Author Topic: Need help with a deck concept [MtG]  (Read 3248 times)

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Thread Necromancy a Specialty
Need help with a deck concept [MtG]
« on: October 10, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Alright, I run a blue deck, and I want my deck to be able to forcefully deck out other decks.

As in, they lose from a lack of cards.

Thing is, I'm having problems stripping away less useful cards out of my deck, so...

Creatures
1 Merfolk Spy
1 Aether Figment
2 Azorius Guildmage
1 Augury Owl
1 Dream Thrush
1 Fugitive Wizard
1 Halimar Excavator
1 Halimar Wavewatch
1 Information Dealer
2 Merfolk Looters
1 Merfolk Mesmerist
2 Sage Owl
1 Drift of Phantasms
3 Mistform Dreamer
2 Neurok Commando
1 Prodigal Sorcerer
1 Sea Gate Oracle
1 Wall of Frost
1 Wizard Mentor
1 Sage Aven
1 Soratami Mindsweeper
1 Vedalken Infuser
1 Belltower Sphinx
(29)
Spells
2 Fleeting Distraction
1 Preordain
1 Shared Discovery
1 Tome Scour
2 Unsummon
1 Quest for Ancient Secrets
1 Essence Scatter
1 Jace's Erasure
2 Narcolepsy
3 Negate
1 Peel from Reality
3 See Beyond
1 Think Twice
1 Archmage Ascension
1 Bewilder
1 Call to Mind
2 Cancel
1 Convolute
1 Divination
1 Ego Erasure
1 Frost Breath
1 Vacuumelt
1 Domestication
2 Foresee
1 Frazzle
2 Fuel for the Cause
1 Sleep
2 Vivisection
1 Jace's Ingenuity
2 Mind Control
1 Mysteries of the Deep
1 Reality Spasm
(43)
Artifacts
1 Voltaic Key
1 Courier's Capsule
1 Reito Lantern
1 Shrine of Limitless Power
1 Whispersilk Cloak
1 Decimator Web
1 Dreamstone Hedron
(7)
Lands
31 Islands
1 Halimar Depths
1 Salt Marsh
(33)

Total: 112 cards.

As you can say, that is a bit... large.

"Combos" I have used:
Decimator Web+Voltaic Key= A nice 12 cards lost on my opponent's side.
Drift of Phantasms=Formerly used to call up my Wall of Frost when I used a UW deck (I paired Wall of Frost with Luminous Wake; so what if it's unoriginal?), now used to call up a Neurok Commando.
Ego Erasure=Not really a combo, but it is HILARIOUS to watch someone playing an Elf deck when you play this card... I need a way to deal a low amount of damage to all of their cards, though...

Decimator Web+Voltaic Key+Reality Spasm=If I go all out (this takes a whopping 22 Mana, at least, which is hard for me to achieve), I can remove the top 24 cards of my opponent's deck; considering that this is IN
ADDITION to 8 damage and 4 Poison counters...

So...

1. I need suggestions of which cards to cut or cut back on.
2. Any suggestions of CHEAP cards to add? I don't have much money, so it is basically commons for me.
3. Any combos that you see that are good/halfway decent?
[spoiler]Fighter: "I can kill a guy in one turn."
Cleric: "I can kill a guy in half a turn."
Wizard: "I can kill a guy before my turn."
Bard: "I can get three idiots to kill guys for me."

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.
probably over on "Off-topic".
might want to put a little disclaimer in the first post.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

Nachofan99

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Need help with a deck concept [MtG]
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:18 PM »
If you're going to "Mill", I really like Traumatize+Haunting Echoes.  Definitely 4x Jace Beleren.  Then a bunch of counterspells and kill cards.  I'd do it like that.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 07:56:37 PM »
If you're going to "Mill", I really like Traumatize+Haunting Echoes.  Definitely 4x Jace Beleren.  Then a bunch of counterspells and kill cards.  I'd do it like that.

Jace, Memory Adept is somewhat better for a Mill deck.

