Author Topic: What action should be required to gain psionic focus?  (Read 3042 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
What action should be required to gain psionic focus?
« on: October 11, 2011, 04:11:45 AM »
Normally, gaining psionic focus is a full-round action.  Many claim that the Psionic Meditation feat, used to gain psionic focus as a move action, is a feat tax.

I'm unsure.  What do y'all say?
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
Re: What action should be required to gain psionic focus?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:26:01 PM »
Personally I think that anything called "meditation" should take several rounds, and should not be reducable to less than a One Round action. I'd make it take 1d6+4 rounds, and have the feat reduce that to 1d6 rounds.  :D

Necrosnoop110

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 05:36:10 PM »
I'm fine with how it is. 

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 10:46:24 PM »
I'm not big on the whole feat tax issue. It's already bad enough trying spending two feats on getting a psionic focus to begin with (though Psicrystal Affinity is awesome by itself -- I'm just not sure it should be required to get a second focus).

I'd probably say to just leave it as a move action and be done with it.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 01:10:11 AM »
I'm fine with it as it is.  Aside from the feats that require expending your focus, there are also feats and abilities that work by maintaining it.  Psionic Meditation is not a feat tax, IMO, and it's not a requirement for every psionic character to have.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
Non-action.

It's fine as is, really.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 10:58:53 AM »
I'm fine with it as it is.  Aside from the feats that require expending your focus, there are also feats and abilities that work by maintaining it.  Psionic Meditation is not a feat tax, IMO, and it's not a requirement for every psionic character to have.
+1
Personally I think that anything called "meditation" should take several rounds
Then call it "quick focus" instead... hardly important.

Back to the +1 I think it is a bit of a feat tax, but Stream is correct every class doesn't take it.
Psions would just use it for metamagic... every psiwar build that CAN, Does, and wilders never take it cause they just can't afford the tax. Psylocke wannabe's .... aren't even worth discussing, and the classes from the other book have way bigger issues.

A simple solution would be to just give it as a class abilities to wilders and psiwars, and keep it as a feat if a psion wants to pay the feat tax.
you can only maintain one at a time.

Uhm... dont' psicrystals hold them for you? I'm sure they do. Coupled withthe existance of this feat kinda makes your balance argmuent sound kind of stupid.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:28:53 PM »
Let me pose another question:

As a player, would you take this power even if you had to forgo other options for it?

As a DM, how would you balance this power with regards to it's level and PP cost?

Restore Focus
Psychometabolism
Level: Psion/wilder X, psychic warrior Y
Display: Mental
Manifesting Time: 1 swift action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: Instantaneous
Power Points: Psion/wilder X, psychic warrior Y

You expend power to force your mind to focus. You immediately gain your psionic focus, without needing to roll a Concentration check.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »
It's not a feat tax. Much of psionics is "balanced" around the idea that psionic focus demands a fullround action to recover and you can only maintain one at a time.

Faster psionic focus and extra psionic focus isn't needed for any psionic build to work. It's only needed for powerbuilds and powergamers.
Not even then really, you only need extra focus if you're going metapsionic heavy, and most powers you want to apply lots of metapsionics on are augmentable anyway.

So yeah, keep it as it is, unless you're doing a metapsi build you won't care, and if you are, it's only a relatively minor hitch.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 08:20:16 PM »
Metapsionics or psionic feats that require that you expend your focus. Note that if you expend your focus you can't use the maintaining focus feats, so if you ever have reason to expend it (even just for the Take 15 option on Concentration) you'll want this feat anyway.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]