Author Topic: Making a Witcher  (Read 17379 times)

Lycarn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Making a Witcher
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:57:26 PM »
If anyone doesn't know what a Witcher is go look up the video game titled The Witcher and The Witcher 2: Assassin of Kings.
Specifically I want to build off the concept of Geralt of Rivia.

I.E. This guy

So what I've come up with so far is this

*Updated build*
1   Fighter   Power Attack   Combat Expertise
2   Fighter   Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
3   Warblade   Dodge
4   Warblade   
5   Warblade   
6   Duskblade   Mobility   
7   Abjurant Champion   
8   Abjurant Champion   
9   Abjurant Champion   Brew Potion   
10   Abjurant Champion   
11   Abjurant Champion   
12   Duskblade   ?   
13   Warblade   
14   Warblade   Combat Reflexes
15   Warblade   Elusive Target
16   Warblade   
17   Warblade      
18   Warblade   Two free feats
19   Warblade      
20   Warblade   

So just trying to figure out what else to do, either tweaks on the current build or finding those last two feats that would fit with the combat style. Some kind of grenade combat or weapon oils I'm not entirely sure where to find.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:41:43 AM by Lycarn »

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Making a Witcher
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:25 PM »
2   Fighter   Combat Casting
Combat Casting isn't a fighter bonus feat.

3   Warblade   Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
You don't have proficiency.

A level of Duskblade instead of Wizard would be better. Or two, it gives Combat Casting on 2nd.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 10:20:34 PM by ImperatorK »
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 12:54:41 AM »
I would probably actually make the guy a wizard/swiftblade, as the speed of the character is one of the things emphasized in the novels and games. Maybe look for some recommendations in the swiftblade handbook. Otherwise a warblad with some custom template or prestige class would best model him.

Lycarn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 01:37:15 AM »
2   Fighter   Combat Casting
Combat Casting isn't a fighter bonus feat.

Yeah I meant to change that. Wasn't on purpose.

3   Warblade   Weapon Focus (Bastard Sword)
You don't have proficiency.

A level of Duskblade instead of Wizard would be better. Or two, it gives Combat Casting on 2nd.

"A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon" so you have proficiency unless you're using it one handed. Therefore you only would get the benefits of weapon focus when using as a two-handed weapon - atleast if you're using it RAW.

And yeah, I agree with the Duskblade thing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 01:44:43 AM by Lycarn »

Lycarn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 01:52:13 AM »
The one problem with Duskblade is they don't get haste. Anyway to fix that? Because Swiftblade would be a good class...

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 02:01:01 AM »
Duskblade3/paladin2/abjurant1/SA1/abjurantchampion+4/swiftblade9

If you need the maneuvers switch out as needed.  SA is suel arcanamach which gives 5th level spells and gets trans as a school.  You could dump paladin for warblade as well but lose charisma synergy as this has charisma as a main casting stat as well as charisma to saves and initiative.

Carnap

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »
Arcane Disciple (Time domain) feat grants among others haste.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:49:29 AM »
"A character can use a bastard sword two-handed as a martial weapon" so you have proficiency unless you're using it one handed. Therefore you only would get the benefits of weapon focus when using as a two-handed weapon - atleast if you're using it RAW.
That's an exception. A special case. The weapon is still exotic and you have to be proficient with it to take WF.

Duskblade3/paladin2/abjurant1/SA1/abjurantchampion+4/swiftblade9

If you need the maneuvers switch out as needed.  SA is suel arcanamach which gives 5th level spells and gets trans as a school.  You could dump paladin for warblade as well but lose charisma synergy as this has charisma as a main casting stat as well as charisma to saves and initiative.
This build is cool, but I'm not sure if Geralt could be a Paladin. I've seen only a couple episodes of the series, but quite some time ago and I didn't really read any books about him, but I don't remember him as even slightly paladin-y. He was a great warrior and could cast some spells, he was definitely charismatic and smart, but... LG? Nooo...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 06:04:53 AM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

vilenatas

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 11:07:28 AM »
You could make him CG, CE, LE using the alternate paladins.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:46 AM »
Yeah, I wanted to edit my post and say that, but I forgot. There are variants for all the alignments in Dragon. :) (well, maybe not including Neutral, iirc)

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:50:25 AM »
Yeah, I wanted to edit my post and say that, but I forgot. There are variants for all the alignments in Dragon. :) (well, maybe not including Neutral, iirc)
Actually there's a Neutral one. Name's "Incarnate."
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

zugschef

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 11:54:20 AM »
i know potions are really crap, but if you really want to build the witcher you need the brew potion feat...

