Author Topic: Lightining McQuick, the Worlds Fastest Skill Monkey  (Read 5177 times)

Bookethed

• Monkey bussiness
Lightining McQuick, the Worlds Fastest Skill Monkey
« on: October 12, 2011, 12:35:33 PM »
Hey everyone!  So I was tooling around on the boards last night and I got a character concept that I think would be really fun, and I couldn't find any characters concepts like this, so I made an account and here we go. 

Here's the scene that came to my mind.  Lightning McQuick is hanging out in a bar or something and starts to make fun of a big fighter type character.  Lighting insults the fighter's mother or grandmother or mother's tuna salad or something along those lines.  The fighter then proceeds to draw his weapon of choice, only to realize that Lighting McQuick isn't in the same time zone anymore.

What I want to make is a character who has an optimized land speed.  The easiest way to increase speed that I can think of is, obviously, to take a whole bunch of monk, or monk prestige classes.  I have the feeling that there is a better way to do this, but I can't think of it.  I think i want to primarily make him a skill monkey.  To make him effective in combat, I'm thinking of taking dodge/mobility/spring attack to take advantage of the excessive speed.

This isn't for any particular game, so any class or items or races to boost speed is cool.  Because of the concept I had in mind, I'm not too keen on using magic to go faster, but if there is some spell that is excessively good, I'm willing to work it in.  I have thought about expeditious retreat, but if that's the only speed increasing spell...  To actually make him effective in combat, I'll probably take dodge/mobility/spring attack to squeeze all of the use out of the speed as possible.

Thanks in advanced for all your ideas and input!

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
Re: Lightining McQuick, the Worlds Fastest Skill Monkey
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 12:41:37 PM »
I think that's the most recent thread posted here on this subject: http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=13066.0.

O, and check Chuck.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:16 PM »
Ninja'd by Shiki!

My suggestion is to do a bunch of racial stuff, and then be a factotum 8 with lots of fonts of inspiration.  Then when you run instead of a x4 move you can take a x24 move or something.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 12:56:36 PM »
Spring Attack fighting is not a valid tactic, however. Even if you have all the feats for it.

If you insist, why not go Swiftblade? It's about as fast as you can get, and it does have the capacity to use that tactic well - even if it's not the best idea ever.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:34:33 PM »
Spring Attack fighting is not a valid tactic, however. Even if you have all the feats for it.

I've actually got Spring Attack up to 7 attacks (Rapid Blitz, Tempest's Two Weapon Spring Attack and Snap Kick), but it doesn't come into its own until very high levels. You're right though, it's strictly worse than Pounce unless you combine it with Improved Trip. And tripping someone and keeping your distance from them is still worse than stacking charge modifiers and actually killing them.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Bookethed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:41:33 PM »
Oh wow i guess i didn't look deep enough, thanks for those links!  Also, i never intended to this guy to actually be overly effective in combat, it is mostly an idea i had just to annoy my DM.  My group isn't so serious, so excessive shticks are kind of our thing.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
The easiest way to increase speed that I can think of is, obviously, to take a whole bunch of monk, or monk prestige classes. 

:twitch

CustosTheFluffy

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • Something witty will one day go here....
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:06:51 PM »
Spellwarped, ring of Magic Missile, and shooting yourself in the face constantly.

Kethrian

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 11:33:35 PM »
Well, since you're looking to be annoying with the character, the Dervish PrC could be fun.  With the Dance, you get one attack per square moved, and when you optimize for speed...

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Here is something I just came up with, as I have been recently considering a "speed demon" character.

Combine your typical 5' step

with - the WR stance that give you and extra 5' step + Elocater 7= extra 5' step + Spar Dummy O T Masters.

now you get 3x "5 foot" steps that are actually 10foot steps that equal 30' moved

You probably cannot combine this with a regular move action, but I though making a 30' adjustment per round would be kinda neato.

Rebel7284

• Grape ape
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:13 PM »
Here is something I just came up with, as I have been recently considering a "speed demon" character.

Combine your typical 5' step

with - the WR stance that give you and extra 5' step + Elocater 7= extra 5' step + Spar Dummy O T Masters.

now you get 3x "5 foot" steps that are actually 10foot steps that equal 30' moved

You probably cannot combine this with a regular move action, but I though making a 30' adjustment per round would be kinda neato.

Combine this with a swordsage which gets White Raven Tactics (Warblade dip or feats required I believe).  WRT yourself, Full Round action to recover WRT, 5 Foot Step.  Do this on each initiative count. 
Negative level on a chicken would make it a wight the next day.  Chicken the other wight meat. -borg286

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
The easiest way to increase speed that I can think of is, obviously, to take a whole bunch of monk, or monk prestige classes. 

You gotta wipe that monk right out of your head.

South Passive-ic reference

Bookethed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 08:23:35 PM »

South Passive-ic reference

Huh so my hunch that the most obvious way isn't the best way was right.  Good job me.  Thanks for all the input everyone! 

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 05:38:06 AM »
Mostly because monk levels give an enhancement bonus to speed that doesn't stack with other enhancement bonuses (that are generally much larger)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 06:53:04 AM »
Well, since you're looking to be annoying with the character, the Dervish PrC could be fun.  With the Dance, you get one attack per square moved, and when you optimize for speed...

Factotum/Dervish...DEAR LORD WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Kethrian

« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:02:51 AM »

Oh, and if you 2WF, mix in a dash of Tempest... 2 attacks per square...

Bookethed

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 07:58:40 PM »

Oh, and if you 2WF, mix in a dash of Tempest... 2 attacks per square...

This... sounds... AWESOME!!!  It would be better if i had my books so i could look this stuff up in... oh well.  Thanks for that line of destructive thinking!

CustosTheFluffy

• Email
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
Wait... I'm lost. I thought the dance merely let you move and get your full attacks. not get extra attacks based on distance. Though it is interesting for a character with speed in the triple digits to move half the distance, slap the enemy, and then run back to where he/she started.

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
Wait... I'm lost. I thought the dance merely let you move and get your full attacks. not get extra attacks based on distance. Though it is interesting for a character with speed in the triple digits to move half the distance, slap the enemy, and then run back to where he/she started.

Try that with versatile unarmed strike on an unarmed damage build.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

CustosTheFluffy

• Email
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 08:28:35 PM »

Try that with versatile unarmed strike on an unarmed damage build.
Still just slappin' about half a dozen times. Unless the DM allows TWF to work with unarmed attacks. Then add in Snap Kick. But, it's a start.