Author Topic: The beginnings of a complete list of good/Great/AWESOME spells from all sources.  (Read 33563 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Exemplars of Evil:[spoiler]
Alibi (Illusion (Phantasm) [Mind-Affecting], Assassin 1, Bard 1, Sor/Wiz 1) - Any spell with a permanent effect is generally powerful, and this one comes at first level.  It may be conditional, but this sort of memory modification spell can really open up some opportunities for the character that makes liberal use of it.

Friendly Fire (Abjuration, Druid 4, Sor/Wiz 4) - Amazing spell improved even further by the fact that you can use it as either an immediate action against one spell, or a persistable version that negates all ranged attacks made against you (that includes rays, arrows, thrown weapons, and stuff like orbs, too).  What’s more, if you have enemies within 30’ of you, you can deflect the attacks against them.  Ridiculously good spell.

Phantasmal Injury (Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind-Affecting], Bard 3, Sor/Wiz 3) - This spell is basically a single-target Slow that’s easily immunized against, which kinda sucks although it also has some unique advantages.  The damage caused by this spell can be augmented by effects like Warmage Edge and maybe Bane Magic to deal some not-insignificant damage.  Further, as an Illusion spell there are a number of stunts that Wizards can pull with it.[/spoiler]

Fiendish Codex I:[spoiler]
Demon Wings (Transmutation [Evil], Blackguard 3, Demonic 3) - An alternative to the Fly spell that gives you a slower fly speed for a much longer duration.  Technically persistable, although you’ll want to just get a higher caster level and Extend it.

Demoncall (Divination [Evil], Blackguard 2, Demonic 2) - Solid spell, obviously for use with Knowledge Devotion.  Stick it in a Wand for best effect, because you’re going to be using it frequently and there are no CL-dependent components to the spell.

Embrace the Dark Chaos & Shun the Dark Chaos (Transmutation [Chaotic], Cleric 8, Sor/Wiz 8) - Two spells which enable the tactic known as the Dark Chaos Feat Shuffle, which is somewhere between extremely useful and horribly, horribly broken.  This is one of those spell combinations that I’ll leave to other guides/lists to fully flesh out.

Inner Beauty (Transmutation, Bard 4) - There is only one use of this spell that really makes sense, and that’s as a long-term self buff by a Charisma-based caster.  It lasts 10 minutes per level all on it’s own, so with a bolstered CL and Extend Spell it can last all day.  By itself it’s probably not worth the setup, but keep it in mind if you’re going to get a lot of long-duration spells every morning.

Slime Wave (Conjuration (Summoning), Cleric 7, Druid 7, Ooze 7) - Green Slime is in the PHB, go look at it.  The amount of Constitution damage this spell is capable of, especially against larger targets, is just obscene.  Note that FCI came out after Spell Compendium, so this seems to be an update to the slightly inferior version in that book.  That said, if SC is allowed, but FCI isn’t, then this is still a great spell to have.

Vision of Entropy (Illusion (Phantasm) [Fear, Mind-Affecting], Bard 2, Entropy 2, Sor/Wiz 2) - With one failed save the target is weakened, with 2 it’s out of the fight, and it must make these Will saves every single round.  The iterative probability makes this a really powerful spell, and the -2 penalty to saves given by the Shaken condition makes the descent to Panic and, eventually, unconsciousness even faster.[/spoiler]

Fiendish Codex II:[spoiler]
Devil’s Ego (Transmutation [Evil], Diabolic 3) - A short-term buff giving a +4 bonus to Charisma and changing your type to outsider.  Persistable, as well, but you don’t really need to persist it since it has a swift action casting time.  The big bonus here is the outsider type, which means you can combine this with Polymorph shenanigans.

Investiture of the Erinyes (Transmutation [Evil, Investiture], Blackguard 3, Cleric 4, Sor/Wiz 4) - No action is listed for the beckoning of another creature, but making creatures waste actions and move out of position is very nice.  If I had to guess, I’d say it was a free action (like talking), and based on that it’s an incredibly good spell.  If it’s a standard action, it’s still decent.

Investiture of the Spined Devil (Transmutation [Evil, Investiture], Blackguard 1, Cleric 2, Sor/Wiz 2) - Not a bad spell to cast on a melee brute at low levels, since it gives them a pretty effective ranged attack.  Sadly, however, the spell is quickly outclassed.[/spoiler]

Libris Mortis:[spoiler]
Haunt Shift (Necromancy, Cleric 5, Sor/Wiz 5) - This spell turns your excess undead minions into dangerous traps for your base.  A very interesting spell that’s well worth playing with to make your base as inhospitable as possible to enemies.

