Author Topic: Advertising 3.5 Sandbox CO-Friendly Campaign: Black Marches  (Read 9668 times)

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Advertising 3.5 Sandbox CO-Friendly Campaign: Black Marches
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:44:59 AM »
I'm not sure what's the most appropriate place to post this, but since this game isn't PBP and I am directly targeting optimizers as ideal players, I figured this would be an ok place to post this (mods please don't kill me).

I'd like to Invite all the Optimizers of this board to join my campaign setting:

Name: Black Marches
System: D&D 3.5
Format: OpenRPG with Skype or Teamspeak
Material Allowed: All Wotc 3.5 and more, see Here
Starting Level: 1 , this will increase as the campaign continues.  If you want to play an LA race, you may opt to do a 1 time character reset when you gain levels.
Maximum Players: Unlimited
Campaign Length: Intended to last for years.
Other Rules: Please see Here

I will be running a game this Tuesday and Wednesday at 5 PM Pacific on the OpenRPG Black Star Games Server.  If you are unable to make it then, continue checking the site, adventures will continue to be advertised Here

Thanks, it'd be great to see some of you.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Advertising 3.5 Sandbox CO-Friendly Campaign: Black Marches
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:54:06 AM »
This isn't really the place for such threads...
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

nightshade

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:05:18 AM »
This isn't really the place for such threads...

I think it is, as long as he targets optimizers to play with him. I'd be interested but i think that the language would cause some problems, since english isn't my native language

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:50:48 AM »
I'm not sure what's the most appropriate place to post this, but since this game isn't PBP and I am directly targeting optimizers as ideal players, I figured this would be an ok place to post this (mods please don't kill me).

I'd like to Invite all the Optimizers of this board to join my campaign setting:

Name: Black Marches
System: D&D 3.5
Format: OpenRPG with Skype or Teamspeak
Material Allowed: All Wotc 3.5 and more, see Here
Starting Level: 1 , this will increase as the campaign continues.  If you want to play an LA race, you may opt to do a 1 time character reset when you gain levels.
Maximum Players: Unlimited
Campaign Length: Intended to last for years.
Other Rules: Please see Here

I will be running a game this Tuesday and Wednesday at 5 PM Pacific on the OpenRPG Black Star Games Server.  If you are unable to make it then, continue checking the site, adventures will continue to be advertised Here

Thanks, it'd be great to see some of you.
I agree this IS the right place for it. Guess I got a couple days to pull something together.
Wow... Thank you Bill Bisco! Is this related to the western marches style gaming? I read an article on that the other day. I've never heard of open rpg, and I dont' have skype or team speak... uhm... I guess I'll look into downloading them
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 09:03:49 AM »
Basically it's mostly Pathfinder rules, which is nice.  There is absolutely no reason for a rogue not to take able learner as their first feat.  That's okay, because there is absolutely no reason to play a rogue, or anything less than tier 1 for an optimizer.

Fyi, Pathfinder starting races are considered to be the equivalent of 3.5's LA +1 races.  You should probably give a free +1 LA for 3.5 races.  I'd be interested in such a game only if players were limited to tier 3 or 4 classes. Rocket tag is boring.  Trust me, without such precautions, you're looking at low to mid level wizards casting celerity and shivering touch for an I win button.  This is only after the players have stolen your notes with divination spells.  Makes for a fantastic game.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 09:28:44 AM »
There is a gentlemen's rule in effect, it says... self-moderation is the key.
I mean the details of that surely overwhelm the Co-friendly nature of things.
There's no playing pun-pun etc. Finding the limit of whats acceptable is important, but
it seems like theres a venue for that to be discussed.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Bester

• Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:41:27 AM »
I tend to get excited when there's an all options open game because it makes tier 3s and 4s very nice to play.  Unfortunately it has the effect of making the higher tier classes just disgusting.  Gentlemen's agreement or not, a druid with natural spell is going to make any of my tier 3 options...unplayable.  Now, add in greenbound, ashbound, planar shepard, need I go on?  Better to nip such issues in the bud.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »
 I don't think a druid with natural spell makes an optimized tier 3 "unplayable" but I note the caveat you add "My tier 3 options" so I can't really express somekind of limiter on that. I personally probbably won't be playing a druid w/natural spell, but I'd hate to think someone wasn't allowed to play one, as this is advertised as being pointed as an open invitation to optimizers.

