Author Topic: Tome Game  (Read 23752 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Tome Game
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2011, 01:23:27 PM »
The Speed items add to all of your movement modes, don't they (including fly speed)? The Darkleaf armor should grant fast healing 1 at level 6. It's only 1 AC lower than mithril. At least, this is what I found on the wiki. The threads at the Den don't have all of the armor stuff filled out.

I was just checking that you weren't using the DMG speed boots. Yeah, you have everything right. The armors were filled in by Sinister in one of his threads, it should grant you 3 abilities, unless you don't have the ranks.
Yeah, sorry. I used the name Boots of Speed because it's iconic, and it didn't occur to me that someone other than me would get confused. So long as you're cool with Mr. Sinister's armor abilities, I'll use Darkleaf.

Other than that, I just need to pick out a handful scrolls/wands/potions (I won't go nuts) and mundane stuff. Is there a price cap of 4,000 gp on the scrolls/wands/potions?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2011, 01:57:45 PM »
The price cap on scrolls/potions is don't have any higher than level 3. The cap on wands is that you actually shouldn't have any unless you are giving up one of your 4 minor items.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2011, 02:10:28 PM »
The price cap on scrolls/potions is don't have any higher than level 3. The cap on wands is that you actually shouldn't have any unless you are giving up one of your 4 minor items.
Fair enough.

Scrolls I'm thinking about are (2 or 3 each):
  • Soften Earth and Stone
  • Stone Shape

And a handful of the following potions (3 CSWs and 1 of the others):
  • CSW
  • Invisibility
  • Remove Blindness/Deafness
  • Remove Curse
  • Remove Disease
  • Remove Paralysis
  • Lesser Restoration
  • Water Breathing
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2011, 02:22:08 PM »
So I've got a few ideas to replace for Dominion's special ability:

1) Static boost to save DCs and/or spell penetration for at least the SLA's of the Dominion sphere (asserting the concept of "the right to control/rule")

2) Immunity to fear effects

3) Immunity, maybe just 1 or 3 times per day if at-will is too powerful, to the effects of SLA's cast from the Dominion sphere by the sphere-user (so they could, say, walk through their own Black Tentacles spell without getting grappled, or not get burned by getting shoved through their own Wall of Fire, or can see through their own obscuring mist.

4) Some arbitrary boost to saves vs. Mind-affecting effects

5) Some other arbitrary boost to saves, similar to getting Iron Will or Great Fortitude or some such thing.

Thoughts? Are these even appropriate to the concept of Dominion?

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
So, for now, let's try total immunity to your own Dominion Sphere sla effects, and we'll see if that needs to be changed.

You can also still make things permanent, if you want, 3/whatever.

PS, I disagree that Dominion as written is terrible and no one ever takes it. It's one of my favorite spheres because like domains, you have to balance the power granted against the spells given, only spheres, spells are way more important, and outside of minion creating spheres, dominion and stone are the only ones that gives you large AoE battlefield control effects. Most Spheres feature only instant attack spells, or spells that might as well be instant (like Resilient Sphere, in that it's actual effect is usually similar to Maze, but you can use it for other things).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2011, 03:14:47 PM »
Hey, I love dominion, it was the first one that jumped out at me. I just think the granted ability isn't very useful to PC's.

The main use of being immune to my own Dominion SLA's is not worrying about getting knocked into them by enemies, since when that happens I'll just point and laugh at them. Then they'll think the spells are illusions and come at me, and I point and laugh again as they screw themselves over. :D
It's really just good times all around.
-----------------
Got my work-in-progress sheet here: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=337801
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 07:05:57 PM by VennDygrem »

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2011, 07:48:19 PM »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2011, 06:37:39 AM »
My life just got more complicated, I'm going to have to withdraw my application for the game.
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2011, 03:39:29 PM »
Sorry to hear that Nanshork, hope things come together for you soon.

Guess that leaves us without an out-of-combat healer, and without a recharge for bears's healing touch. As long as we all pick up a few healing potions, we'll probably be fine. Maybe we'll get bears a wand or staff of Cure X wounds later on, as well.

Kaelik, is that whole list under Wondrous Items up available for minor items? Just wanna check, because I may be interested in the Caster Level boost or Save DC boost. :)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2011, 04:06:07 PM »
Guess that leaves us without an out-of-combat healer, and without a recharge for bears's healing touch. As long as we all pick up a few healing potions, we'll probably be fine. Maybe we'll get bears a wand or staff of Cure X wounds later on, as well.
My darkleaf armor gives me fast healing 1, so I'll be fine out of combat after about four minutes. I nabbed three potions of CSW in case I need something fast. As for wands, they'll suck up one of our four minor items.

