Author Topic: Cost of a magic item with shield spell  (Read 7746 times)

Ecthelion

• Monkey bussiness
Cost of a magic item with shield spell
« on: October 08, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »

Vaerenth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Cost of a magic item with shield spell
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 06:22:11 PM »
Since you are using it to duplicate the spell effect then it uses the spell cost for enchanting. However, depending on its caster level (assuming 1st) it will be easier to dispel (meaning its effects will be easier to repress).
4e tried to fix this problem by toning it all down by a lot and eliminating the wild card spells that were too powerful or dynamic. The issue is no one likes to go from Phenomenal Cosmic Power to itty bitty living space. Which is exactly what 4e tried to force on people.

rasmuswagner

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 11:04:12 AM »
Since you're making a custom magic item, whatever the GM says. And I for one would certainly use bonus squared.

Vaerenth

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 03:22:17 PM »
But its not the same. One is an existing shield with a +1 enhancement bonus and one that gives a +4 shield bonus to AC. While a +2 heavy shield does give +4 shield AC its not the same as a continuous shield spell.
4e tried to fix this problem by toning it all down by a lot and eliminating the wild card spells that were too powerful or dynamic. The issue is no one likes to go from Phenomenal Cosmic Power to itty bitty living space. Which is exactly what 4e tried to force on people.

Empirate

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
Never use the magic item construction guidelines to make permanent items based on spell effect if you can also use another chart that would produce a more costly result. You're bound to run into something awful. If you use those pricing guidelines to make Shield permanent, how about True Strike? It's only 1st level, too! So cheap!

Your shield spell provides an AC bonus. It's not an armor bonus, so it's a bit more expensive than 16,000 gp (4x4x1,000). Instead, it will stack with an armor bonus, so that would make it roughly on par with an Amulet of Natural Armor (natural armor bonus, bonus squared x 2,000), or a Ring of Protection (bonus squared x 2,000, as well). However, since natural armor bonuses and deflection bonuses can't be obtained by simple mundane items, while shield bonuses can, this might be a bit too expensive. I'd probably use something like "bonus squared x 1,500 gp" to come up with a final price. So your permanent Shield item would cost you 24,000 gp.

But wait! The Shield spell also protects from Magic Missiles! So we'd have to include that effect in our cost calculation. A Brooch of Shielding can absorb 101 points of MM damage and costs 1,500 gp. Your item, however, would lack such a limit to the amount of MMs it can absorb. So let's at least double that price. And then double it again because we're putting two effects into one item, leaving us with 6,000 gp additional cost.

An item that produces a constant effect that works like the Shield spell would be estimated to cost 30,000 gp (market price) by this calculation. I think it's a fair price to ask, if a bit on the expensive side. As a DM I'd probably be OK to reduce that price by 10 to 20 per cent.

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:46:12 AM »
It's a shield bonus, so, er, I'd go with 16,000gp for that part.
Unlimited use is twice charged price, so add 3,000gp for the shield part.
Since they're from the same spell I personally wouldn't multiply anything to put them on the same item, and would call it 19,000gp. The interpretation of adding the multiple different abilities price (x1.5 to the next ability) is probably more proper, though, so add another 1,500gp for 20,500gp.
Slot would be cloak or necklace of course.

Of course it doesn't stack with an actual shield so shield bonus might be overpriced, but that's the cost you pay for having it active so much. I certainly wouldn't price it over 20,500gp. The part about absorbing magic missiles alone is worth 3,000gp, so 4k is definitely an underestimate.

Redeemer of Ogar

• My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 03:22:43 PM »
Never use the magic item construction guidelines to make permanent items based on spell effect if you can also use another chart that would produce a more costly result.

This times ten. The biggest problem with the magic item construction guidelines is, they LOOK like rules. With the exception of consumables though (scrolls, wands, potions, staffs), they very much are not rules, they are just suggestions for the GM. The first "rule" you should apply is, find something else in the book that provides a similar bonus, and use that item's cost as a guideline. Why? Not because all the prices in the book are good prices, but because you don't want the craft feat to provide an unfair and unreasonable bonus that other players can't even come close to matching with cash.

Vicerious

• Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 02:09:44 AM »
When making a custom magic item, always try to find similar items to compare it to.  A continuous shield spell would be roughly equivalent to a double-strength ring of force shield (8500gp) and an unlimited brooch of shielding (1500gp).

Combining both would cost 10750gp for an item that gives +2 shield bonus to AC and absorbs 101 points of magic missile damage.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire