Author Topic: Abusing crits  (Read 1910 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Abusing crits
« on: October 15, 2011, 11:18:12 AM »
OK everyone, a new challenge for you.  What's the most fun we can have with a giant crit range and multiplier?  Here's your chassis:

~~~~

Human Warblade 6/Disciple of Dispater 8

Feats:
1 Power Attack, EWP: Talenta Sharrash, Combat Expertise (flaw), Disciple of Darkness (flaw)
3,6 Open
9 Improved Critical: Talenta Sharrash

Weapon: Laminated Serrated +1 Talenta Sharrash
Crit range: 19-20 +1 (serrated) x2 (improved crit) x2 (DoD 4) x2 (DoD 8) = 9-20
Crit multiplier: x4 (base) +1 (laminated) = x5

~~~~

What you have to play with: 6 levels, 5 feats, weapon enchantments, any other equipment.  If you want to change part of the chassis for a particular greater effect, go ahead.  If you want to change the weapon its pretty trivial, since the Warblade can swap EWP and IC for whatever.

What I want: What kind of effects can we get for a >50% chance of a crit on a x5 multiplier?

What I DON'T want: Abuse of lightning maces, roundabout kick, and aptitude weapons to get infinite attacks.  I'm looking for the greatest effects that happen on critical hits, expounded by the x5 multiplier.  (In that vein, anything that increases the crit multiplier is excellent.)

What monstrosities can you produce?   :devil
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:20:51 PM by sirpercival »
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Abusing crits
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:05:35 PM »
Is a large raincloud over your parade by pointing out that kaorti resin isn't iron and therefore doesn't work with Iron Power, considered productive?
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 12:19:59 PM »
Oops, meh.  Doesn't make a big difference, I'll switch to the Sharrash which will have the same multiplier but a smaller threat range.  I had it originally anyway, and I forgot to change the math.

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Jackinthegreen

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
If 3.0 material is allowed, Favored Critical is pretty nice for type-heavy areas.  As I recall there's also some sort of feat or enhancement to grant another crit multiplier against dragons that stacks with everything else.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 05:00:23 PM »
Is a large raincloud over your parade by pointing out that kaorti resin isn't iron and therefore doesn't work with Iron Power, considered productive?
I would have gone with the "kaorti resin is unupdated 3.0 material that was not intended for player use" argument.

I'd make the same argument for Disciple of Dispater, except the disciple just isn't all that hot...

In any case, Cursespewing is a must, and Enervating is also good.  It's too easy to become immune to the added damage of critical hits for me to care about that, but the rider effects on a critical can be really nasty.

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 05:02:28 PM »
You'll probably want a flesh ring of scorn and either be an evil outsider, or have enough UMD to fake it when you put it through your ear or eyebrow or nipple or whatever.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2011, 05:03:44 PM »
<snip> the rider effects on a critical can be really nasty.

This is what I was looking for.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 10:28:38 PM »
How about putting Prismatic Burst on the weapon?  I had fun with that one, critted a drow and rolled 8/3/3 on the prismatic table.  Nothing like adding 160 electric damage to a crit....