Author Topic: Tome Game  (Read 23756 times)

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
Re: Tome Game
« Reply #100 on: October 21, 2011, 08:47:41 PM »
Re: 1)
Sorry, what do you mean by increases only once? The speed increase is described as increasing all movement modes by 5 per 2 HD. Just not sure if one of the two ways I interpreted it was the right way, or if even both were wrong. Or by only once di you mean that in your game, it only increases one movement mode, as opposed to all modes as it's listed in the BoG list?

Re: 4)
I figured as much. That's why it pays to not introduce rules and feats with loose ends. Also, unlimited out of combat healing for a feat can be kind of ridiculous, though we would have had even more with Nanshork's Siphon around.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 04:15:29 AM by VennDygrem »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #101 on: October 21, 2011, 09:54:49 PM »
1. Apply the item last. After you multiply everything.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: October 21, 2011, 11:10:48 PM »
OK, that's what I though, and how I initially implemented it on my sheet. In that case, besides listing my fiendish traits, I'm pretty much done. :)

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: October 22, 2011, 04:03:50 AM »
Heavily figured as much. That's why it pays to not introduce rules and feats with loose ends. Also, unlimited out of combat healing for a feat can be kind of ridiculous, though we would have had even more with Nanshork's Siphon around.

I'm not worried about the healing. I'm worried about completely depriving things and people of the ability to raise, and knowing the memories of everyone without doing any work.

You can eat souls if you incapacitate people and then kill them while touching them with Thinuam, because if you incapacitated them, you can prevent them from raising and read their minds anyway.

But just saying "and every time I kill anything with Finger of Death, I then also eat it's soul, it can never be raised, and I know everything it ever knew" is silly.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2011, 04:23:09 AM »
Honestly, I'm not as interested in the not-raising part, and though the memories thing takes another feat to get, I'm not interested in that, either. The only part of devouring souls that even stood out was healing up. Even the amount healed seems too high, especially without the context of the intended rules, so I'm not looking to pursue it anyway.

Also, your quote of me really shows that I need to be more careful to check my phone's damn auto-correct.  :shakefist

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 25, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
Added fiendish traits, so I think I'm pretty much set to go.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #106 on: October 25, 2011, 04:49:09 PM »
I should be good to go other than a background. Are we starting in Pandemonium, or are we going to start elsewhere? It could effect the story a bit.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: October 25, 2011, 08:21:39 PM »
Starting in pandemonium, also, I thought your's was the one sheet I didn't have Midnight, could you link it (again).

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #108 on: October 26, 2011, 12:00:10 AM »
Starting in pandemonium, also, I thought your's was the one sheet I didn't have Midnight, could you link it (again).
Actually I"m still working on picking out some items gimme 1 more day, I'll be ready. Thanks.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #109 on: October 26, 2011, 09:49:31 AM »
I think I'm all set. I added a brief background, leaving Dagrar stranded on Pandemonium.

Do we start with any money (or does it even matter)? I just grabbed some mundane items that would be useful and the potions and scrolls.

Updated sheet
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2011, 01:52:10 PM »
Money wouldn't really be useful in the planes, especially this one where most everyone's insane. There's probably some other currency in place.

That does remind me, though, that the one thing I've forgotten was mundane equipment and potions (can't really cast from scrolls, myself, having no UMD ranks)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:58:28 PM by VennDygrem »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2011, 05:25:07 PM »
Money wouldn't really be useful in the planes, especially this one where most everyone's insane. There's probably some other currency in place.
That's what I was guessing, but I wanted to check.

That does remind me, though, that the one thing I've forgotten was mundane equipment and potions (can't really cast from scrolls, myself, having no UMD ranks)
I can only use scrolls from a select list of descriptors ([Air], [Earth], [Electricity], and [Water]). I wasn't sure how many was reasonable to take, so I took a total of five scrolls between Soften Earth and Stone and Stone Shape. I grabbed a handful of CSW potions, Invisibility, and one each of the Remove X spells.

I'm not really sure what I'd need for mundane stuff, so I took what made sense and kept my weight limit down.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2011, 12:32:51 AM »
Race: Human

Class: Barbarian 5/Monk 1

Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Background: Hero of the Peasants

Abilities:
Str: 18 (+2 str item)
Dex: 14
Con:16
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 10

Saves: F:10 R:W: 7
Raging:  F:12 R:10 W: 9
Ftgstyl:  F:14 R:12 W: 11
Rag/Ftg: F:16 R:14 W: 13

Skills: Climb: 13 , Spot: 10 , Listen: 10, Intimidate: 9, Sense motive: 12; Handle Animal: 2

Feats: Blitz, Mageslayer, Whirlwind Attack, Giant Slayer

Items:
  • Speed Greaves: +2 saves
  • Aquatic Chitin Carapace Armor: +2 Ac
  • Ghost Touch Guisarme +2
  • Amulet of Darkvision: +2 Str

Monk Fighting Style: Brutal Dream Step
[spoiler]
  • While Active, your Fighting Style provides a +4 Dodge Bonus to Saving Throws.
  • While Active, your Fighting Style allows you to make an attack of opportunity against any opponent who attacks you. This attack of opportunity must be a trip or disarm attempt. 
[/spoiler]

This is what I have so far... I'm planning on convertining it over to Mythweavers in the morning(I work overnights) hope I'm not slowing you guys down too much.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2011, 01:13:05 AM »
Man, my saves are relatively puny compared to half of you guys. ._.
I'm suffering from saving throw envy!

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2011, 01:52:28 AM »
Money in Pandemonium can be just as useful as on the Prime, if you are in the right place, and why you think they are too insane to use money, but could use other currency is beyond me.

There are parts of Pandemonium that aren't that different from parts of the material plane, in the sense that not everyone there is insane, at least not in non functional ways, just a lot of them.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2011, 04:41:36 AM »
I just meant, what call for gold and silver would there be there? However, I'm not exactly an expert on the plane, so take my words with a grain of salt. As for being too insane for money, that's part of the above; someone who's insane might want, say, human teeth for payment instead of gold coins. Regardless, it was all based on me not being familiar enough with the societal make-up of Pandemonium. Consider it one lesson learned.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #116 on: October 27, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »
Man, my saves are relatively puny compared to half of you guys. ._.
I'm suffering from saving throw envy!
Did you take a save-boosting item?

Money in Pandemonium can be just as useful as on the Prime, if you are in the right place, and why you think they are too insane to use money, but could use other currency is beyond me.
How much material wealth is reasonable to start with? I have relatively little mundane gear.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 27, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
I did take a booster item, but my only good save is Will and my Wis score isn't very high. My main stat is Charisma, and the rest are just average values. There's just not much more I can do.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #118 on: October 27, 2011, 12:37:27 PM »
I did take a booster item, but my only good save is Will and my Wis score isn't very high. My main stat is Charisma, and the rest are just average values. There's just not much more I can do.
Yeah, good point. The three stats I prioritized were Wis (my DCs), Dex (Init, AC, and touch attacks), and Con (obviously), which happen to all be the save boosters. Not only that, I shored up my one bad save with Iron Will, mostly because I didn't have a good idea of what to take for feats. Almost all of this PCs abilities come from the class abilities, and everything else is really just me trying to plug perceived weaknesses.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: October 27, 2011, 02:22:20 PM »
How do you guys want to know/run into each other. I've only seen one backstory, so not sure how best to get you guys started.