Author Topic: Fist of the North Star  (Read 5983 times)

behaigo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
Fist of the North Star
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:36:08 AM »
I've been watching Fist of the North Star lately and it has got me wanting to make a character based on the main character Kenshiro.  Ken is a martial artist whose talents include punching at the speed of anime, knowing a wide variety of pressure points (the majority of which make your head explode), and being stronger than everyone else.

First off, I am very aware that monk is a lame class, so I don't exactly have my sights set on it.  Quivering Palm is similar in theme to what Ken does, though it is only usable  1/week and not 10/second.

This character will be gestalt and starting at lvl 20 with a 32 point buy.  I've been looking around and I think I might go with the unarmed Swordsage variant, though I'm not sure what I would have on the other side.  Anyone have any ideas?  Anything from "this is a good feat" to "this is a good, complete build" are welcome.

My group plays an amalgamation of 3.5 and Pathfinder, so feel free to use or ignore Pathfinder for this based on your personal tastes but please don't dismiss this because of it.  Any official Wizards or Paizo publications are up for use (including campaign specific and drag mag).  Also, prestige classes CAN be advanced on both sides of the gestalt simultaneously .
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 11:44:26 AM by behaigo »
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

This is the best name generator ever!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: Fist of the North Star
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:03:01 PM »
For 3.5: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7778

Now for Pathfinder...
The Pressure Point Strike feat was pretty much rolled into PF monk - for PF use the Mantis Style chain of feats, and maybe Panther Style as well (with Master of Many Styles, though this deprives you of flurry...).
Monk of the Sacred Mountain and Martial Artist also work well.

EDIT: Okay, basically
Half-giant Monk (martial artist) 20//Psychic warrior X/War mind 5/Swordsage Y
Feats: Ability Focus (Stunning Fist), Combat Reflexes, Deflect Arrows, Mantis Style, Mantis Torment, Mantis Wisdom, Medusa's Wrath (pick up as a bonus feat so you don't need prereqs), Pharaoh's Fist
Powers: Psionic lion's charge

Designate monk as your favored class, and use half-giant's Psionic Aptitude to gain +20pp. For equipment, the Guided property is awesome for reducing MAD - note that PF lets you apply enchantments to an amulet of mighty fists without applying an enhancement bonus first. See also brass knuckles.

The monk's solid chassis works very well in gestalt as long as it has something to back it up. Ask your DM if you can add in the Monk of the Sacred Mountain archetype too (it's not normally legal since it replaces some of the same features).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:21:43 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

behaigo

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:56:22 PM »
Lots of good stuff.  Thanks a bunch! 
My Unitarian Jihad Name is Brother Gatling Gun of Reasoned Discussion.  What's yours?

This is the best name generator ever!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:14:45 PM »
Ki straps from Magic Item Compendium give you another +2 to the DC of Stunning Fist and anything powered by it.
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »
since all official wotc content is allowed, do not overlook athas.org for some fun options.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine