Author Topic: Errata Complaints  (Read 3746 times)

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
Errata Complaints
« on: October 07, 2011, 01:23:02 AM »
Please aim all complaints about any errata issued by this project here, and any changes you recommend here.

Do not complain about WotC's ability to errata things here. That's for the BLYHT section.

Keep in mind that we are an unofficial project, and that the errata issued by this project is largely our opinion of how things should be.

Flaming will not be tolerated, even in sarcastic posts.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
Re: Errata Complaints
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:48:56 PM »
In the Tome of Battle errata, the interaction of the Firesnake maneuver's effect and duration remains unclear.  It has an instantaneous duration, but implies that the effect is not over immedietly ("in following rounds...")

I brought this up in the thread there, but it was never addressed.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:40 PM »
In the Tome of Battle errata, the interaction of the Firesnake maneuver's effect and duration remains unclear.  It has an instantaneous duration, but implies that the effect is not over immedietly ("in following rounds...")

I brought this up in the thread there, but it was never addressed.

I will correct it in the next update then.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

oslecamo

• Grape ape
Re: Tome of Battle Errata (Semi-Finalized)
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 09:35:28 AM »
1-Why doesn't Ticket of Blades allow tumble to bypass it? You're basically saying "You cannot pass skillmonkeys. You can still pass allright wizard with teleport". It's not like that many classes have tumble, and it costs precious skill points. At least it should be a check penalty, like Ticket of blades increasing the tumble's DC by 1/2 IL or something like that.

2-Why should dance of the spider be supernatural? It's just climbing very well! Doubly because you let the teleport maneuvers remain Ex.

3-Why does pretty much every tiger claw maneuver gets much lower jump DCs, and Sudden leap, the only one that could be readed to don't care about a running start, gets nerfed into needing a running start to do anything useful?

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: Tome of Battle Errata (Semi-Finalized)
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »
1-Why doesn't Ticket of Blades allow tumble to bypass it? You're basically saying "You cannot pass skillmonkeys. You can still pass allright wizard with teleport". It's not like that many classes have tumble, and it costs precious skill points. At least it should be a check penalty, like Ticket of blades increasing the tumble's DC by 1/2 IL or something like that.

2-Why should dance of the spider be supernatural? It's just climbing very well! Doubly because you let the teleport maneuvers remain Ex.

3-Why does pretty much every tiger claw maneuver gets much lower jump DCs, and Sudden leap, the only one that could be readed to don't care about a running start, gets nerfed into needing a running start to do anything useful?

First of all, I screwed up. I tried to put this in the Complaints thread, and ended up splitting it into it's own topic. My bad.

Secondly:

1: Because the stance would be useless if Tumble could ignore it. This has been discussed prior to us starting this project, and I agree that the stance should ignore the Tumble rules. I wanted to change the text to make it work differently, but that much editing was reserved for serious problems.

2: Probably should have made the Teleport ones Su too.

3: This was discussed in the original thread. The conclusion was that because those maneuvers have the DC set by the target's AC (and not the distance you jump), they weren't subjected to the normal rules for the Jump skill. The Jump skill applies those DC alterations to the Long and High jump uses, not to special maneuvers. Sudden Leap, however, is a normal Jump check that is being performed as a Swift action.

The other reason was that it was far easier to make the Sudden Leap DCs even when standing still. I considered giving it the same treatment, but was convinced otherwise. For the record, the DC for a 5ft step using Sudden Leap is 10. The DC for a 3rd level Warblade to use Claw at the Moon on a basic Kobold? 30.

I feel that Sudden Leap didn't require the same treatment, seeing as it was far easier to make those checks than it was to make the AC-based ones.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2011, 03:16:59 PM »
Why the change from a fixed DC 20 to DC = AC for Death From Above?
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Solo

• Organ Grinder
  • Solo the Sorcelator, at your service
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2011, 03:42:40 PM »
1-Why doesn't Ticket of Blades allow tumble to bypass it? You're basically saying "You cannot pass skillmonkeys. You can still pass allright wizard with teleport".

Pay attention to your grammar, please.

"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down!"

The Legend RPG, which I worked on and encourage you to read.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 05:22:13 PM »
Why the change from a fixed DC 20 to DC = AC for Death From Above?

I overlooked that.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
Page 94 - White Raven Tactics [Addition and Clarification]
You cannot target yourself, despite being your own ally (as doing so results in an infinite penalty to your initiative count). Add "A creature can only be affected by one White Raven Tactics per encounter." to the end of the maneuver's text

This might be a waste of my time, but... this is out of sync with what this manuever is supposed to do.
Even if we ignore the "target yourself" bit (which you can raw and custserve and pretty much ever other source but seriouly ignoring that) "a creature can only be a affected by one white raven tactic per encounter?"
  I'd like to flame about it, honestly, but since you have mod powers i've no choice but to look puzzled and irked at that change. It's one of those things that just seems from out of nowhere. Is that a part of the original errata I missed? Or did you just make that restriction up?
  Are you trying to prevent white raven tag? That in my opinion is something thats supposed to exist, one of those nice things you get to do for playing a member of the white raven school. . . please do fix, or at least explain.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 02:51:53 PM »
Page 94 - White Raven Tactics [Addition and Clarification]
You cannot target yourself, despite being your own ally (as doing so results in an infinite penalty to your initiative count). Add "A creature can only be affected by one White Raven Tactics per encounter." to the end of the maneuver's text

This might be a waste of my time, but... this is out of sync with what this manuever is supposed to do.
Even if we ignore the "target yourself" bit (which you can raw and custserve and pretty much ever other source but seriouly ignoring that) "a creature can only be a affected by one white raven tactic per encounter?"
  I'd like to flame about it, honestly, but since you have mod powers i've no choice but to look puzzled and irked at that change. It's one of those things that just seems from out of nowhere. Is that a part of the original errata I missed? Or did you just make that restriction up?
  Are you trying to prevent white raven tag? That in my opinion is something thats supposed to exist, one of those nice things you get to do for playing a member of the white raven school. . . please do fix, or at least explain.

That was done largely to prevent more Leadership+WBL abuse with the Full Casters. I personally feel that the action economy needs to be more tightly controlled with regards to full casters, and that WRT was contributing a cheap, reusable method of bypassing it. Although with the nerf to the Crown of White Ravens, I probably will remove that line since that got rid of a huge source of the abuse.

Basically, it's a victim of the "Casters can make far better use of this than noncasters can, and casters don't need this kind of a boost" mindset.

[spoiler][/spoiler]