Author Topic: Crossbow Ammo?!?  (Read 2478 times)

TWF

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Crossbow Ammo?!?
« on: October 07, 2011, 02:04:47 AM »
Thanks for taking your time in reading this.

I am going to be playing in a game here soon and I have decided to become a master of the crossbow. We are starting at level 6 and using the WBL, granting me 13K. I will be using a heavy repeating crossbow with the Quick Loading enchantment to help with the reloads. I am in need of ammo to use for the weapon to help make it versitile enough to deal damage to almost everything. Are there variants of special ammo like dragonsbreath arrow, but in bolt fashion? What about alchemal weapon capsules, I have heard of these but are there any for ranged weapons?

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
Re: Crossbow Ammo?!?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:24 AM »
Pretty much all arrows can be redone as bolts and vice versa.

As for enhancements and what kind of arrows to stock up on, that depends on your campaign and what you know you're facing.  With that said, Spell Storing with a friendly caster in the party always works out, and if you use nonlethal bolts (blunt, I forget which book) you can use a healing spell in the spell storing to have long ranged healing to deploy.  I actually played a cleric archer which stocked up and did this.  Other good choices: Bane, DR piercers like adamantine and cold iron, and limited use things like Lucky since it would seem each arrow has a reroll available for you.
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:15:15 AM »
Honestly? I'd say your best bet is to go for the Force enhancement instead. It lets your attacks automatically bypass damage reduction and ignore miss chance against incorporeal creatures. Yeah, you can't damage anything immune to force effects, but how many of those creatures can you name? Force dragons. That's more or less it.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 03:23:45 AM »
Yea, normal arrow + force enhancement is golden.

Or just try and get longbow proficiency and go for an energy bow.
BG's other resident furry!

Grazzt

• Noob
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 11:22:01 AM »
If you can make priest bullets for a sling (libris mortis 73) and flashpellets (Tome and Blood 72) you could adhere them to xbow bolts instead of a pointy tip.  Ask your DM, maybe firestones or liquid ice (dragon mag 280, 51), could make you a Hawkeye (Marvel Comics) or early Green Latern-like character.  The game is about fun and inventiveness, go crazy!! Maybe modular tipped bolts/arrows.  That way you could carry more payloads giving you amazing versatility.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 11:34:02 AM »
Honestly? I'd say your best bet is to go for the Force enhancement instead. It lets your attacks automatically bypass damage reduction and ignore miss chance against incorporeal creatures. Yeah, you can't damage anything immune to force effects, but how many of those creatures can you name? Force dragons. That's more or less it.
Years ago I made a force mage and had the same issue. I looked in every monster book I could find and there were only 2 creatures in all of D&D immune to force. Can't recall the 2nd one but it was pretty obscure and couldn't stand up against non-force spells anyway.

If you have an insane dexterity Crossbow sniper is an ok way to increase your damage, 1/2 dex mod to damage.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

TWF

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 04:03:28 AM »
My plan is to use Crossbow Sniperand boost my dex s high as I can.

Pretty much all arrows can be redone as bolts and vice versa., Now where can I find this so the DM will have it in his notes?

The enchantments I am hoping to get later will include acid and force damage.