Author Topic: Spoony Explains his Shadowrun Squirt Gun Story  (Read 4929 times)

Endarire

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
Hood - My first answer to all your build questions; past, present, and future.

Speaking of which:
Don't even need TO for this.  Any decent Hood build, especially one with Celerity, one-rounds [Azathoth, the most powerful greater deity from d20 Cthulu].
Does it bug anyone else that we've reached the point where characters who can obliterate a greater deity in one round are considered "decent?"

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Spoony Explains his Shadowrun Squirt Gun Story
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »
The various Narcoject compressed air guns are some of the most optimal weapons in SR.  The are silent, bypass most armor, and instantly incapacitate most living enemies without killing them.  The SR books basically say "You shouldn't kill people unless you absolutely have to...OR ELSE."

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 03:08:01 PM »
That was indeed very entertaining. It is always interesting to hear about what amounts to optimization fueled adventures.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:38:26 PM »
I actually have "Pun-Pun/Tier 0" level optimization tricks in SR2 / SR3 from starting level if anyone is interested.

Esgath

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:00:35 AM »
I have interest in SR3 tricks :)

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 06:00:14 PM »
 :smirk Shadow Run 4 was great for concept builds.

We only ever got to play one session and it's been so long I forget the lingo but I had fun explaining to the GM how my Rigger used Paint Trodes modified to be used as paintball ammo linked to "hot VR" throwaway terminal devices, effectively hacked Barbie My First PDA's, to lock his Troll Adepts in a white room construct with no exit. Unlimited Damage soak does nothing against neural manipulation and without the ability to hack the VR to crash the device or exit the software they would be trapped until the batteries ran out or someone outside the VR turned off the transmitting wireless terminals which I hid nearby in the trash. He practically blew a gasket after looking over the rules when he couldn't find a loophole to get his Invulnerable Killer Ambush Team out of my carefully prepare contingency trap.

Apparently he wanted us to get ambushed and 'killed' during our first run to wake up in a high security hospital for the next story. Instead we completed the job and got paid by Mr Johnson on time.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:54:09 PM »
The TO revolves around the SR Companion and Shadowtech which, as far as I can tell, are both valid in SR2 and SR3.

The Allergy Flaw is basically open to brutally being abused.  Just take a Mild Allergy to "everything" and get a pile of Flaw "points" that you can then spend on Edges.  What Edges you might ask?  Well for starters; all of them.  A severe allergy to Uranium? Sounds good to me!  A severe allergy to Arsenic?  Bring on the free points!  Repeat for an arbitrary amount of elements on the periodic table, most of which kill you anyways if you were exposed to them.  Mild Allergy only gives you a penalty of 1 to your rolls (basically) and is barely noticeable so pick that as well.

Yes, your character has a penalty all the time you're not in your bio-suit, but this is SR, you can easily get a really badass bio-suit and never have a penalty.  Also, who cares?  You now can take several Edges that make you ridiculous, the best two are State of the Art Model at 6 value, and, Magical Talent, but you can also take an Arbitrary amount of Aptitude Edges that would cancel out your penalty of 1 if you were not in your badass bio-suit.

Also you have *all* Edges.  So you have Friends in High Places and so on.  You have an arbitrary number of additional contacts; *all* the Edges and an infinite number of Edges that you can take multiple times.

Now if you're a spellcaster, you've already won with Pun-Pun level ridiculousness at the starting gate.  With an arbitrary amount of points from Magical Talent, you have all spells as an "innate" ability at Force 5 which is not bad at all.

If you're not a spellcaster, you want to open up Shadowtech and take a look at the "second hand bioware" rules (I know there are rules for second hand cyberware also but my books are packed and I can't seem to recall where they were printed.)  When paired up with State of the Art Model, you can start with all Beta/Delta grade second hand wares for a fraction of normal essence/body index.  With just a little bit of work I made a starting character who had 3d6+28 Initiative when his Adrenal Pump was *not* engaged; and I'm sure it could be improved.  I recall another nifty piece of optimization where I combined the Synaptic Accelerator with the Move By Wire System; both list a ton of things that boost inititative that are incompatible with each item...but the items don't mention each other so...massive initiative!

With starting stats of 1 in Strength and Charisma, I still ended up with modified Strength of 7 and Charisma of 3 due to the sheer amounts of stuff this opens up.  Highly TO and obviously not allowed at any table because you would be a monster from someone's nightmares.  If Cybermancy were allowed at start, you could exceed this even easier, but I left that out because that would make it too easy.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 10:32:30 PM by Nachofan99 »

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 03:30:10 PM »
Last I checked, merits were capped. AFB, but wasn't it 20 or 25 points worth?

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 08:01:34 PM »
It's 25 points, but that's 4th edition Shadowrun.
Nachofan99 is talking about SR 2 and SR 3, which might not have that rule.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 10:30:16 PM »
There's no such thing as "merits" in SR2 or SR3.