Author Topic: Sleepless and Bored Player/PC  (Read 3192 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Sleepless and Bored Player/PC
« on: October 15, 2011, 02:36:48 AM »
Got a player whose character no longer needs to sleep at night because she's partially immortal. I was thinking of getting her to craft things at night with her Craft (metalworking) +8, but she doesn't have any tools or a workshop. Other than just sit there bored all night being the watch person, what else can I get her character to do?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Sleepless and Bored Player/PC
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 05:42:57 AM »
Non-hostile ghost that appears only to her alone (or when she alone is awake), and vanishes when others might see.  Alternatively, it's cursed so generally no-one can perceive it, and she is a rare exception for whatever reason.  Make it unclear even to her whether this is a legitimate entity or an imaginary friend.  You can feed her information and hooks through it, though it can sometimes be wrong (it's not perfect after all, and might be her imagination).  You can also use it to quietly adjust things in the background when situations aren't going quite right... and after a few of these, any handwaving suspicion later might naturally divert to the ghost whether or not it was involved.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Portable hole with a Portable Smithy(based off the alchemist's portable lab)?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »
Portable hole with a Portable Smithy(based off the alchemist's portable lab)?
I was just about to sugest this.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:21:41 PM »
Depending on their level a covered wagon, think more along the lines of a gypsy caravan wagon, could serve as a portable work shop and smith as a mundane option.

Sjappo

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Cheers
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 06:54:00 PM »
Depending on their level a covered wagon, think more along the lines of a gypsy caravan wagon, could serve as a portable work shop and smith as a mundane option.
That's nice. "Go ahead guys, go to sleep. I'll keep watch and start banging on this bit of metal until it resembles a longsword. Sweet dreams!"

Not gonna work, is it?

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:02 PM »
The party's 4th level. They're traveling by foot. No covered wagon.

genuine

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:48:38 PM »
Non-hostile ghost that appears only to her alone (or when she alone is awake), and vanishes when others might see.  Alternatively, it's cursed so generally no-one can perceive it, and she is a rare exception for whatever reason.  Make it unclear even to her whether this is a legitimate entity or an imaginary friend.  You can feed her information and hooks through it, though it can sometimes be wrong (it's not perfect after all, and might be her imagination).  You can also use it to quietly adjust things in the background when situations aren't going quite right... and after a few of these, any handwaving suspicion later might naturally divert to the ghost whether or not it was involved.

This is a good idea. Not necessarily the idea of a ghost, but make the 'I never sleep or rest' into a stronger fluff thing. Come up with a hook for it. Why is she partially immortal? Are Sottish Spaniards coming to remove her head? (This is a joke, please don't introduce Sir Sean into your campaign). Use the fluff aspects of the sleeplessness to come up with additional plot. A ghost is an easy way to do this, but I'm sure you can come up with something else.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 03:37:31 AM »
She's partially immortal because her father was a demi-god.

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »
I had a similar problem when I was playing an earth mephit.  As an outsider, I didn't need to sleep or eat.  As a mephit I had fast healing 2, so hit points were not a problem.  My character was GO GO GO, but the humans kept wanting to stop to sleep and eat and regain spells/healing.  It was so *frustrating* (for my character - I myself rather enjoyed his frustration).

We just did the usual fast forwarding thing - you stop for the night, heal up, and *bam*, it's the next day.

If you want to craft at night, get a portable whatchamacallit, and use the spell rope trick to have a place to make noise without keeping everyone else awake and/or attracting unwanted attention.