Author Topic: Shadow Goblin conversion from 2e to 3.5 and Pathfinder  (Read 4698 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Shadow Goblin conversion from 2e to 3.5 and Pathfinder
« on: October 14, 2011, 05:36:24 PM »
Not sure if there's an actual conversion board out there, but I'm finding myself reading through a lot of older Dungeon magazines with 1st and 2nd edition adventures, and many are actually better than some of the 3e ones I've read. That being said, sometimes some monsters just aren't converted over the course of the systems getting updated. In this particular case, the shadow goblin. It's basically a half-goblin half-drow mongrel. I first learned about them in the adventure I'm trying to convert, The Spider Farm. It's the first in a trilogy of adventures (The Spider Farm, The Melford Murder, Shrine of the Oracle).

The crawling corpse was basically updated in Pathfinder with the Torso Monster template. I still haven't found the scuttler spider (confusion spell instead of poison) or the cave worms (tiny purple worms that can be cooked and eaten). I might just homebrew the scuttler as a regular spider with the lesser confusion spell, and just make the cave worms a really young purple worm with less hd. Something tells me I won't be able to do the same thing with the shadow goblin though.

So the shadow goblin also worships Lolth, and have the same dark skin, yellow eyes, and white hair as a drow (but will dye it black or purple for better camouflage), but are goblinoid. They're between 3'6 and 4' tall. They have a bite attack for 1d3, and act as a 1st level rogue (sneak attack 1d6). They have darkvision and are light sensitive. They wear light armor, usually a combination of metal and leather with bracers, depending on their status (read chieftans and females). They have 1d8 humanoid HD. There's anywhere between 4 to 24 (wandering band), or 10-120 (in lair). They have 30 ft movement, and highly dextrous and stealthy. The fact that they're small size probably helps. They prefer to fight with two weapons. Usually a dagger and short sword. They're also proficient with short bows. Advancing in HD allows them to go up as a rogue. Males prefer to go up as wizards (60% illusionists) and females prefer wearing metal armor and going up as clerics of Lolth. Females also choose to have higher wisdom than males for purposes of extra spells. They have their own language which sounds like undercommon, but also like goblin. Shadow goblins with a higher intelligence know Common. As for SLA, they have minor ones, as well as low spell resistance. They are usually NE. Treasure is standard. It says that shadow goblins SHOULD have DEX 16 or higher.

So here's the run down. Let me know your thoughts. If you think you can do a better job, by all means go to http://www.dragonsfoot.org/php4/archive.php?sectioninit=AD&fileid=152&watchfile=0 and download the pdf, and give your own depiction of it.

Shadow Goblin
CR 1
Neutral Evil Small Humanoid (Goblinoid)
Init +3
AC 16 touch 14 flat-footed 13 (+1 size, +3 Dex, +2 leather armor)
HP: 5 (1d8)
Weakness: Light Sensitivity
Saves Fort +0 Ref +5 Will -1
Speed 30ft
Base Atk +0 Grp -4
Special Attacks: sneak attack +1d6
Attack: melee short sword +4 (1d6/19-20) or melee dagger +4 (1d4/19-20) or melee bite +4 (1d3), or ranged short bow +4 1d4+0
Full Attack: melee short sword +2 (1d6/19-20), dagger +2 (1d4/19-20), bite -1 (1d3), or ranged short bow +4 1d4+0
Space 5 ft. Reach 5 ft.
Abilities Str 11 (+0) Dex 16 (+3) Con 11 (+0) Int 10 (+0) Wis 9 (-1) Cha 10 (+0)
Feats: Two-Weapon Fighting (B), Weapon Finesse
Skills: Climb +4, Hide +8, Move Silently +4, Survival +3
SQ darkvision 120 ft, spell resistance 6, +2 Will saves vs. SLA
SLA faerie fire 1/day, darkness 1/day
Languages Goblin and Undercommon. (Common if high Int)
Favored Class: illusionist wizard (male) or cleric (female)
Level Adjustment +1
Environment: Underground

Stats: -2 Str, +4 Dex, +2 Int (females have 12 Wis)
Small size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 those of Medium characters.
Racial Modifier +4 Hide (or Stealth)
Spell Resistance 5+HD
Pathfinder Skills: Climb +4, Stealth +12, Survival +3; CMB -1, CMD 11
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 05:42:00 PM by kevin_video »
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.