Author Topic: Skinflint's Citadel: Building A Flying Fortress On The Cheap  (Read 7807 times)

Caelic

• Hong Kong
Skinflint's Citadel: Building A Flying Fortress On The Cheap
« on: October 16, 2011, 04:33:20 PM »
This is a thought exercise I've been wanting to try for quite some time.

Let's suppose for the sake of argument that we have a 17th level wizard.  Let's further assume that he's an incredible cheapskate who hates spending money and hates spending experience points even more.  (Let's also assume that the DM is sharp enough not to allow infinite wealth loops, since those take the fun out of the whole exercise.)

The challenge before us is this:

How cool a fortress can we build our skinflint without shelling out any money or experience points?

For starters, I think we could do worse than to rely on Stone TRap, from Shining South.  This allows us to put massive blocks of stone into the air at pretty much any height we desire (as long as we cast it while flying near the target point.)  Now, the ostensible purpose of the spell is to use these blocks of stone as a trap that will fall down upon a specified triggering condition, but if we make the triggering condition something impossible (the instant the planet turns into a large albino hamster named "Steve," for instance,) then the blocks are going to stay up there forever.

The blocks can support additional weight, as long as they're not the maximum size possible (which, barring CL boosts, is going to be 3400 pounds.)  We'll make the blocks about 1000 pounds apiece, so each of them can support over a ton of additional weight.  They're also invisible; we'll make use of that later.

So the foundation of our citadel is a core of these floating stone blocks.  We'll then add a second layer of blocks around those (hey, they're free!)  We'll then add a THIRD layer, and paint those so they can be seen.  Each layer is large enough to individually hold up the whole structure; the outer layers block line of effect to the inner layers, and so render it extremely difficult to shut the whole thing down with MDJ.

Now, we can do some other fun things with these blocks.  An additional layer of invisible blocks under the whole "island," and extending out beyond it for a considerable distance, can be given a different trigger; these become a defense against enemies stupid enough to mass under the fortress.  Each block is going to dish out 20d6 damage when it falls, which will really mess up an attacking army's day.

So at this point we have a big floating island that has cost us nothing but time.  What's next?

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Skinflint's Citadel: Building A Flying Fortress On The Cheap
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 04:55:16 PM »
Forget Stone Trap.  Suspension from the same book is where it's REALLY at.  You can incorporate some stone traps into that to make hell for invaders from below, but that's something else entirely at that point.

Another thing you can do is add in some Geometer levels.  Scribe Greater Glyphs of Warding on to Dull Gray Ioun Stones to protect the area they're in (425 gp total).  If an army comes up from below, just cast something like... a Necrotic Skull Bomb into one of them and drop it on the army.  A 20' radius of 1st-level warriors will instantly die from the blast, and the next night will rise as strike force of uncontrolled Wights that will ravenously slaughter the rest of the army.

AriasDerros

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
Summon Monster 7 for a djinn to make plant materials, then magecraft + fabricate siege weapons that can be manned by other summons in the event of an aerial raid.

Prying Eyes and its greater version to act as a camera system to protect against invaders.

Mind blank can protect you from divination, but you'd need something to protect the rest of the keep.

Control Weather can keep the area clear of hazards, and this will let you (and your Eye spells) see the distance out and away. No pesky clouds to hide the approach of your enemies.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 05:00:18 PM »
Mage's Private Sanctum is how to ward an area against divinations.

I'm also currently looking for a second-level spell that acts like Fly, but doesn't let you actually Fly.  On the other hand, when combined with Levitate, it enables a slow Fly speed.

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 05:08:35 PM »
Forget Stone Trap.  Suspension from the same book is where it's REALLY at.  You can incorporate some stone traps into that to make hell for invaders from below, but that's something else entirely at that point.

Another thing you can do is add in some Geometer levels.  Scribe Greater Glyphs of Warding on to Dull Gray Ioun Stones to protect the area they're in (425 gp total).  If an army comes up from below, just cast something like... a Necrotic Skull Bomb into one of them and drop it on the army.  A 20' radius of 1st-level warriors will instantly die from the blast, and the next night will rise as strike force of uncontrolled Wights that will ravenously slaughter the rest of the army.

The thing about Suspension is that you have to recast it on a regular basis.  If my fortress is large enough, that could become a substantial pain in the butt.  It would also prevent me from using multiple layers to thwart MDJ, since I couldn't re-cast it on the stones in the inner layers.

It's a brilliant spell, and one which certainly has a place in this construction, but I prefer the fire-and-forget utility of Stone Trap for the actual foundation.  Suspension is how we're going to power the elevators.

You're entirely right about aerial assault, which is a whole huge problem with castles in D&D in general; the traditional castle is absolutely useless for defending against flying opponents.  I'd like to build a dome of invisible Stone Traps OVER the keep, so that the enemy HAS to come in from underneath.  I'm trying to work out how to ensure that a Disjunction doesn't cause the inner layer of the dome to come crashing down on the castle, though.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 05:12:38 PM by Caelic »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 05:25:34 PM »
If MDJ is a concern, you could just encase a small object with Suspension cast on it in such a manner that it holds up the rest of the fortress, but with LoE blocked from outside.  There's also some other spell that I'm looking for that combines with Levitate to give a slow Fly speed, which if you could combine it with Suspension would cause the fortress to be completely mobile.

AriasDerros

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 05:35:26 PM »
MDJ defense. At the top of the dome, on the inside just under the keystone, there is a small tin half-sphere. It is hollow and missing its bottom. etc. etc. etc.

Basically, give the place the shrunken tin hat trick, but on the inside. MDJ hits the stones, it also undoes shrink, all the stones fall around the outside of your new dome.

I don't think it is possible to truly IP-Proof a stronghold. But you can make it so that the stronghold IP-Proofs you. Then you can just escape, and re-make it if you have to. That is why this spendthrift idea is so good.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 06:00:58 PM »
Grab 2 levels of wyrm wizard or recaster to get greater dispel as a 3rd-level spell off trapsmith, then craft some contingent spells for counterspelling?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 06:30:09 PM »
Recasting on a regular basis, you say?

1.) Eternal Wands, from Magic Item Compendium. They have a little bit of an extra surcharge on them from the DMG formula, but gives 2/day casting of spells levels 1-3.

2.) Magical traps using the DMG rules for recharge and stuff. Note that if you want precedent for magical traps that are beneficial, look at the Boon traps in Dungeonscape.

3.) Drow House Insignia sorts of items, explained in the book Races of Faerun, pg 175. They were updated to be more pricey in Drow of the Underdark. This gives a specific form, 1/day limitation, and certain spell levels, I think 1-3.

4.) Minor Schema, from the book Magic of Eberron

5.) Generic wondrous items that cast spells, per the DMG rules for custom magic items.

6.) Spell Turrets, from Dungeon Master's Guide II

7.) Spell clocks, from here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a&dcmp=ILC-RSSDND
BG's other resident furry!

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »

1.) Eternal Wands, from Magic Item Compendium. They have a little bit of an extra surcharge on them from the DMG formula, but gives 2/day casting of spells levels 1-3.

2.) Magical traps using the DMG rules for recharge and stuff. Note that if you want precedent for magical traps that are beneficial, look at the Boon traps in Dungeonscape.

3.) Drow House Insignia sorts of items, explained in the book Races of Faerun, pg 175. They were updated to be more pricey in Drow of the Underdark. This gives a specific form, 1/day limitation, and certain spell levels, I think 1-3.

5.) Generic wondrous items that cast spells, per the DMG rules for custom magic items.

7.) Spell clocks, from here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cw/20070312a&dcmp=ILC-RSSDND
All of those involve shelling out money which he specifically doesn't want to do.

@Caelic: Does the free money given to you by the Landlord feat count as money spent by you?

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:22 PM »
Hmm.  That's a good question.  For the sake of argument, let's try to keep it purely to things which require no gold expenditure.  In a practical setting, there are all sorts of cost-effective tricks that could be used, but we can add those on later.

Foxwander

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2011, 01:50:05 AM »

All of those involve shelling out money which he specifically doesn't want to do.

@Caelic: Does the free money given to you by the Landlord feat count as money spent by you?

Shadowcraft cookies can cover all your recasting needs below 5th level at no cost.  You'll also be an awesome illusionist- free permanent images and other illusionary hijinks will only increase your fortresses defensibility.

I would consider Landlord income as a reinvestment opportunity- so I think it should be allowed.  But there's plenty of merit in pursuing the idea completely free of cost however.
Standing in uffish thought.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:29 AM »
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=11565.0

useful cross reference.

considering that landlord gives you virtual income that cannot be used for any purpose other than fortress additions... i think that it could be refluffed as barter and/or exchange of favors, and thus should be allowed.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »

Shadowcraft cookies can cover all your recasting needs below 5th level at no cost.  You'll also be an awesome illusionist- free permanent images and other illusionary hijinks will only increase your fortresses defensibility.

Hey!  Those Shadowcraft Cookies are a stroke of genius!  The guy who came up with those must've been really sharp--also good looking, talented, and modest!  ;)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:36:30 PM »

Hey!  Those Shadowcraft Cookies are a stroke of genius!  The guy who came up with those must've been really sharp--also good looking, talented, and modest!  ;)
Indeed, he is all of those things... :bow
We're better for having him.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »
Note that levels of Runesmith will make this much easier, as you can then cast spell like abilities instead of spells on spells you want to cast a lot.  That brings in True Creation.

But even without that, Summon Monster can get you Djinns... with permanent Major Creation for vegetable matter.  Make stuff out of Bronzewood, Darkwood, Soarwood, and so on.

JaronK

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »
Undead soarwhale?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2011, 10:29:18 PM »
Given the precedent of Siberys Mark of Making's errata, which established that True Creation as a SLA still costs xp, I'd prefer to skirt that; it's sort of a gray area.  Major Creation from a Djinn works just fine, though.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2011, 11:26:32 PM »
Eh, that was just a special ruling (not the general case).  And if True Creation as an SP worries, you, go with Wish instead... muhahaha.  Okay, but if we're avoiding that sort of stuff, there's also of course Planar Binding with all the goodness that happens there (including even more access to Genies).  Note that Binders do this better with Zceryll, as they can spam the permanent Major Creation all day long... so if a Wizard really wants to rock out this way, Anima Mage is the way to go.

JaronK