Author Topic: Wild Shape vs Shapechange  (Read 7063 times)

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Wild Shape vs Shapechange
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 12:27:44 AM »
Even 5k damage per round wouldn't impress me at level 20, I think I recently made a build that ungeared did 12 times that. With magic missiles.
I call BS on that. HOW?
A Wizard did it.
Your wit is blinding.  :psyduck
 :rollseyes

But seriously. How?
It's not that hard. I don't know how they did it but I would use an Artificer that uses a chained Ocular Alaunghaer's Triptych (note that Alaunghaer's Triptych can target one, two, or three items and to make it a valid target to be chained you must choose to only target one item) stored in an item to activate 21 different items. Now those items could be items of chained Ocular Alaunghaer's Triptych or just items of at will magic missile (potentially ones that have a whole bunch of metamagic applied to them) depending on how much damage you want to do. This would be perfectly doable for a 20th level Artificer with a cost reduction focus (in fact it would more than likely only take up a little of the Artificer's money) and a slight metamagic bent.

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 06:10:38 AM »
Even 5k damage per round wouldn't impress me at level 20, I think I recently made a build that ungeared did 12 times that. With magic missiles.

I call BS on that. HOW?

It was a Kobold Sorcerer/Incantatrix/War Mage IIRC, and it used Greater Arcane Fusion to spam a lot of metamagicked arcane fusions and magic missiles.

If you wanted to do more than that, Sorcerer 4/Spellthief 1/Incantatrix 10/Sublime Chord 1/Knight of the Weave 1/War Mage 3. Can use reserves of strength to unleash an insane amount of damage with each of his missile sprays.

Here is the preliminary, unfinished link to the build. It has some flaws, for example I forgot about the extra metamagic time for sorcerer, which probably brings the end result down to something around 50k damage.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 06:45:33 AM »
Aside from zioth learning how spells murder stuff in fun ways. I like the +12d6 part and ten attacks the best. As if that is epic.

It reminds me of an 8th level Bard giving everyone +12d6 sonic damage with their melee attacks.
Or maybe a 12th level naked Druid casting Venomfire.
Or any Hellfire Glaive build by like level 13.
Or around the amount of SA dice money can buy on any character.
Or the ultimate insult of a mundane Frenzied Berserker, not using a specific weapon, not using mounted & leap feats together, with half as many attacks per round, still deals like 6,000 more damage per round.

You live and learn right?
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 08:06:18 AM »
Well even if you consider 10 attacks at 12d8+20 valid, you still have to account for attack bonus vs AC.  If you're only hitting on a natural 20 it's more like 12d8+20 once every other round.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."