I also want to say that optimization isn't about ending up with the most powerful build, its about knowing the minimums and maximums so you can find the "sweet spot" that is to say the proper mechanics to represent your character ideal.
Bears mentioning.

Bester

• Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
After reading the first rule in the gentlemen's agreement on the site, I have to say that it spells out to me that nobody can play a tier 1 or an optimized tier 2.

It says that you shouldn't strive to remove challenge, and those classes JUST DO THAT without optimization.  I have to assume the powerful divinations are out as well.

Druid and most tier 1+2s flavor can be duplicated with tier 3s.  Druid=wildshaping ranger.  Most optimisers realize this.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 10:30:48 AM »
After reading the first rule in the gentlemen's agreement on the site, I have to say that it spells out to me that nobody can play a tier 1 or an optimized tier 2.

It says that you shouldn't strive to remove challenge, and those classes JUST DO THAT without optimization.  I have to assume the powerful divinations are out as well.

Druid and most tier 1+2s flavor can be duplicated with tier 3s.  Druid=wildshaping ranger.  Most optimisers realize this.
+1 for reading. I"m told its fundamental...

Bill Bisco: Eloquent Elf

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »
I think it is, as long as he targets optimizers to play with him. I'd be interested but i think that the language would cause some problems, since english isn't my native language

As long as you are connected to Skype or Teamspeak and can hear and understand what I say then we are good.  If you want to merely just type out what you say and do that'll be alright.  The voice chat is that I myself can narrate and more the flow, the game goes phenominally quicker when the DM speaks rather than types.

I agree this IS the right place for it. Guess I got a couple days to pull something together.
Wow... Thank you Bill Bisco! Is this related to the western marches style gaming? I read an article on that the other day. I've never heard of open rpg, and I dont' have skype or team speak... uhm... I guess I'll look into downloading them

Yes this is related to Western Marches style gaming, the difference is that it does not eschew city adventuring or overall plots and that there can be more than 1 DM.  Yeup, just download them, I guess I should have provided some links earlier, but they're not hard to find.  Look forward to seeing you.

Basically it's mostly Pathfinder rules, which is nice.  There is absolutely no reason for a rogue not to take able learner as their first feat.  That's okay, because there is absolutely no reason to play a rogue, or anything less than tier 1 for an optimizer.
I'm including more feats, allowing pathfinder classes, combining skills, and going by the explicit wealth, encounter, and leveling charts from pathfinder, other than that 3.5 is the primary source.  I forgot to include an extra +2 to a stat, I'll have to edit that in.

Fyi, Pathfinder starting races are considered to be the equivalent of 3.5's LA +1 races.  You should probably give a free +1 LA for 3.5 races.  I'd be interested in such a game only if players were limited to tier 3 or 4 classes. Rocket tag is boring.  Trust me, without such precautions, you're looking at low to mid level wizards casting celerity and shivering touch for an I win button.  This is only after the players have stolen your notes with divination spells.  Makes for a fantastic game.
I'm not really worried about Celerity or Shivering touch, and rocket launcher tag is possible with a guy on a horse.  People should play what they enjoy and use this game as an avenue to play something they have otherwise been unable to before.  If the DM seems to be having a really hard time with one type of character, a player might be asked to tone down their character for the sake as a group, never as a punishment for doing well.  That being said I've never encountered problems even among CO-ers I've DMed for, they tend to be among the more mature players I've seen, and if there were actual problems we'd talk about it like Gentlemen (and Gentleladies). 

