Author Topic: Making "per day" class abilities "at-will"  (Read 4777 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Making "per day" class abilities "at-will"
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »
What if we made some of the "per day" class features "at-will" instead? I know that there are ones that would probably brake the game if players where allowed to spam them, but what harm would it cause if for example Paladins Smite Evil, Barbarians Rage or Monks Abundant Step would be "at-will"?
Which abilities do you think are good candidates for this change?
Which abilities could need some more uses per day to be relevant?
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Making "per day" class abilities "at-will"
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
At will rage would make barbarians even more diptastic.

At will Smite Evil wouldn't hurt a thing; it scales on class level. It would probably help to shore up paladins.

The bulk of monk's per-day abilities could be at-will and not hurt a thing.

Almost any direct damage spell (pre metamagic) could be at will without hurting the game much (you use the slot, but you cast at will off of it).

At will healing means everyone is at full HP every fight. There are already lots of ways to do this, but people often avoid them or don't know about them and are deeply offended by them.

All in all, I think judicious use of this method could help a lot of things.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 07:05:56 PM »
Spit-balling, probably 80% of per/day abilities could be 'at will' and make the game better.

You just need to be careful for the ones that can ruin the game. Summons, callings, creation, enchantments, buffs... these can be dangerous.

Unbeliever

• King Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 07:43:26 PM »
As I've mentioned in another thread, I happen to be a fan of per encounter type of abilities, perhaps with a recharge akin to ToB or Force Powers in Star Wars.

Per day type of abilities can be included with a kind of exhaustion mechanic, though you'd need ways to avoid it being circumvented (viz. Celerity). 

One more thought:  a lot of the more worrisome abilities, like buffs or summons, could be mitigated by including a "you can only have 1 of these in effect" type of language.  Bull Strength at will is essentially all-day +4 strength, but you could limit it to one character. 

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:13:13 AM »
I'm not sure. In PF (which I play) it has already more then enough of use time. :/

At will Smite Evil wouldn't hurt a thing; it scales on class level. It would probably help to shore up paladins.

The bulk of monk's per-day abilities could be at-will and not hurt a thing.
I think that also.

Almost any direct damage spell (pre metamagic) could be at will without hurting the game much (you use the slot, but you cast at will off of it).
And give spellcasters even more power? :bigeye No thank you. Casters are good as they are. There's no need of improvement.

At will healing means everyone is at full HP every fight. There are already lots of ways to do this, but people often avoid them or don't know about them and are deeply offended by them.
Hm. But are you talking about healing spells or some abilities? Because I'm seeing that free healing wouldn't be that game breaking (it would definitely help beatsticks), but OTOH it would mess with fluff (why are people even dying from wounds or diseases when the Clerics/ whatever can heal everyone in a matter of hours if not minutes?).

As I've mentioned in another thread, I happen to be a fan of per encounter type of abilities, perhaps with a recharge akin to ToB or Force Powers in Star Wars.
"Per encounter" is a good idea, but I' not sure if I want to rip off ToB.

Per day type of abilities can be included with a kind of exhaustion mechanic, though you'd need ways to avoid it being circumvented (viz. Celerity).
Nah. I don't like this type of systems.

One more thought:  a lot of the more worrisome abilities, like buffs or summons, could be mitigated by including a "you can only have 1 of these in effect" type of language.  Bull Strength at will is essentially all-day +4 strength, but you could limit it to one character.
Godd idea. I'll definitely include something very similar.

Hm. Then what about making some "at-will" and some "once per X rounds/minutes/hours"?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:33:45 AM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 01:48:30 AM »
Rage would be great as once per 5d10 minutes, -1 per class level of the class that gave you rage. Greater Rage would remove the cooldown time. So, you need to be a 5th level barbarian to have a chance of 2 consecutive rages, and you can constantly rage once you get Greater Rage.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 01:51:33 AM »
-1 to what? Dice or minutes?

