Author Topic: Tome Game  (Read 23771 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Tome Game
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:42:38 PM »
Actually, stormlord looks pretty fun. I'll try to get something together soon. I need to think about feats.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:56 PM »
I'm interested.  Can I get a link to the latest Tome pdf and possibly some more information about the setting itself?
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »
Kaelik, I have a few of questions:

Is the Stormlord's level 1 Angry Hands attack usable with feats that grant extra attacks (TWF, Rapid Shot), or does it just scale with BAB? It looks like BAB from the wording, but I'm curious.

How does Point Blank shot interact with Angry Hands? The +0 BAB ability is usable with a "ranged weapon", so I'm not sure it even works. The +1 BAB ability works within the first range increment, which I assume is either Close range, or nothing at all because there are no range increments. Would the +6 BAB ability keep it from provoking AoOs?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »
I'm interested.  Can I get a link to the latest Tome pdf and possibly some more information about the setting itself?
I'm not sure about the PDF, but here is the Tome material on the D&D wiki.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 10:47:12 PM »
Kaelik, I have a few of questions:

Is the Stormlord's level 1 Angry Hands attack usable with feats that grant extra attacks (TWF, Rapid Shot), or does it just scale with BAB? It looks like BAB from the wording, but I'm curious.

How does Point Blank shot interact with Angry Hands? The +0 BAB ability is usable with a "ranged weapon", so I'm not sure it even works. The +1 BAB ability works within the first range increment, which I assume is either Close range, or nothing at all because there are no range increments. Would the +6 BAB ability keep it from provoking AoOs?

PBS: As far as I can tell, it does nothing. Any of the things that say ranged weapon won't apply. It doesn't have a range increment, so it's never within the first range increment, and it already doesn't provoke AoOs because it's a Su ability. Which is fine, because I never want my classes to be used with Races of War feats.

TWF: You don't have an off hand weapon, so you can't use TWFing.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 11:31:33 PM »
I found what I was talking about.  Kaelik, are we only using official Tome classes from the wiki or are things from this pdf okay too?
Notes to self

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 04:27:03 AM »
We are using official classes and rules presented in the actual tomes, the primary source of which is on TGD, in a stickied thread.

We are also using my errata, as linked by me.

We are also using any homebrew other class you want to suggest, and I will okay it or not as I see fit.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
Which is fine, because I never want my classes to be used with Races of War feats.
Ah. I will stop looking at those feats, then. It looks like you're using auto-heighten, so I won't need to worry about that, either.

I was starting to lean toward the defensive line of RoW feats like Blind Fight, Lightning Reflexes, and Elusive Target. Would you rather me avoid those with the stormlord?

We are using official classes and rules presented in the actual tomes, the primary source of which is on TGD, in a stickied thread.
Nanshork, here is the thread Kaelik is talking about.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 11:15:04 AM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:18 PM »
Sooo.... its a tome game using tome rules minus the races of war feats/classes?
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
I was starting to lean toward the defensive line of RoW feats like Blind Fight, Lightning Reflexes, and Elusive Target. Would you rather me avoid those with the stormlord?

No, those are fine, I merely mean that when I design my class feature attacks, they are not meant to combine with TWFing/PBshot/ect.

Sooo.... its a tome game using tome rules minus the races of war feats/classes?

No, people can still use Races of War classes and feats, they just can't use things like TWFing with Stormlords/Shadowcasters/Firemages/Snowscapers/ect. Because it doesn't actually work.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2011, 02:26:42 PM »
Okay Gotcha!
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 03:14:51 PM »
I'll have to flesh in some more details and eventually get a Mythweavers sheet, but here's the tentative concept:

A hobgoblin separated from his tribe and raised in the wild, developing mystical abilities:

Race: Hobgoblin

Class: Stormlord 6

Alignment: Neutral?

Background: Raised by Owlbears

Abilities:
Str: 11
Dex: 16 (include +2 racial)
Con: 16 (include +2 racial)
Int: 14
Wis: 18 (include +1 from levels)
Cha: 8

Skills: Balance +8, Concentration +12, Knowledge (Nature) +11, Listen +13, Spellcraft +11, Spot +13, Survival +8

Feats: Danger Sense, Elusive Target, Iron Will

How are you handling starting equipment (both magical and mundane)?

Edit:
Mythweavers sheet
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 03:57:30 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »
Should be any 4 minor items, and whatever else you want that isn't magical, and a not retarded amount of scrolls/potions.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 06:53:39 PM »
I'd like to play either a Shadow Warrior or an Elemental Siphon.  What's your verdict on those Kaelik?
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »
I'm starting to lose interest in the Conduit in general, primarily because I don't care for most of the spheres. I think mainly I'd have to settle on some sort of theme or figure out the character more. I might end up being more interested in one of the more melee-oriented classes, though I might still find what I'm looking for in conduit.

Kaelik

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 08:38:20 PM »
I'd like to play either a Shadow Warrior or an Elemental Siphon.  What's your verdict on those Kaelik?

Shadow Warrior is maybe problematic, does it have full BAB? I think I remember thinking it would be fine except for the part where people get a way to use iterative attacks too. As for the Elemental Siphon, it is of course allowed, because I made it.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 09:29:06 PM »
Should be any 4 minor items, and whatever else you want that isn't magical, and a not retarded amount of scrolls/potions.
Thanks. I'll work on that and a background in the next day or two.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 02:07:02 AM »

Shadow Warrior is maybe problematic, does it have full BAB? I think I remember thinking it would be fine except for the part where people get a way to use iterative attacks too. As for the Elemental Siphon, it is of course allowed, because I made it.

Shadow Warrior does have full BAB, however I have no interest in using iterative attacks in any way.  I do however plan on trying to plop on as many natural attacks as I can, such as getting a bite from Product of Infernal Dalliance.  If that means you'd rather I play an Elemental Siphon, I am fine with that.  I figured it would be okay, I just thought I'd check.  By the way, are you still working on prestige classes for it?  I really like the mechanics.
Notes to self

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 10:12:37 AM »
IIRC, minor items will have one booster (attack rolls, AC, abilities, etc) and one ability (all round vision, speed, etc). What if I wanted a pre-existing item from the DMG that's sufficiently cheap? For example, if I want a Handy Haversack, would it also gain an enhancement bonus to something like other minor items? I was never sure how the Book of Gears rules worked with existing items.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »
I was interested in a Tome game but I'm getting a tone of "my way or go fuck yourself" with a touch of "I make up rules as I go along" from the GM, so add that to the fact that I would rather start at a lower level and you've got a recipe for counting me out.