand such a thing would be if I were playing a half-elf summoner, because the favored class bonus is why you play that race.  Other than that, it's just +1 HP per level of favored class or +1 skill point.  It's so simple, but for classes that get points (like factos, summoner, monk, magus), if your race gives you more of those points it's a good reason to play that race.  Usually human gives the best all around and the other races pick up from there.  It's something to consider.  I just homebrew suggested the extra inspiration points thing because factos can never have enough of those.  There is precedence for 1/4 points with the other point classes.  Of course a Facto can probably make better use of said points, so a 1/5 or 1/6 might be appropriate.  I glanced at another factotum's sheet on the site and it seems his cheese was iaijutsu and quickrazers.  Trust me, I don't go that extreme.  My cheese starts out strong and evens out around level 9.  Then it's just a double turn single strike fighter.

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2011, 05:01:39 PM »
Post the explicit mechanics for your idea / tweak and in the requests forum and the players will vote on it later :)

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2011, 06:17:14 PM »
Would we be able to delay a flaw one level or would that be too problematic?

Bester

• Email
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 07:14:45 PM »
I'm almost done with my character sheet.  I just need to know if we are getting free clothing and if it will weigh anything.  I've got 2 lbs to spare on just my armor and weapon alone.  Also the point buy calculator is a dead link so I just used 3.5 point buy.  My stats will look very strange because I have a 6 wisdom thanks to the pathetic flaw which I qualified for (also too shakey to cement that it is a melee character).  I would say I prefer the Pathfinder point buy, but that would deny me the flaw.  Fyi, my character is very asian in flavor.  I hope that won't be a problem.  It's not so I can get iaijutsu, it's just the character I've been trying to play since 2nd edition as a fighter.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2011, 07:21:34 PM »
5 PM Pacific
  :bigeye
I just realized what that means. I totally can't play... ACHK!
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2011, 07:39:04 PM »
There are no multiclassing penalties and I wasn't planning on implementing a favored class bonus unless there was strong demand.
If you do implement it, I'd suggest letting characters treat all classes as favored classes. You get the interesting bits, but aren't punished for multiclassing (much).
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Bester

• Email
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2011, 07:44:48 PM »
I was just wondering what the consensus is on nightsticks and reliquary holy symbols.  I plan on fueling the hell out of law and travel devotion but don't require multiple nightsticks to do so (1 and symbol is enough).  Can't wait till levels 2, 4, and 9.  Also, are we using fractional BAB for multiclassing?

I haven't used the favored class bonus in my Pathfinder game, but some options are better than others.  I'd really love 1/4 inspiration points, but there is no Factotum in Pathfinder.  It's a good thing the author of that class and the guy who made PF know each other.

« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
5 PM Pacific
  :bigeye
I just realized what that means. I totally can't play... ACHK!

Living in Eastern Time zone eh?
I almost want to join as a Monk. Not some gia related thing, just to see what I could do with it's ACFs.

But I don't know Pathfinder and a CO game as a Monk? Is it even viable? Plus I can't be around Tuesdays, prior commitments. Sad

That's a houserule I forgot to implement, Monks will be given Full BAB.  My Tuesday games will be temporary as my wife is teaching a class on that day for a month or so, and Wednesday will be my more regular game time for the moment, also same thing I said to X-Codes.

@Bester I added a new link for the Pointbuy calculator, I may change it later, bonus for bonus, you get less bang for your buck with Pathfinder though.  You get a free Traveler's outfit and I added that to the wiki explicitly, it weighs 5 lbs per the srd, though you could sell it and buy a peasant's outfit for 1 sp which weighs 2 lbs.

As per 3.5 rules, untyped sources stack and thus nightsticks and reliquary holy symbols stack.

You can use fractional BAB if you wish.

@All

I'll be in and out of the chatroom and forum tonight and I'll set up a Game in OpenRPG Blackstar Server to discuss character creation for tomorrow and Wednesday's game.