Author Topic: Augury Part I: New Beginnings  (Read 29383 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: Augury Part I: New Beginnings
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2011, 06:51:31 PM »
GROUP 2 --
[spoiler]
Man, you guys rolled terribly.  :)

Kyle, your eyes are having trouble adjusting to the change in lighting across the threshold, so you can't make out many details in particular.

Gilgrim, you don't see anything amiss while you step in and make your affections known to the rough wall.  Thus it comes as quite a surprise when the stone beneath you caves in, tumbling you in a shower of rock, water, and dwarf into a chamber below.

Gilgrim --
[spoiler]Your landing is "cushioned" by something hard and metallic.  You can make a DC 15 tumble check to avoid taking 1d6=2 points of falling damage.

You maneuver away from the shower of water from above, and as your eyes clear you can see what you fell on: a large figure made of metallic scales and wood, lying inert in a heap on the ground.  It seems to be in a couple of pieces.

As you observe it, you also notice that the chamber is starting to fill slowly with water.  You can make a Knowledge: Architecture & Engineering or Dungeoneering check (whichever is better, +2 for dwarfyness) to estimate how long you have before it fills completely.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »
GROUP 1 --
[spoiler]
Willow --
[spoiler]From your vantage point you can see one of the people on the wagon looking around, but she doesn't seem to notice you.  Perhaps she needs to learn to think in three dimensions.[...][/spoiler]

Snowy, you don't notice anything out of the ordinary, besides the overall oddness of the situation.

If anyone would like to make a Search or Survival check to look for signs of other people (such as bandits, etc.) you are welcome to.

Squire Mainor starts to climb back into the wagon, intending to head back into town.  He motions Boon (as the inn's stable boy) to take care of the other horse.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »
Boon
[spoiler]
The young lad silently nods. He casts one last weary look to Snowy then hops off the wagon. Boon lumbers over to the horse. Very quietly he calls out to it, trying to keep the horse calm he pats it on the side and runs his hands through its hair.
handle animal (1d20+2=17)
Boon proceeds to walk the horse along side the wagon, standing off to the side somewhat near his friend Snowy still. [/spoiler]
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2011, 09:46:44 PM »
Snowy
[spoiler]
"Hopefully we're alone out here..." she says with her squeaky voice, as she turns her head back to her big friend. With a smile, she tells him "Well, if we're not, we won't let them have it their way, uh?", suddenly cheerful.
[/spoiler]
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2011, 12:09:27 AM »
Boon
[spoiler]
"Dont worry, the Squire Mainor wont let anything happen." He turns towards Snowy with a smirk on his face.  :smirk "He's much to scared of the Father Breldon hahaha!"  :lol He looks over to Squire Mainor to see if he over heard the comment.[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2011, 12:47:24 AM »
Willow
[spoiler]
Timidly steps out of his hiding place in the tree that Snowy seemed to kind of linger on, but not see him.

"H.h.h.hello..."

[/spoiler]

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2011, 02:42:36 AM »
Kara
[spoiler]"Aha! There's the culprit. Coming back to the scene of the crime, hmm? Not very smart if you ask me." she says crossing her arms.

Kara was well known for jumping to wild conclusions with only a shred of evidence. As she looked at the dwarf who was obviously intimidated by her stature she said, "Scared out of your wits, eh? But don't worry, I'm a fair-minded Halfling. Just tell us how you done it and come along peacefully and I won't have to get rough." [/spoiler]
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2011, 03:55:08 AM »
Boon
[spoiler]
As Boon see's the stranger step out from behind a tree he starts to go for his weapon. He quickly realises that the dwarf boy is not a bandit and stops reaching for it though.
Boon looks at the boy for a moment, then over to Squire Mainor waiting for his word on the situation.[/spoiler]

CrazyBS

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 08, 2011, 05:01:41 AM »
Gilgrim Durgirn
[spoiler]Tumble Check DC-15 (1d20+7=24)

Knowledge Check(Dungeoneering) (1d20+9=23)

Oh crap!  Looking at the walls, Gilgrim tries to climb up them!

"Kole!!  Can you hear me?  I don't know if I can get out of here."  

I've been on the surface way too long if I fall for the same rookie mistake of not watching where my feet walk in a cavern.   I mind as well call myself an elf at this rate!  That scrawny Kall will probably let me drown if I don't yell at him for help.

Gilgrim tries his best to scale the wall, and also wonders if floating up would just be more effiecient.

Climb Check (1d20+2=21)[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
GROUP 1 --
[spoiler]
Squire Mainor also reached for his short sword as the dwarf slid out of the bushes, but relaxed slightly when he saw what sort of creature it was.  He eyes Willow warily.  "Who are you, boy?  What are you doing here?"  He gestures at the body in the wagon.  "Did you see what happened to this man?"
[/spoiler]

GROUP 2 --
[spoiler]
Gilgrim --
[spoiler]You manage to roll with the fall easily and avoid injuring yourself.  The small chamber is filling up pretty quickly, and should be full in about an hour.  Scaling the wall is difficult because everything is slippery, but you manage without too much trouble as there are adequate handholds and bracing points.  You scramble out into the tunnel.

Glancing back down, you see that several pieces of the strange statue are floating on the water, though some are still at the bottom. [/spoiler]

Kyle--
You hear Gilgrim call up to you, and then shortly afterward his head appears and he scrambles out of the hole.  While all this was quite surprising, none was surprising enough to break your concentration on Detect Magic, which shows you that the aura you detected is coming from down the hole.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »
Kyle
[spoiler]I guess you'll have to re-evaluate my divining skills 'cause I knew it! I knew it was a bad idea, I told you that, haven't I? screams the human down the hole where the dwarf had just fallen then as his head appears again, the young wizards holds out his hand towards him, to help him out of the hole.

