Author Topic: TVTropes Plot Generator  (Read 6525 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
TVTropes Plot Generator
« on: October 07, 2011, 03:03:23 PM »
TVTropes Plot Generator
Sounds like fun so I cranked one out.
We say "story generator", but it should probably be "story idea generator". These elements from the trope indexes should spark an idea or two.
Setting:    One Gender School
Plot:    Identity Impersonator
Narrative Device:    A Boy And His X
Hero:    Adventure Series
Villain:    Murderous Mannequin
Character As Device:    Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?
Characterization Device:    Always Female
Wonder what that makes.

EDIT:
Ah I got it, Magic academy for girls that uses dolls for magic, the protagonist is a trap doing odd jobs to py school fees, the BBEG is a killer independent doll.
Setting:    Orphanage Of Fear
Plot:    Madden Into Misanthropy
Narrative Device:    The Climax
Hero:    The Cape
Villain:    Four Eyes Zero Soul
Character As Device:    Black And Nerdy
Characterization Device:    Guttural Growler
Woah, grim.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:20:16 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Re: TVTropes Plot Generator
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 04:23:18 PM »
We say "story generator", but it should probably be "story idea generator". These elements from the trope indexes should spark an idea or two.
Setting:    One Gender School
Plot:    Identity Impersonator
Narrative Device:    A Boy And His X
Hero:    Adventure Series
Villain:    Murderous Mannequin
Character As Device:    Why Do You Keep Changing Jobs?
Characterization Device:    Always Female
Wonder what that makes.

EDIT:
Ah I got it, Magic academy for girls that uses dolls for magic, the protagonist is a trap doing odd jobs to py school fees, the BBEG is a killer independent doll.
I am surprised this does not already exist. :p Expect someone in Japan to see this post and turn it into a light novel within a month or two.

Setting:    Orphanage Of Fear
Plot:    Madden Into Misanthropy
Narrative Device:    The Climax
Hero:    The Cape
Villain:    Four Eyes Zero Soul
Character As Device:    Black And Nerdy
Characterization Device:    Guttural Growler
Woah, grim.
A superhero helps out in an orphanage as part of his civilian persona, causing him to lose faith in humanity and destroy the world? Or use a Villain Protagonist, who idolised a superhero until collateral damage got him sent to an orphanage and he grew up into a supervillain.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 04:29:36 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Kajhera

• Hong Kong
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
Setting: Hell Is War
Plot:   A Friend In Need
Narrative Device:   Think Happy Thoughts
Hero:   Unlikely Hero
Villain: Not Me This Time
Character As Device: Dragon Rider
Characterization Device: Internal Reformist

Damned to an eternal war in Hell, some kid is the Chosen One who can help a depressed dragon reform the system by encouraging him to look on the positive side of things. On finally confronting Satan they discover he has nothing to do with it.
(I don't really know how that gets resolved.)

Setting: Truce Zone
Plot:   Victorious Loser
Narrative Device:   George Jetson Job Security
Hero:   The Wise Prince
Villain: Villainous Lament
Character As Device: He Who Must Not Be Seen
Characterization Device: Mister Big

In a city of free traders, a wretched hive of scum and villainy, a man's life is seemingly ruined. He is removed from office by an arbitrary and capricious recall by his political opponents after a difficult but necessary choice. The (short) man who ascends to office has to deal with the complex and difficult to understand operations of the city, finding himself in over his head and coming to regret the actions that brought down the prior ruler, and beholden to the interests of the transnational corporations that paid to put him in power, the representatives of which he speaks with by speakerphone at most -- no video. By the end the ruler put in place turns to the ways of the former as a teacher, and wisdom is vindicated.

oslecamo

• Grape ape
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 04:57:56 PM »
Setting: Heaven
Plot:    We Need To Get Proof
Narrative Device: Invisible To Normals
Hero: Brother Sister Team
Villain: Master Poisoner
Character As Device: The Worlds Expert On Getting Killed
Characterization Device: Knight In Sour Armor

She's a mighty angel that insists on helping humanity even after centuries of witnessing their flaws first-hand. He's a (not so) mighty angel  that however makes up for his lack of raw power by being a walking library of obscure lore. They're siblings from Heaven, mortals cannot see them, and they must find an high-ranking archangel gone rogue and killing anyone that commits the smallest sins, by use of sophisticated poisons that can't be traced back to him. The heroes must track whatever clues they can get their hands on to bring the villain to justice!

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:04:48 PM »
Setting:    Day Of The Jackboot
Plot:    Fighting For A Homeland
Narrative Device:    Tongue Tied
Hero:    Harem Hero
Villain:    The Brute
Character As Device:    Almost Dead Guy
Characterization Device:    Fat Idiot
The story is set on a generation ship which has set out to find a planet for colonisation. The leader of the expedition dies, and his last words are misinterpreted as granting control to a fat idiot with radically different political views. Even with the help of the old leader's exclusively female staff, can he pull the expedition through now that they're being attacked by alien monsters?

Setting:    Stepford Suburbia
Plot:    Cinderella Circumstances
Narrative Device:    You Are In Command Now
Hero:    Anti Hero Substitute
Villain:    Trigger Happy
Character As Device:    Sidekick
Characterization Device:    Nerd Glasses
The bespectacled protagonist is thrust into a conspiracy which controls a town for their own nefarious purposes. His evil half-father is in charge of local operations, though he has been "softening" a bit lately due to his mother's influence. After an attack by a heavily armed rival faction leaves everyone else dead, he ends up taking over his half-father's position. While he hates the conspiracy, he decides to feign loyalty while undermining it in secret, ensuring that anyone who suspects what he's up to suffers an "accident". The only person he trusts is his assistant.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 05:21:00 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]