Author Topic: My house in limbo...  (Read 4608 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
My house in limbo...
« on: October 13, 2011, 08:02:17 PM »
... or any other plane/demiplane really.

What I want is to have a house for my character that's kind of shitty on the outside, down a dark alley, and all jazz, but when you walk it is bigger on the inside and a lush bachelor pad/mtv cribs thing going on.

Alternatively I want a decent sized manor with "batcave" Demiplane behind a bookshelf or something. I want it to be all M.C. Esher, till you get to the planning table, so I guess subjective gravity is a must.
Deal is... I'm level 6.
How much would this cost me to get made, if I had to pay for it out of pocket gold?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: My house in limbo...
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 08:08:50 PM »
Enveloping Pit, 3600gc, works for LN, LE or NE
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 08:32:31 PM »
Wow. Thats not bad. Its not perfect but its close. Sadly I don't know if I can maintain those alignment requirements. I rememeber vaguely people building 50 foot towers in these yeah...

Its not quite what I was looking for, so I'll book mark that and look for other answers.
Any other takers?

I really am not sure how much a house would cost really either. I've never done anything like this becase I've always been pointed towards spending money on enhancing me, and not giving anything to the dm to screw with me about, but It just fit my character idea so well, and I'm a full caster so I care much less about trying to squeeze every bit out of the optimization.

Please I know nearly nothing about this aspect of the game.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 08:34:00 PM »
Hmm...

I don't see this happening earlier than level 9 for a divine character, or level 13 for an arcanist (although I'm sure some shenanigans can be pulled in the latter case to get it down to 9)...

If you are willing to do it strictly through items, then it would take 1 scroll each of Mage's Magnificent Mansion and Permanency (and a little handwaving, since the former normally can't be made permanent).  The cost would be something like 5*15*25 + 7*13*25 + 3500*5... 21,650 gp.

An alternative is to try applying Spell Thematics to a Rope Trick spell, and then making that permanent (again, requiring handwaving).  That would be free for the Rope Trick, but require a 6,500 gp scroll of permanency.  This might be a bit more appropriate since you're not really adding functionality to your Rope Trick.

Higher-level alternatives would include a scroll of Genesis and a custom magic item (probably a Wonderous Item, although a Rune Circle is appropriate, too) that used Plane Shift on anyone that entered the doorway.  Or maybe just the item if you put your stronghold on another plane.

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 09:46:49 PM »
Sell your spellbook, buy a scroll of Simulacrum, get infinite wishes via efreeti simulacrums, start Wishing for scrolls of Genesis, transport yourself and your efreet to the ethereal plane?

Oh, and then Wish for your spellbook back.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 09:48:21 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:53:34 PM »
Hmph. I see. Okay I guess thats not possible then. I looked at house prices in the dmg... freaking madness. Sigh.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 01:29:35 AM »
try stronghold bulders guidebook for the ultimate in customizing your crib. they even include a multiplanar house by way of one of the examples.

and take the landlord feat for free income to build and customize with at each level. (which, incidentally, is just putting 2d ed class features back into 3rd... point that out to your dm, if needed.)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 01:32:34 AM by nijineko »
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 04:26:43 AM »
I ended up using making a TARDIS like stronghold that was a 20 X 20 house that had 27 horizontal pits, five as basements, and five as attics. GM ruled that you can't put a pit in a pit. Gotta say, I really loved it. The fact that it can jump to any plane and anywhere in that plane several times a day made my group very very happy. The GM, not so much.

kremti

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »
Wow. Thats not bad. Its not perfect but its close. Sadly I don't know if I can maintain those alignment requirements. I rememeber vaguely people building 50 foot towers in these yeah...

Remember you can use UMD to emulate Alignment.  It's DC30 UMD check.  So with a bit of skill-boost spells (There are a couple that gives you HEFTY bonus...)

-K

Lo77o

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Guns dont kill people, apes with guns kills people
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 12:31:55 PM »
... or any other plane/demiplane really.

What I want is to have a house for my character that's kind of shitty on the outside, down a dark alley, and all jazz, but when you walk it is bigger on the inside and a lush bachelor pad/mtv cribs thing going on.

Alternatively I want a decent sized manor with "batcave" Demiplane behind a bookshelf or something. I want it to be all M.C. Esher, till you get to the planning table, so I guess subjective gravity is a must.
Deal is... I'm level 6.
How much would this cost me to get made, if I had to pay for it out of pocket gold?

Might be tough at lvl 6. Unless your an Artificer. Then its only 5% or so of your wealth.
"Home is where you can find a decent graveyard and strangers can disappear without awkward questions." - Braids, Cabal Minion

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 04:44:18 PM »
hmmm, and the stuff from SBG really kicks off at 9th level. still, the list of discounts is handy. check out the complete cost reduction handbook, too.
Never game alone again!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
Unfortunately, stable portals to other planes are really expensive (requires CL 17 to make).  Rules for that are in either A&EG or Stronghold Builder's Guide... I forget which.

JaronK

Mooncrow

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 05:12:44 PM »
Unfortunately, stable portals to other planes are really expensive (requires CL 17 to make).  Rules for that are in either A&EG or Stronghold Builder's Guide... I forget which.

JaronK

FRCS, and Stronghold Builders Guide for sure, not sure about A&EG
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:15:17 PM by Mooncrow »

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:48 PM »
There are multiple different rules, actually, in different places. 

:shakefist Khaaaaaaaaan!!!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 05:51:54 PM »
hmmm, and the stuff from SBG really kicks off at 9th level. still, the list of discounts is handy. check out the complete cost reduction handbook, too.
Most of the rules in the SBG are nice for reference, but if you're a wizard with decent spell access you can do virtually all of it for nearly free.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 06:30:17 PM »
genesis
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 06:40:49 PM »
Most of the rules in the SBG are nice for reference, but if you're a wizard with decent spell access you can do virtually all of it for nearly free.

or psionicist....
Never game alone again!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:36 PM »
genesis
Okay how much would a scroll of genisis cost, or rather to have a caster cast it for you?

nijineko

• King Kong
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 08:08:30 PM »
if you have an artificer do it for you... 7th level at the earliest. and not too much. your question is answered in the phb:goos and services section.
Never game alone again!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 08:16:03 PM »
if you have an artificer do it for you... 7th level at the earliest. and not too much. your question is answered in the phb:goos and services section.
Hmm... the srd should have it? I'm afb atm.

Got it:

So where you saying a 7th level artificer can cast genisis or he can cast it as 7th level spell? Seems like having a 9th level spell costs only around 1800gp?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 08:19:26 PM by Midnight_v »