Necrotic Cyst (Necromancy [Evil]) - One of 10 spells granted by picking up the Mother Cyst feat in Libris Mortis.  The full line of spells has something for every evil spellcaster, and has a few that are particularly impressive effects, like a permanent Dominate Monster effect that isn’t Mind-Affecting as a 7th-level spell.[/spoiler]

Lords of Madness:[spoiler]
Invoke Magic (Evocation, Sor/Wiz 9) - Allows you to cast a 4th-level spell inside an area of an AMF, dead magic area, etc.  The 4th-level spell you are almost certainly looking to cast in this circumstance is Dimension Door, but there are some other 4th-level spells that are potentially useful to cast in this manner, too.[/spoiler]

Drow of the Underdark:[spoiler]
Bebilith Blessing (Transmutation [Chaos, Evil], Cleric 5) - At the time this spell comes online, poison immunity isn’t quite that prevalent.  As such, this is a pretty awesome spell for 2 levels, and isn’t bad after that given that a creature affected can pick up a second pair of claws.

Engulfing Terror (Conjuration (Creation), Druid 3, Sor/Wiz 3) - Even among the typical awesomeness present in 3rd-level Sorcerer/Wizard spells, this one is just scary powerful.  Gelatinous Cubes are deadly if they engulf you, so just throw this into the middle of a pack of enemies, and just watch 2 or 3 of them get taken out of the fight instantly.  Remember to avoid it afterwards, though.

Shadow Double (Illusion (Shadow), Assassin 1, Hexblade 2, Sor/Wiz 2) - A favorite spell among gishes, no doubt.  No Somatic component, and attacks with a modifier of your BAB + your casting ability modifier.  On a hit, it does 1 point of Strength damage, and it can flank, although it’s pretty fragile.

Yochlol Blessing (Transmutation [Chaotic, Evil], Cleric 4) - I’ve seen enough h... oh, wait.  In spite of the requirement that this spell be cast by a Drow, this spell is just plain awesome.  Cast it on a beatstick in order to supplement his usual attack routine with eight natural weapons.  Yes, eight.  It’s amazing how much better than Divine Power this is.[/spoiler]

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
Demoncall also works nicely with an archivist's Dark Knowledge.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
I'm not sure if I want to add rokugan, kalamar, dragonlance, and other "officially licensed" products
no, no, yes, and yes to dungeon and drag magazines but there is little else that is legal (those diablo books are all I can think of at the moment)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
Thanks. I own a hard copy of the Diablorie, didn't know there were others

Call of Cthulhu d20? d20 Modern?

Caelic

• Hong Kong
No Algid Enhancement on the Frostburn list?  Combined with a way to grant the Cold subtype, it's an amazingly efficient buff.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
No Algid Enhancement on the Frostburn list?  Combined with a way to grant the Cold subtype, it's an amazingly efficient buff.

Especially if one uses something like a Thunderlance for a weapon - the lack of an Enhancement Bonus to Attack and Damage hurts, which you can't otherwise get on Weapon-like spells. Not to mention, it's an uncapped spell, so it can be STRONG.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
I'm not sure if I want to add rokugan, kalamar, dragonlance, and other "officially licensed" products
no, no, yes, and yes to dungeon and drag magazines but there is little else that is legal (those diablo books are all I can think of at the moment)

kalamar should be yes, at least the licensed products only. i have a link itemizing them if you want.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder

Especially if one uses something like a Thunderlance for a weapon - the lack of an Enhancement Bonus to Attack and Damage hurts, which you can't otherwise get on Weapon-like spells. Not to mention, it's an uncapped spell, so it can be STRONG.
It's an uncapped spell...?

It's an uncapped spell!  I missed that.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email

kalamar should be yes, at least the licensed products only. i have a link itemizing them if you want.

Ok... I hate how the campaign setting was printed... No color!

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental

not valid anymore.
no and no. Keep in mind when I say no I mean it isn't first or second party, so do those after the legal sources.

Here's the full list
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...

not valid anymore.
no and no. Keep in mind when I say no I mean it isn't first or second party, so do those after the legal sources.

Here's the full list

the licensed products are still valid, same as every other licensed product. the newer non-licensed products are not valid, of course.

here is the the list of all kalamar products, licensed ones are in itallics
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email

not valid anymore.

Here's the full list

Why not CoC? It's made by WotC and has a section in it to adapt its weird rules to DnD

Also all of the spells have their source(s) listed

Thanks for the link Nijineko