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Bloody Initiate

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 01:55:11 AM »
I've long hated the fact that "per day" rears its disgusting head so much throughout 3.5 D&D. It's a terrible mechanic, and it covers 3.5 D&D like pimples on a teenager's face.
I don't employ memes. Mass-produced ammunition, even from reputable manufacturers, tends to malfunction on occasion.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 02:24:58 AM »
We were actually discussing daily powers here. To be honest, most daily-use powers have a fluff reason for not working all day, and usually it is because the ability is supernatural. The egregious examples are, of course, the dervish ability and smite evil. At least rage is fluffed as exhausting. Even the mechanics make you fatigued afterwards, enforcing that.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
I'm not sure. In PF (which I play) it has already more then enough of use time. :/
I didn't know we were talking about PF. In 3.5, if Rage were at will, the only downside to using it would be being fatigued at the end. With a Con of 14, your rage should still last something like 7 rounds, so the fight is likely over.

So, at the end of the day, one level of barbarian would give you Pounce and a +4 untyped bonus to Str and Con at the cost of -2 AC. People already dip barbarian for pounce a lot. At will Rage gives little reason to take this class past level 2.

And give spellcasters even more power? :bigeye No thank you. Casters are good as they are. There's no need of improvement.
I don't know that it's really a power-up. You see, direct damage spells suck right now, so unless you're metamagicing the shit out of them, there's no reason to take them until you have a lot of spell slots, and even then, you only take them with your low level spell slots. So, no one takes them, and they just take good spells instead, and that's our baseline comparison for power.

So now, you give them at will direct damage so long as there's no metamagic attached, and the end result is, you suck up a spell slot to prepare the direct damage spell, netting you one less actual good spell for the day, and you get at will blasting in return. So, at 5th level, you don't get Stinking Cloud, and in return, you can Fireball all day long. At 1st level, you only get one Color Spray, and in return, you can Magic Missile all day long. I'm not seeing the problem here. Blasting still takes a standard action, and you're paying a noticeable opportunity cost in terms of spell slots.

Hm. But are you talking about healing spells or some abilities? Because I'm seeing that free healing wouldn't be that game breaking (it would definitely help beatsticks), but OTOH it would mess with fluff (why are people even dying from wounds or diseases when the Clerics/ whatever can heal everyone in a matter of hours if not minutes?).
I didn't say it'd break the game. It's just that this type of thing offends a lot of people, and if they see at will healing on it, they might reject the concept out of hand. D&D has always been a game about managing your spell slots and HP. At will healing changes that.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 12:14:56 PM »
I didn't know we were talking about PF.
We aren't. We're speaking in general about D&D.

So, at the end of the day, one level of barbarian would give you Pounce and a +4 untyped bonus to Str and Con at the cost of -2 AC. People already dip barbarian for pounce a lot. At will Rage gives little reason to take this class past level 2.
I should have worded it differently. What I said is that I am not sure if I like "at-will" Rage. Now that you explained why it would be diptastic, I almost know that I don't like it.

I don't know that it's really a power-up. You see, direct damage spells suck right now, so unless you're metamagicing the shit out of them, there's no reason to take them until you have a lot of spell slots, and even then, you only take them with your low level spell slots. So, no one takes them, and they just take good spells instead, and that's our baseline comparison for power.

So now, you give them at will direct damage so long as there's no metamagic attached, and the end result is, you suck up a spell slot to prepare the direct damage spell, netting you one less actual good spell for the day, and you get at will blasting in return. So, at 5th level, you don't get Stinking Cloud, and in return, you can Fireball all day long. At 1st level, you only get one Color Spray, and in return, you can Magic Missile all day long. I'm not seeing the problem here. Blasting still takes a standard action, and you're paying a noticeable opportunity cost in terms of spell slots.
But it was supposed to be a mundanes strength. Mundane classes where supposed to be able to still go on even after a whole day of adventuring thanks to attacks and most of their abilities not running out, unlike spells. We know that it didn't work, casters rarely run out of spells and mundanes can rather quickly run out of HP, but the intent is known.
Yes, a caster can use a better spell instead of blasting, but consider this: some encounters aren't that tricky and can be won with just brutal power. A caster with a blasting spell "at-will" could deal with the encounter just using this one blasting spell and save the more useful spells. Basically this would give casters even more endurance, which I don't like. They should run out, even if just in theory (a smart DM can always arrange that without even targeting the caster in particular).