Once Gilgrim is out, Kyle speaks to him again, worried.

See the hole you just fell in? That's where the magical aura seems to originate. Did you see anything at all that might explain this? Oh, and on a different but not least important note, are you okay? says as he checks the dwarf for visible injuries.

He then peeks through the hole trying to catch a glimpse of what might have originated the magic aura.

Spot roll: 1d20+3=8[/spoiler]
Believe.

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2011, 10:29:51 AM »
Snowy
[spoiler]
Stressed on by the sudden appearance of the brown dwarf, Snowy jumps off the wagon and approaches him swiftly, though at a safe(?) distance. Pointing at the dwarf, she says to the group behind her "I saw him, I saw him! What I just said was just so to intimidate him to come out peacefully!", full of herself.

Switching her attention back the dwarf, with an intimidating tone she says "So? What can you say for your defense? Hmm?", trying to add (false) credibility to her position.

(Calls for a bluff check here, I guess? Bluff check (1d20+14=33))
[/spoiler]
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2011, 12:36:38 PM »
[spoiler]
Timidly looks carefully at each person in turn, avoiding eye contact
My name is Willow, Willow Ufgood. I'm searching the frostline for a horrible, cruel, mean person that killed a lot of my people.

I hid when I heard your wagon, afraid it was him.

Absently looks to a ghostly white owl perched in a nearby tree, then looks over at the body, aghast...
I didn't even see him!
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2011, 02:46:57 PM »
GROUP 2 --
[spoiler]Kyle --
You can't see very well, the hole is not really lit at all.  However, the magical aura is clearly emanating from a roundish object floating on the water.  As you stare at it (Spellcraft check to identify the school) the object rotates with the flow, and you can see that the aura comes from what must be eyes.  It stares back at you. [...]
[/spoiler]

GROUP 1 --
[spoiler]Squire Mainor grunts warily.  "Well come along, then, boy.  We'll let Sir Aundors make up his mind about you -- he's a better man than I."

The wagon trundles on through the woods.  Those of you riding on it have the opportunity to talk for a while, or to examine the body or the stone.  If not, we'll move on to Springley Downs.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2011, 02:57:50 PM »
Boon
[spoiler]
He looks towards the newcomer. "Hi, the names Boon." he reaches out for a handshake with his huge hands. "Whered you come from kid?"[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 05:02:57 PM »
Willow
[spoiler]
Gives a firm shake despite his short stature.
Pleased to meet you. My tribe was from a small beautiful winter glen several weeks travel northwest of here.

What this rock thing?

[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 06:27:15 PM »
Snowy
[spoiler]Sulking a bit, she then looks at Willow, concerned. She calmly says "I'm sorry about back there, I think I went a bit overboard.. I'm like that. I'm Snowy. What's your name?" while shaking her head slowly. She then adds "Oh and yeah, now that you mention it, what's this?", checking the stone briefly.[/spoiler]
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:

CrazyBS

• Email
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 06:29:13 PM »
Gilgrim Durgirn - Dialog to Kyle
[spoiler]
Realizing just how lucky he was, Gilgrim wipes some of the welcome dirt off his forehead.

"Your right Kyle, I was careless.  Perhaps your not completely worthless after all, haha"  Slapping the back of Kyle's back nearly topling him down the rapidily filling hole he laughs hartily. "I don't know what that thing is down there, but there's more of it at the bottom.  You try and figure that out, I'm going to make sure we don't fall into anymore dangerous sink holes."

Gilgrim begins a thorough inspection of the cave around him and searches for anymore unstable ground.

[spoiler]
I take 20 on my search roll which gives me a 31 to search.
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
GROUP 2 --
[spoiler]
Kyle --
Assuming you get some way to see down there (if only there was some 0th-level spell in some book that could create light... dammit!), it's your opinion that with some rope and/or a good swim check, the pieces could be fished out without too much trouble.

Gilgrim --
[spoiler]You take your time searching the mouth of the cave.  You don't find any more weak points -- actually, you're pretty sure the chamber you fell into was actually covered by an ancient wooden trapdoor (and a bunch of mud) which finally broke under your weight. 

You also find a small alcove above the opening.  Carved into the wall above it is a word in a language you can't read, and nestled inside is a spherical, colorless crystal about the size of your fist.  It's made of no material you recognize.[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 06:44:17 PM »
Boon
[spoiler]
"Not sure... " He takes a look over at the rock. But it doesnt really seem like anything special to him. Boon shrugs and starts to scan the forest with his eyes again.
"So how long have you been in these woods? Isnt it dangerous out here? ..... well from what they say in town anyway. Most of the adults warn not to venture out here."
He leans in close to Willow, glancing once over at the Squire Mainor to make sure he's not really paying attention. "Listen, not all the townsfolk are really that friendly. Father Breldon's a good man, and so is Coman. He's the man who took me into his home. But I would be weary about saying certain things to the others of town though. They are easily frieghtened... and quick to make judgements."
Boon straightens back up and pets the horse lightly, casually glancing back over at Squire Mainor, and then turning his attention back to Snowy and Willow.
After a moment of looking at the two in silence, slowly a smile spreads across Boons face. "Im not sure why... but I like this new guy  :smirk. Stick with me 'n Willow and you'll be fine.  :lol" Boons slams Willow on the back afew times while chuckling.((a 'light' pat))