Author Topic: Fighter as a true feat-monkey  (Read 2276 times)

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
Fighter as a true feat-monkey
« on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:41 PM »
What would be the consequences of allowing a Fighter to take any feats with his bonus feats? I'm particularly concerned about his "fighter" role, which I want to retain.
One consequence I can think of of the top of my head - the class would be even more a dip-only class then it is now, which I don't really like. :(
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
  • My avatar is from the anime "Pani Poni Dash!".
Re: Fighter as a true feat-monkey
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 01:04:42 PM »
What would be the consequences of allowing a Fighter to take any feats with his bonus feats? I'm particularly concerned about his "fighter" role, which I want to retain.
One consequence I can think of of the top of my head - the class would be even more a dip-only class then it is now, which I don't really like. :(
If the class gets better it would be less dip-only.

As for consequences: It sucks less. That about it. There's way more versatility. Picking up random shit like Martial Stance and Bind Soulmeld will happen.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 01:06:19 PM »
Martial Stance is already a fighter bonus feat. ;)

I was hoping for a little more in-depth analysis, to be honest. :p

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 01:06:53 PM »
Martial Stance is alrady a fighter bonus feat. ;)
Late night posting. Thanks for the catch.
If I say something about real world physics, and someone disagrees, assume I am right 90% of the time. This number goes up to 100% if I am late night posting - trust me, my star dust sibs.

Saxony

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 01:36:13 PM »
Hey, imp. Want to post some implications of your own, or are you just asking others to fill in the blanks for you?

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 01:44:47 PM »
What blanks? I've got no idea, no meaningful experience or expertise, and not that much time to come up with implications on my own. I'm asking what do you think could happen if the Fighter would have so many general feats. If you don't want to answer then that's fine.

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 02:05:14 PM »
There aren't terribly many non fighter feats which make you better at fighting.  Astonishing, I know!
Off the top of my head, however, making fighters able to grab any sort of general feats means you'll see a whole lot of dipping going on.

Actual Fighter Builds:

A pure fighter is probably better at being a Soulborn than the actual Soulborn is, if he can spend all his feats on incarnum related shenanigans.

A /weird/ (but possibly effective) fighter would use fighter bonus feats for possibly some of the odder feat chains, like Aberrant Blood, or Willing Deformity.  This would let you get 15 feet of reach barehanded by level 2, if you were human (though you would be slightly odd looking)

A pure fighter could do some interesting things, perhaps, with all the [Psionic] feats lying around.  With Wild Talent, Deflective Armor, Psionic Meditation, Psychic Meditation, Deep Impact and a Deep Crystal Weapon you have a very interesting sort of fighter.  But you probably just want a warblade or a psywar for that sort of flavor.

Cannotthink

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 03:28:25 PM »
I believe that Unearthed Arcana already allows the fighter to take any feat as a bonus feat. It's under Generic Classes. They call it a Warrior.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:31:19 PM by Cannotthink »

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 03:37:13 PM »
I could definitely see people playing with some of the feat chains where the individual feats grow more powerful based on the number of that type of feats you have.  Shifters could get downright nasty.

Scrollreader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 03:45:55 PM »
The fighter is just a really crummy chassis for builds, though.  Unless you're replacing feats with dungeoncrasher, or Zhentarim fighter, almost all these builds work better with feat rogue.