Anyways, Amechra, you need more 4-ofs.  4 Halimar Excavator, 4 Phantasmal Image, etc.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:41:23 PM »
I know I need more 4-ofs. I just am extremely limited on funds...

In other words, once I have a substantial money buffer, I'll buy any cards you suggest, but as of now, the cards I listed are all the blue cards I have to deal with.

On a strange note, would anyone be put out if we had a post about people or events we can spare a thought for, or if its within their creed, a prayer for? Just a random thought, but ... hells I wouldn't have known about either Archangels daughter or Saeomons niece if I didn't happen to be on these threads.
Sounds fine to me.

This is the Min/Max board. We should be able to figure out a way to optimize the POWER OF PRAYER(TM) that doesn't involve "Pazuzu, Pazuzu, Pazuzu".
[/spoiler]

My final project for my film independent study course. It could do with a watching and critiquing

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2011, 06:59:53 PM »
Trepanation Blade instantly adds a Mill effect to any deck, even if you simply want damage, and it's pretty cheap. Scalpelexis is around two bucks per card and against a 4-ofs deck or even someone so poor they run a lot of basic lands can mill someone multiple times, attach the blade and watch the cards fly for a powerful repeatable mill effect.

And speaking of damage, if your deck at least comes across as using direct damage Book Burning is one of those pick the lesser evil cards. Red/Blue also means you can throw Quicksilver Dagger in, then tap a none-attacking creature at the end of your opponent's turn. Both cards are around 50 cents and I'm sure you can throw some more direct damage in or just put some of those creatures to use. Make it so you can win by damage and opponents will more often than not choose to be milled to death (since it'll take you longer to do so).

And some times you don't really need four copies of everything.
Keen Stone is about as cheap too since it can be pretty slow, throw one or two of them in your deck, by the time you get one it'll probably end the game for you. My mill deck is mostly designed to be fun so I've tossed in Sadistic Sacrament, which I love if for no other reason than crushing the hopes and dreams of another player by taking out their favorite card(s), and  Spoils of Evil which lets me dump my hand on the table more often than not. They are all less than three bucks a pop too.

Edit - tag fix.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 07:03:37 PM by SorO_Lost »
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

Amechra

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 08:41:33 PM »
Thank you so much, sor0; I know what's on my Christmas list...

I love Trepanation Blade and Keening Stone to bits, by the way.

Sounds fine to me.

[/spoiler]

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 10:11:41 PM »
And, obviously, picking up some copies of Sword of Body and Mind and Leyline of the Void/Tromod's Crypt would go a very long way to helping your deck.

If you decide to splash black for the Leyline, consider getting two or three copies of Geth, Lord of the Vault.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 04:14:57 AM »
And, obviously, picking up some copies of Sword of Body and Mind and Leyline of the Void/Tromod's Crypt would go a very long way to helping your deck.

If you decide to splash black for the Leyline, consider getting two or three copies of Geth, Lord of the Vault.
Tromod's Crypt? Eew, my poorness can't settle for a four dollar single use artifact. Get Bojuka Bog, it costs pennies and it's a land.

And if you're going suggest a fifteen dollar Sword of Mind and Body, why not go ahead and mention some other semi expensive mill cards too? Like Mind Funeral,  Brain Freeze, Traumatize, Archive Trap, or even Hedron Crab? Maybe even the almighty Glimpse the Unthinkable.

You know, Innistrad just came out a few weeks ago. Zombie based mill is having it's go around these days.
Undead Alchemist & Lich Lord of Unx = Zombies are mill.
Cemetery Reaper & Necromancer's Covenant = Mills is your zombies.
Endless Ranks of the Dead & Army of the Damned = Ahh hell have some more zombies! *cough* I mean paint a Wrath of God target on your self.
Even Nephalia Drownyard was printed in the new set, you probably have room for it.

Sadly, I seen the spoiled cards of Innistrad the day they went up, compiled up a deck list and figured I didn't want to spend twenty bucks on four Death Barons and the like, now the price damn near tripled on Cardkingdom and nearly every zombie lord is sold out. I srsly should have jumped on it if for nothing else than to resell it.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]