Author Topic: [Pathfinder] Making a Demigod for Final Battle  (Read 3835 times)

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
[Pathfinder] Making a Demigod for Final Battle
« on: October 06, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »
Anyone ever hear of Shagrath? And no, I don't mean the Dimmu Borgir guy. It was a spider god that was created for Arduin, an RP system that came out in the 70's, and was taken off the market for being too close to the original TSR D&D. Basically the guy got sued until he went bankrupt, and TSR was #1 in the monopoly again.

Anyways, I needed a spider god for my Pathfinder game, but it's just going to be about the strength of an avatar. A near fallen god, if you will. I plan on taking the game to epic levels (even though the book doesn't exist, and the core book only gives suggestions as to how it might work), and the current synopsis is that they've been fighting undead, oozes, and spider swarms. All of which have an ancient symbol, talisman, or holy symbol that no one recognizes. Even the religious texts that should explain it are either missing, or the pages have been ripped out. The reason being is that no one wants anyone to know about Shagrath. In Arduin, he was considered the first god of all things evil and chaotic. He actually created evil itself. He was also the creator the (blood) red moon, and disharmony. You can read a bit about him in this blog. http://www.arduin.com/blogtest/?p=120

Well the time has come to fully resurrect him, and I need to build him. His faithful disciple, Selene, will finally be able to bring him back. Just need sacrifices, which the heroes are thwarting. She can be read about here. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:People_S#Selene She seems like pretty good lich material. Unless someone else knows of a way to put your lifeforce into something, and still remain human, and yourself.

As for how to build the guy, I was thinking of making him not so much a monstrous spider, but maybe give him a drider look like Lolth. Take her aspect from the Miniatures Handbook (CR 11), and add levels of cleric to it. I was also thinking cleric/magus/mystic theurge, but that might be a bit much, and not have enough kick to it for BAB. A third option would be go up as one of the four Super Genius Games godling classes. Likely be the Adept Godling. Goes up as a bard in levels for spellcasting, BAB, skill points, and saves. Gets more godly abilities though. I'm not sure if I want to make it so high that it's a CR 30, but that might be how it comes out.
There's no listed rules for NPC wealth that high, nor PC wealth. I'm kind of guessing on that one. Probably goes back to D&D wealth.

Right now the only attack the aspect has is bite. Shagrath doesn't have a favored weapon yet either. I honestly wish I had a copy of the original Arduin books, but they're so ridiculously rare, that the game wouldn't exist if someone hadn't made mention of it online. I don't want to give him a whip like lolth. I also don't want to just give him a reach weapon. That's too cheesy a "just because". Be nicer if it was thematic.

I actually looked up "spider weapon of choice" and got "handheld 'bowel disruptor'" as my answer. It's a gun. I don't think I'll go with that. It causes wracking pain and sometimes unconsiousness. Hmm. I might keep that part of it. It also listed a bandolier of explosives. I have a gunslinger in the group so that could work I suppose.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: [Pathfinder] Making a Demigod for Final Battle
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 07:54:02 PM »
You can actually do this a bit easier than that.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20011118a

If you want to have something bigger, start with a larger base creature such as an Incarnate Maug.  The template doesn't strictly say that you have to be of Humanoid type.  Also, add the Half-Fiend template first.  That way it has the SLAs but no flight.

After that, just pile on Cleric or Oracle levels.

Afterwards, be very careful about whatever divine abilities you give him.  Remember that some of them will really just demolish non-divine creatures outright.  In fact, maybe he should just have Divine Rank 0.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 08:41:35 PM »
I saw demi-god, but I really mean an avatar of a full god, but not greater, and less powerful than a lesser. So demi works. However, it'll be more powerful than the Cas demi-god that's in Heroes of Horror.

Well, for half-fiend I'd take the aspect of the Half-Fiend (Molydeus/Kraken) template for +2 CR and 6 attacks. However, the skill points would be lower than 14+. Not sure how I'd work that out. Maybe 12+. His size would be gargantuan, so the drider template would make him Colossal. Could throw on the young template to drop him down a size, and lower the CR by 1.

Another idea, instead of cleric, maybe a blight druid. Spiders are vermin. Gain a domain (more with the feat Extra Domain), and have vermin empathy. Be better if instead of Summon Nature's Ally, I could summon swarms of various levels. Be like a verminlord from Book of Vile Darkness.

As for a weapon, I think I'd go with a light mace. Make the head in the shape of a spider.

The problem with Divine Rank 0 is it doesn't give you a CR. I found the same problem while doing up Age of Worms. Got a Divine Rank, but what's the CR?

The other advantage of using the aspect of Lolth is the DR 5/epic. With a feat I can make that DR 10/epic. You can't simply add on "epic" DR and not give a CR to it. Maybe +1 by itself? I don't know. And just for fun, I'd add on the Lolth-Touched template for +6 Str/Con and immunity.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 08:45:57 PM »
If you want it a bit smaller, but just as strong, use Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape). It's a handy template.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2011, 08:48:32 PM »
If you want it a bit smaller, but just as strong, use Dungeonbred (Dungeonscape). It's a handy template.
That's hilarious. It's the same CR, yet it get somewhat better.

EDIT: This what I've got so far. It's homebrew so I'm taking some liberties. Like adding the half-fiend template to an outsider.
Aspect of Lolth (CR 11)
-10 HD (-5 CR) (lose bite and SR)
+Lolth-Touch template (+1 CR)
+Drider template (+2 CR) (gain back bite and SR)
+Dungeonbred template (+0 CR)
+Young template (-1 CR)
+Half-Fiend (Molydeus/Kraken variant) template (+2 CR) (no SR, darkvision, or bite, and less skill points for -1 CR)
+Blight Druid 20 (+19 CR)
+BoVD Verminlord ability to Spew Vermin breath weapon (change to every 1d4 rds) (+1 CR)
Total = 30 CR

I'm also going to homebrew a feat based off of the spontaneous casting feats that were in 3.5, but instead of nature's ally or cure light, you can trade a spell for a summon swarm based on the level of the spell.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 09:25:38 PM by kevin_video »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »

The problem with Divine Rank 0 is it doesn't give you a CR. I found the same problem while doing up Age of Worms. Got a Divine Rank, but what's the CR?

The old epic board kinda came together on an LA+6 for DvR zero.
Of course they knew that epic was wack and so were the deities.

LA+5 and similar CR+5 seems about right to me.
This is in terms of a linear non-CO type approach.
It could almost be a 5 level PrC.

Not really competitive with 9th level casters in early epic (but you already know that).

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2011, 09:40:26 PM »

There's no listed rules for NPC wealth that high, nor PC wealth. I'm kind of guessing on that one. Probably goes back to D&D wealth.

Epic has a wealth chart.
What it has to do with deities = idk.

Even demigods dvr1 have that Making portfolio Items thingy.
Breaks the wealth curve but in limited ways.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 09:43:39 PM »

Epic has a wealth chart.
What it has to do with deities = idk.

Even demigods dvr1 have that Making portfolio Items thingy.
Breaks the wealth curve but in limited ways.
Remember that I'm doing Pathfinder, not 3.5 D&D. There is no epic wealth chart.

And it's not a true god anymore. It's a fallen one that has very few worshippers. Think Ares, God of War, in the Justice League series for power. Ridiculously powerful, yes, but Batman and the gang can still give him a beating.

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 09:47:37 PM »
Heh ... right , Pathfinder = my bad.
 ;)