I didn't say it'd break the game. It's just that this type of thing offends a lot of people, and if they see at will healing on it, they might reject the concept out of hand. D&D has always been a game about managing your spell slots and HP. At will healing changes that.
Yes, I did say that it wouldn't probably break the game, but it would have heavy repercussions on fluff and believability of the setting. Why do people sufer when the Clerics can heal "at-will", for example?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:17:46 PM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 12:22:43 PM »
But it was supposed to be a mundanes strength. Mundane classes where supposed to be able to still go on even after a whole day of adventuring thanks to attacks and most of their abilities not running out, unlike spells. We know that it didn't work, casters rarely run out of spells and mundanes can rather quickly run out of HP, but the intent is known.
Yes, a caster can use a better spell instead of blasting, but consider this: some encounters aren't that tricky and can be won with just brutal power. A caster with a blasting spell "at-will" could deal with the encounter just using this one blasting spell and save the more useful spells. Basically this would give casters even more endurance, which I don't like. They should run out, even if just in theory (a smart DM can always arrange that without even targeting the caster in particular).
I see where you're coming from.

Yes, I did say that it wouldn't probably break the game, but it would have heavy repercussions on fluff and believability of the setting. Why do people sufer when the Clerics can heal "at-will", for example?
They don't suffer. Would the game be better with at-will healing? It's kind of subjective. Some people like the idea of not having the melee characters be the bottleneck of a short workday. Other's hate losing that level of resource management.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 12:32:09 PM »
Would the game be better with at-will healing?
Yes.

Some people like the idea of not having the melee characters be the bottleneck of a short workday. Other's hate losing that level of resource management.
I don't mind "at-will" healing. As I said, it would help mundanes, beatsticks in particular. All I'm worried about is what impact it will have on the games setting.
Also, what healing would be "at-will"? spells or some class abilities? Because Cleric doesn't have any healing besides spells.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 12:34:20 PM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 01:04:25 PM »
I don't know that it's really a power-up. You see, direct damage spells suck right now, so unless you're metamagicing the shit out of them, there's no reason to take them until you have a lot of spell slots, and even then, you only take them with your low level spell slots.
But see, something people always seem to ignore about those direct damage spells is range. It's very funny to say color spray beats magic missile, but when magic missile is at will, you can snipe whole armies from a safe distance by just finding a good high position.

Similarly, fireball at-will means missions like "explore that florest" or "explore that fortress" become "burn it all to the ground from a safe distance".

Combine with any mobility spell like Fly, and even the cleric will have trouble keeping up with a flying wizard raining down endless fire from above. How many other 3rd level offensive spells have long range again after all?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 01:19:35 PM »
I don't know that it's really a power-up. You see, direct damage spells suck right now, so unless you're metamagicing the shit out of them, there's no reason to take them until you have a lot of spell slots, and even then, you only take them with your low level spell slots.
But see, something people always seem to ignore about those direct damage spells is range. It's very funny to say color spray beats magic missile, but when magic missile is at will, you can snipe whole armies from a safe distance by just finding a good high position.

Similarly, fireball at-will means missions like "explore that florest" or "explore that fortress" become "burn it all to the ground from a safe distance".

Combine with any mobility spell like Fly, and even the cleric will have trouble keeping up with a flying wizard raining down endless fire from above. How many other 3rd level offensive spells have long range again after all?
You're totally right about range. The nice thing is, is that it mixes things up a bit for what spells you want to use when. Obviously, Color Spray is a no-go outside of 15'. Still, one Color Spray does a lot more than one Magic Missile. So, on a action per action basis, you have to weigh out your options. Extreme range encounters will probably become a lot easier, and be the biggest loss for a change like this. Archers will feel small in the pants.

As for flying and blasting, at level five, you'll be doing that for one or two encounters. You'll be flying around a lot more at higher levels, but by that point, a lot of stuff is already flying, and you have enough spell slots that at-will blasting isn't the boon it is at low levels.
[/thread hijack]
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 01:46:06 PM »
There is "at-will" blasting - Reserve feats.
I think it is good as is.

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »
There is "at-will" blasting - Reserve feats.
I think it is good as is.
Yeah. I'm not trying to talk you out of it anymore. I just didn't know your intention of just having this work for non-casters when I originally suggested the idea.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]