Kaelik, is that whole list under Wondrous Items up available for minor items? Just wanna check, because I may be interested in the Caster Level boost or Save DC boost. :)
Kaelik included both of those in his errata as things that get a boost of 1/3 level:

Quote from: Kaelik's errata
Caster Level of abilities with CL, or Character level for abilities that provide an effect based on Character level or Levels in a Class (IE, Firemages do more damage, Rogues do not get more SA.)
All saving throws you cause another creature to make with an Ex, Su, Sp ability or spell.

What I'm not sure of is if CL is capped at character level or not. I didn't see anything, but I could have missed it. Kaelik, can you boost your caster level above your character level with a minor item?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:09:18 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: October 20, 2011, 04:38:42 PM »
Well, that's what I was referring to. I didn't know if those qualified as boosts for a minor item or if they were more medium item type boosts.

As for the CL capping, the description says "(IE, Firemages do more damage, Rogues do not get more SA.)" So that would indicate spells can do more damage since they're based on caster level, and certain class features that specifically do more damage based on character level as opposed to class features that do more damage at higher class levels, such as sneak attack or a core warlock's eldritch blast. Basically, such an item works like an Orange Ioun stone, or the domain abilities of certain cleric domains which add to caster level for certain schools of spells.

However, an orange ioun stone costs 30,000 gp under core rules (though the cleric domains grant the CL boost from 1st level, although only to one school of spells instead of to all). That's why I was questioning it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #91 on: October 20, 2011, 05:02:08 PM »
Well, that's what I was referring to. I didn't know if those qualified as boosts for a minor item or if they were more medium item type boosts.
Ah, my bad. I was thinking you were referring to the list of actual items.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2011, 05:05:01 PM »
If I got Fast Healing that'd be brilliant. My Healing Touch would be full every combat. I'm using Sun Armor though, can't pass up eventual flight speed or Greater Turning on Evil Outsiders in Pandemonium.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
Bears: There's likely to be just as many neutral-aligned creatures there as well, though the majority of creatures ought to just have an alignment of "completely batshit insane"

Robby: Yeah, I was referring to the list under his errata thread that listed what sorts of bonuses are granted by wondrous items. I'm still trying to find the list of minor item special qualities that are mentioned besides the ones listed in the tome PDF (ie: "or to the WBL post by Frank Trollman with sorted abilities.") Just for extra item ideas.
--edit--
Think I found the thread, though I do not yet see sorted abilities. Will have to keep digging.
--edit2--
Found it. Second post down.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 07:33:09 PM by VennDygrem »

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2011, 09:55:15 PM »
"Eleven," Unfortunate Traveler (A work in progress)

Just needs his potions and two feats, then I can get to writing a background.

Question on items: Can you stack two minor enhancements on the same item? Like bane and keen? Or are these supposed to be all separate items?

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:08 PM »
Presumably you are suggesting the concept of combining two items into one which would still consume two item slots.

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: October 20, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »
Presumably you are suggesting the concept of combining two items into one which would still consume two item slots.
This, and it's what I presumed. Cool then, gonna finish up by tonight.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: October 20, 2011, 11:05:33 PM »
Just trying to clear it up before someone assumes you meant just combining two items into one to save on an item slot, which is one of the things the new rules are meant to avoid.

I'm working on my items now as well. It's kind of harder than I thought it would be since the list feels so small in comparison, it can be difficult finding ways to create thematically-linked boosts and special qualities without just having the same equipment as the next character. Then again, they're minor items, and I suppose it makes sense that more commonly-available items would be sort of "mass-produced"

----
Hmm, the "speed" quality says it should grant a +5-ft bonus per 2 HD to all movement modes. Wings of Evil grants a fly speed of twice "normal ground speed" - So, how should this stack? The easy way is to say it boost my land speed, which is then doubled, end of story (ie: land 30/fly 60 becomes land 45/fly 90). Another way is that it boosts my land speed, my fly speed is double my natural land speed unboosted, and then that is improved by the boost (ie: land 30/fly 60 becomes land 45/fly 75). I've currently got it set up for the latter interpretation, because when in doubt I go for the lesser of two options. But I can see it working a number of ways.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 11:27:57 PM by VennDygrem »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »
Were there ever rules set up for soul-consuming, specifically for the Devour the Soul feat? I can only find reference to it there, and no other references to "receptacles or petitioners."

If there are rules for it, I could probably replace Harmless Form with that to provide some extra healing for myself. If not, I'll just keep Harmless Form in case I ever need to look like a dwarf or whatever. :P

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2011, 02:11:22 PM »
1) the item increases speed only once.

2) You can spend two item slots on your sword.

3) Yes, you can increase CL, yes, this makes CL increases easier at lower levels, it is also the only CL increase people get, and enemies can have it too. It's basically impossible that I would have a system that gives CL increases at the same rate as 3.5, so having a total +3 CL, +7 sometimes, and +4 more for some purposes is weird. And no, it isn't capped.

4) You can always just have a lot of Thinanium or whatever it's called, and just eat small chunks of it after killing people while they are touching it. But no, you can't just capture and eat the souls of every enemy.