Author Topic: What does the Dungeoncrasher Fighter do?  (Read 43547 times)

Libertad

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
What does the Dungeoncrasher Fighter do?
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:34:04 AM »
I've heard about the Dungeoncrasher alternate class feature.  Since I don't own Dungeonscape I don't know the specifics.

What makes Dungeoncrasher so effective?  From what I've surmised it sounds like the Fighter trades in two bonus feats to get bonuses to damage rolls and bull rush attempts.  I may be wrong though.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 02:36:10 AM by Libertad »

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: What does the Dungeoncrasher Fighter do?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:43:07 AM »
Level: 2nd.
Replaces: If you select this alternative class feature, you do not gain the fighter bonus feats at 2nd level and at 6th level.
Benefit: You excel at overwhelming traps, smashing through doors, and pushing aside your enemies. At 2nd level, you gain a +2 competence bonus on saves and to your Armor Class when attacked by traps. You also gain a +5 bonus on Strength checks to break a door, wall, or similar obstacle.
In addition, you gain a special benefit when making a bull rush. If you force an opponent to move into a wall or other solid object, he stops as normal. However, your momentum crushes him against it, dealing an amount of bludgeoning damage equal to 4d6 points + twice your Strength bonus (if any).
At 6th level, the bonuses when dealing with traps increase to +4, and the bonus on Strength checks to break objects increases to +10. The damage you deal when bull rushing an opponent into a wall increases to 8d6 points + three times your Strength bonus.

---

Not much on its own unless you're one of those DMs that thinks fighters aren't allowed to have nice things, in which case it's too much.  It gets better with the Directed Bull Rush maneuver of the Shock Trooper feat, or with flight and dribbling the opponent off the floor like a basketball.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 06:36:56 AM »
I've heard about the Dungeoncrasher alternate class feature.  Since I don't own Dungeonscape I don't know the specifics.

What makes Dungeoncrasher so effective?  From what I've surmised it sounds like the Fighter trades in two bonus feats to get bonuses to damage rolls and bull rush attempts.  I may be wrong though.
Nothing really. The concept as Weenog mentions is to combine with Shock Trooper to shove them down the length of a wall repeatedly slamming them against it and then following up with your attacks, it is a quick and dirty method for adding another couple hundred damage to an already several thousands worth.

Personally, it's inferior. Lion Totem gives full blown Pounce as a single level dip, or can be paid for with a hair less damage for the weapon base. A Lance of the Neverending Charge let's to puree everything in the range of your movement. Even the ability to Full-Attack by using teleport effects (called shadow pounce) can be obtained as a four level investment. To gain an ability that isn't even remotely as good of those traits and ultimately has problems even working as a six level investment, it just isn't worth it. However, as the only thing the fighter has, people like to bring it up like it's special.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »
I think the coolest thing I've seen with Dungeoncrasher is combining it with all the weird shield slam/trip/charge feats to smash people with your shield, hitting them into allies, making them take damage and fall prone, then triggering an extra attack via Improved Trip. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember Jaron creating a shield fighter to see if optimized Sword & Board was possible. It ended up really just being Board, since the sword wasn't actually doing much. :p

Other than that, I agree with SorO in that a Pounce charger will already do tons of damage with Whirling Frenzy, Leap Attack, and Power Attack. Add in Frenzied Berserker for more damage, and you likely won't have the levels available to get to Fighter 6 until nearly 20th level.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:50 AM »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »
I'm told if you can fly you can knock people prone by bull rushing them into the ground as you move past.
With that weapon that causes bull rushes brutal surge I think, that gets pretty interesting, as one of the flying races.
You can basically build a hawkman, lite.
All in all its some minor bonuses to an otherwise unsused attack form i.e. "Bullrush", but as weenog say's it's one of those nice things that fighters get. If you can reconcile the cost.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 02:17:58 PM »
It's just another way of dealing damage with a pseudo-style instead of going all ubercharger again.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Andras

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
Play a Goliath Barbarian with RSL1 Mountain Rage plus Fighter 6.

You actually become large when raging, that's more reach and a little extra Str.

Use Knockdown and Power attack to initiate Bullrush attempts with your weapon. Knock enemies into a wall.

If you're using a large Spiked Chain you deal 2d6+1.5str + 8d6+3x Str if they hit a solid object.

Once the enemy is against a solid object it's just a brutal bonus damage beat down.

Shocktrooper lets you push the enemy off at an angle if that makes it easier to hit a wall.

20' reach + Combat reflexes = enough said.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 11:45:39 PM by Andras »

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 09:34:39 PM »
I think the coolest thing I've seen with Dungeoncrasher is combining it with all the weird shield slam/trip/charge feats to smash people with your shield, hitting them into allies, making them take damage and fall prone, then triggering an extra attack via Improved Trip. I don't remember the specifics, but I remember Jaron creating a shield fighter to see if optimized Sword & Board was possible. It ended up really just being Board, since the sword wasn't actually doing much. :p

The sword was really important!  It looks sexy in its sheath on your back, you can use it to spit a pig and cook it at night...

Okay, yeah, it was pretty much just a "smash with shield" build.  But it certainly worked.  Knockback ensured that anyone who didn't die immediately would be in position to be charged next round, and the Dungeoncrasher bit just meant a lot more damage hit home.

JaronK

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
Is there a psionic power that lets you create a "wall"? Because I remember thinking I'd like to create a half-giant psionic dungeoncrasher who made sure there was always a "wall" to smack people into.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 04:04:46 AM »
Is there a psionic power that lets you create a "wall"? Because I remember thinking I'd like to create a half-giant psionic dungeoncrasher who made sure there was always a "wall" to smack people into.
Wall of Ectoplasm. 'might not do, I guess.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 08:06:52 AM »
A one-level dip into Focused Conjurer, for Abrupt Jaunt and the Blockade spell? That's a dip that's nice on any kind of melee build, anyway.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 10:10:08 AM »
A one-level dip into Focused Conjurer, for Abrupt Jaunt and the Blockade spell? That's a dip that's nice on any kind of melee build, anyway.
What book is Blockade in?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 10:12:35 AM »
What book is Blockade in?

Complete Scoundrel.

AtomicKitKat

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »
Reminds me of the good times I had playing a Smite-din in Diablo 2. Until you get to physical immune... :fu That game should never have had immunities(most glaringly obvious with a single-element Sorceress).

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
Reminds me of the good times I had playing a Smite-din in Diablo 2. Until you get to physical immune... :fu That game should never have had immunities(most glaringly obvious with a single-element Sorceress).

I always figured if you can't do substantial quantities of at least 3 kinds of damage, you're not cut out for Hell and its dual-immune enemies.  And if you're not cut out for Hell, there's not much point playing.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 07:50:03 PM »
There's Wall of Ectoplasm (as has been stated), and you might use the Foxhole power from Untapped Potential for something similar.

The thing to do is to Link a Wall of Ectoplasm (or a Foxhole) to an Energy Wall (or just manifest an Energy Wall in front of a normal wall) and keep the Energy Wall a foot or so away from the solid wall. Then dungeoncrash through the Energy Wall into the actual wall, and they'll take quite a bit of energy damage in addition to the attack and dungeoncrash damage.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 11:01:41 PM »
^There is no kill like overkill..?
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
^There is no kill like overkill..?
There's no point in kill without overkill.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2011, 11:15:44 PM »
^That's utterly wasted resources. [edit] Depending on the situtation. [/edit]
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week: