Author Topic: Sniper Archer: is it possible to optimize one?  (Read 9246 times)

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
Re: Sniper Archer: is it possible to optimize one?
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 09:57:15 AM »
Targeteer's Dex to damage is only within 30 ft. The Arrow Storm ability however might be worth it. Also, four levels of Targeteer would open up Ranged Weapon Mastery (+20 ft range increment).
Are you sure you're not getting confused with Crossbow Sniper (60ft) or Dead Eye (30ft)?
It doesn't say anything about distance in the Targetter (DM#310, p.38-39 for reference), it just says you can't use it if you've got less than 10 str and if you use it you don't get the str bonus damage from composite bows... that doesn't work on people immune to criticals and that's it.

Bah, you're right. Got it switched with Dead Eye. Carry on.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:05:44 AM by skydragonknight »
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 05:21:03 PM »
So... based off the suggestions I've got in the thread I've made a tentative build...

Race: Whisper Gnome
Psychic Warrior 1 / Targetter Fighter 1 / PW +1 / TF +3 / Peerless Archer 3 / Deepwood Sniper 7 / +4 levels free
Feats:
Flaw (Vulnerable): Point Blank Shot
Flaw (Noncombatant): Far Shot
1: Darkstalker
PW 1: Psionic Shot
TF 1: Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Greatbow), EWP (whatever), Vital Aim
3: Psionic Meditation
PW 2: Weapon Focus (Greatbow)
TF 2: Quick Draw
6: Fell Shot
TF 4: Precise Shot
9: Woodland Archer
12: Weapon Specialization
15: Ranged Weapon Mastery
18: empty

Psychic Warrior's Powers: Chamaleon, any

Now... I'm somewhat satisfied with the build, even if I feel it lacks utility out of stealthy/combat situation so anything improving that would be nice (I was thinking of going PsyWar 4/Targetter 2 and dropping Weap Spec and Ranged Weapon Mastery for example but I'm not sure). Still any suggestions are welcome.

Adding some meat on the stew, let's talk items!
A custom-made something-of-hunter's mercy is a given, so is a dex bonus item, but what about all the other slots? I'm not necessarily looking for anything that makes him do more damage, just for stuff that would make him more fun to play and maybe a bit more stealthy too.
On the damage side there's the bow tho... Splitting is out since it breaks the idea of ONE arrow... Force is nice, and what else? Prismatic Burst? are the other bursts worth it in you guys' opinion?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
Since arrows are drawn as ammunition Quick draw doesn't seem important and a simple weapon crystal shard can let you draw your bow as a free action.

Surprised you didn't take Targeteer's Sniping ability. From Vital Aim, WS and RWM you have some nice flat damage to multiply with a x4 crit mod.

Edited: rethought my advice
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 08:01:28 PM by skydragonknight »

Bard

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 08:02:19 PM »
Well since I want him to be good at single shots, getting Arrow Storm doesn't really help the objective. Plus if I take it I'll lose two feats (one to get it, and one for Rapid Shot that's a prerequisite).
At worst I could get another 2 levels of Targetter later on to get Rapid Shot + Arrow Storm at level 18, but it doesn't really fit the character much. I'd rather go with Cragtop Archer or something like that
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 08:23:32 PM »
Yeah, I quickly edited my post but you read too quickly. :P

Bard

« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2011, 08:45:59 PM »
Quick Draw is utterly useless, but it's a prerequisite for Peerless Archer :\
[Spoiler]
Rule 0?
[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »
This looks like a job...for Feat Rogue!  :lol

Bard

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 12:44:13 AM »
This looks like a job...for Feat Rogue!  :lol

!!!!
I was just struggling because I didn't want the psychic warrior in there, since I wanted the character to not be a "caster" of any kind, Feat Rogue is just perfect Rogue 4/Targetter 2 also nets Evasion, Uncanny Dodge and a whole lot of skills. Let me just see if thers's something decent to trade that Trap Sense for ;D
Edit: Nevermind, if I remove that I lose my power points and I need Hidden Talent to get the psionic feats :\

Back on the gear... I remembered two nice items, but I can't find them or recall the name, let's see if someone can help:
* a necklace that gives you the Dark template for 10 minutes/day letting you hide in plain sight
* the weapon enchantment that gives a bunch of negative levels on crits

also any suggestion is welcome as usual
[Spoiler]
Rule 0?
[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 01:06:57 AM »
Maybe a Feat Psychic Rogue? Psychic Rogue's from a Mind's Eye article.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Yuukale

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 01:55:20 AM »
This looks like a job...for Feat Rogue!  :lol

Back on the gear... I remembered two nice items, but I can't find them or recall the name, let's see if someone can help:
* a necklace that gives you the Dark template for 10 minutes/day letting you hide in plain sight

also any suggestion is welcome as usual

Collar of Umbral Metamorphosis - Tome of magic

Kasz

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »
In my campaign a critical arrow on a called shot to the head is an instant gib so I never bothered optimising damage. Considering an arrow of slaying and a bow of splitting is 2 x save or dies as well...

Guess stacking burst effects on top of the old hunter's mercy malarky would still do the trick.