I don't think a druid with natural spell makes an optimized tier 3 "unplayable" but I note the caveat you add "My tier 3 options" so I can't really express somekind of limiter on that. I personally probbably won't be playing a druid w/natural spell, but I'd hate to think someone wasn't allowed to play one, as this is advertised as being pointed as an open invitation to optimizers.

I also want to say that optimization isn't about ending up with the most powerful build, its about knowing the minimums and maximums so you can find the "sweet spot" that is to say the proper mechanics to represent your character ideal.
Bears mentioning.

Bingo.  If you know the ins and outs of Tier 1 Characters and you feel that playing one would be too much, then please play something you'd be more comfortable with  :)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 11:20:04 AM »
I made an account with wiki dot... I guess I have to wait for approval from an admistrator? I also am at a loss for story on the black marches, though we have plenty of black marches history "of how we got to this webpage" so I'm at a bit of a loss. I think I'll round up some folk if I can...

Edit: just type "gary"... :p
Edit2: I... I think I'll just shut up and do more site exploring.  :blush
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:25:46 AM by Midnight_v »

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 11:25:42 AM »
Hmm, tempted but if you're 3 hours behind me I only have an hour before class on Wednesday... would that be a difficulty? I.e. could I apply to participate in only some of the adventures?

I'm probably one of those people who likes to optimize tier 1-2 characters but plays them with limited enough effectiveness to not exactly negate challenges. xD

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 11:27:30 AM »
I recently read about these "marches" games and I think the whole point is for those of us
with real lives to be able to hop in hop out of games when convienent.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 11:32:30 AM »
Neat. I'll go for it then.

Wait, must provide a picture? ... That might be hard to draw by tomorrow.

Bester

• Email
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:15 AM »
Sorry if I seemed to have over-reacted but I've had bad experiences playing a fighter in 2nd edition.  I've also had bad experiences playing a fighter in 3.5.  At least I never tried a monk!

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 12:03:14 PM »
So character creation question, would it be reasonable to use both the Strongheart Halfling racial variant, and the Water Halfling racial variant; or alternately Jungle and Water? I'm kinda seeing myself from that swampy part of town.

Bester

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 12:25:47 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking of going silverbrow human factotum.  I don't like the flavor of any of the optimal feats for that, so I'd want them to be re-flavored (yeah, lets have sex with nymphs for 2 of the best feats!).  Is it also okay to take the sorcerer only spells in dragon magic as a factotum (says they get access to all sorc/wiz but it's iffy)?

No iaijitsu cheese, but maybe a cloistered cleric(UA NOT PF) dip for pure combat power.  Hit it with your mind...minus the psionics.  Definitely a tier 3 I've been wanting to try out (a fighter that works!).

Also, Pathfinder Synthesist would be neat.  I'm thinking of a character like Terra from Final Fantasy 6 who transforms into an esper.  Actually, I'd probably make it Earth Maiden Arjuna instead.  A tier 2 for sure.  We'd have to discuss if summoning the eidolon with the 2nd level spell means it can apply the augment summoning feat (it should and would be the primary way of summoning it reguardless).  I'm trying to get IRL games going but everybody seems to be dropping out!

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
Well I -was- thinking about going unseelie fey if you don't want to reflavor.  :p
Worried about the risk of getting things like tremorsense rather than eyes though. Might need a seeing-eye raven rather than the viper I'd been hoping for, for first level.

Bester

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2011, 01:09:04 PM »
Well I -was- thinking about going unseelie fey if you don't want to reflavor.  :p

lol, curse you nymph's kiss and fairie mysteries.  I didn't see if flaws were allowed, but if they are, my first 4 feats are gonna be those and dragon updated keen intellect with a font.  Dumping wisdom completely.  Super smart, but lacks common sense.  Somehow it doesn't matter.  Of course, that is a fatal flaw if wisdom damage is common, which I hope it won't be (so I don't have to waste a feat to fix it).

Anywho, it's ironic that a cloistered cleric dip is still the best choice for someone with no wisdom.