[edit] sorry... totally didn't see that it's in your build already. your build doesn't work though... you need the 2nd level of duskblade before abjurant champion because of combat casting...

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 01:27:51 PM »
Geralt is pretty strong and fast, but he's certainly not at the level of magic as a full sorcerer or wizard

Aard - Telekinesis
Igni - Burning Hands + (Fire DoT)
Yrden - Ground Trap, sort of Glyph of Warding
Quen- Vigor + Fire Shield, or other damage absorb + force feedback sort of effect
Axii - Short Dominate Person, Charm Person
Heliotrope - A few possible effects, damp power, minor time stop / short 3.0 haste

All Somatic, (no verbal?), often? visual display

Recharge Magic system

Brew Potion
Enhance Potion effects & duration, pretty sure there's a DR feat for that
craft(alchemy)
Enhanced alchemy?

Lots of skillpoints / skills... like... all

All weapons & many exotic weapon proficiencies. His swords are typically longsword. Lot of random weapons you can also use in the games.
light armor proficiency

Some ToB maneuvers
Evasive Reflexes
Power Attack

Flaw: Sterility

Mutagens are a bit unique.

Ultimately fleshes out a bit different considering the skill tree paths in the games.

Haven't read the books, so there's probably even more variation.

Can probably stitch together something from existing classes, but it would be better off to just have a homebrew class that mimics the choices in the character progression of the game, or other such legends of his capabilities.

Magic usually still rules in his universe, except certainly the more powerful magics take much longer to cast, seem to suffer recharge times, and can cause mental burn on greater magics. Mages only seem to be defeated when they decide to stick it out rather than teleport away.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 02:00:18 PM »
Arcanist-slaying Mystic Ranger of the Arcane Order 6/Witch Hunter 5/Swiftblade 9

Feats- Dodge, Mobility, Elusive Target, Extra Favored Enemy x2, Brew Potion, Otherworldly, Sword of the Arcane Order
Combat Style- Power Attack (I know there's some variant somewhere that does this, just don't know where)
Items- Bastard Swords.  You're proficient due to type.  Potion Belts, assuming your DM lets you use the potion as a swift action.  It seems fair given the absurd price of potions.
Abilities- High Strength, Constitution, and Charisma, 12 or 14 Int, 13 Dex, and enough Wisdom to get access to all spells with an item.  Avoid spells that allow saving throws.  This character should obviously only be played if you roll stats.  :rollseyes

Favored Enemies: Arcanists +6, Monstrous Humanoids +2, Magical Beasts +2

EDIT: Crap, forgot Knowledge Devotion.  That totally belongs in there somewhere, too.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 02:04:48 PM by X-Codes »

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 02:11:02 PM »
That's a rather powerful Gish, really. Not crazy, but certainly very powerful. While you're at it, you're already sterile, so Eunuch Warlock might be of use to get you the higher level spells, and fit the fluff, sorta.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2011, 03:34:58 PM »
That's a rather powerful Gish, really. Not crazy, but certainly very powerful. While you're at it, you're already sterile, so Eunuch Warlock might be of use to get you the higher level spells, and fit the fluff, sorta.
Witcher = shooting blanks
Eunuch = broken gun

Just to clear that up. :p

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 04:16:56 PM »
Is there any summary of this guy's abilities somewhere?

i know potions are really crap, but if you really want to build the witcher you need the brew potion feat...
Brew Potion
craft(alchemy)
Enhanced alchemy?
[...]
Potions and mutagens you say?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Nunkuruji

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 04:26:49 PM »
Is there any summary of this guy's abilities somewhere?

Brew Potion
craft(alchemy)
Enhanced alchemy?
[...]
Potions and mutagens you say?

Ah, I haven't really read any PF stuff

http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Witcher_Wiki

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 04:55:11 PM »
This is utterly off-topic, but thanks for reminding me, I need to play through Witcher again on my next vacation.

On topic: I think the swords he uses are more like longswords than bastard swords. Easier to pull off as well. Also, he probably could be counted to have medium armour proficiency. At least to me Raven's armour looked like medium, not light.

Handy Links

Talore

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • Viking Skald
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2011, 06:07:09 PM »
Eunuch Warlock was updated in Dragon Magazine to 3.5, it now grants 9/10 casting progression instead of bonus spells.
Backseat moderator (voice) -_-