Author Topic: What is the basic Ghost TK Warrior build?  (Read 5822 times)

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
Re: What is the basic Ghost TK Warrior build?
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:53 PM »
Well I'm starting at level six with 'At least ghost 3'.  So.. I don't really know what to do with this. I kinda want to have as much hit dice as possible...
Ghosts are hard to kill, no matter what your HD are. You just need to be willing to put up with the occasional down-time in the meantime.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »
Yea I kinda wanna not have to worry about that much downtime... and dont undead dissipate at 0?
BG's other resident furry!

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »
Yea I kinda wanna not have to worry about that much downtime... and dont undead dissipate at 0?
Yup. But you're a ghost; you'll just reform in a couple of days.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2011, 11:38:56 PM »
Back *home*.  Maybe not where I need to be!  I want to be able to do stuff to the world without risking dissipation ALL the time...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2011, 11:41:14 PM »
Back *home*.  Maybe not where I need to be!  I want to be able to do stuff to the world without risking dissipation ALL the time...
Planar Bind a nightmare and have it cast Astral Projection?

Or...I dunno...possess something. After all, possession is 9/10 of the law.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 12:12:51 AM »
Go with a Wizard base so you have contigencies so when someone can pass over your over 9000 defenses and dissipate you, you just contigent jump to the negative energy plane and hang out with all the other ghosts and heal.

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 01:54:52 AM »
nice pun. and easy to pick up with a couple of ghostwalk feats and still retain your focus on TK.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 04:07:19 PM »
Yeah, I think that if you START at Ghost 3, you'd probably be better off just going Ghost 4 and possessing things.  When they die, de-manifest.  The only thing that could possibly hurt you then would be Magic Missile, but they can't see you to target you.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I'll kill you before you're born.
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 08:40:09 PM »
Yeah, I think that if you START at Ghost 3, you'd probably be better off just going Ghost 4 and possessing things.  When they die, de-manifest.  The only thing that could possibly hurt you then would be Magic Missile, but they can't see you to target you.
Doesn't Ghostwalk have entire items and class features dedicated to exorcism? Also any book that mentioned fiend possession too?

Plus the entire [Force] line of spells that just bomb the area smacking demanifested ghosts into next Tuesday...

Anyway, wouldn't you become the BBEG of the story leading to dozens of adventurers seeking you out? Hmm, could be interesting.
Tiers explained in 8 sentences. With examples!
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
6: Skill based. Commoner, Expert, Samurai.
5: Mundane warrior. Barbarian, Fighter, Monk.
4: Partial casters. Adapt, Hexblade, Paladin, Ranger, Spelltheif.
3: Focused casters. Bard, Beguiler, Dread Necromancer, Martial Adapts, Warmage.
2: Full casters. Favored Soul, Psion, Sorcerer, Wu Jen.
1: Elitists. Artificer, Cleric, Druid, Wizard.
0: Gods. StP Erudite, Illthid Savant, Pun-Pun, Rocks fall & you die.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 09:30:10 PM »
Plus the entire [Force] line of spells that just bomb the area smacking demanifested ghosts into next Tuesday...
The only one I can think off off-hand that does that at these levels, SorO, is Wings of Flurry, and that's really not that common of a spell.  Magic Missile, Chain Missiles, Orb of Force, and Scourge of Force all require targets, and I can't think of any others that hit an area.  What's more, the only downside to this is that you have to sit out a few in-game days.  It's not that big of a threat.

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 10:23:15 PM »
The only one I can think off off-hand that does that at these levels, SorO, is Wings of Flurry, and that's really not that common of a spell.  Magic Missile, Chain Missiles, Orb of Force, and Scourge of Force all require targets, and I can't think of any others that hit an area.  What's more, the only downside to this is that you have to sit out a few in-game days.  It's not that big of a threat.
This says there are 34 [Force] spells, dunno how accurate or updated it is but out of the five you named one of them is an area effect. I like those odds.

Yeah killing a ghost is damn near impossible, soul capture ghostbuster style is the only feasible means. There is a HUGE advantage there, but don't slip into a relaxed defense thinking your covered. If I knew more about anti-ghost stuff I'd know ways around them but I don't so all I can do is try to prod you guys in that direction.
[spoiler]Tiers break down into who has spellcasting more than anything else due to spells being better than anything else in the game.
[/spoiler]

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »
This says there are 34 [Force] spells, dunno how accurate or updated it is but out of the five you named one of them is an area effect. I like those odds.

Yeah killing a ghost is damn near impossible, soul capture ghostbuster style is the only feasible means. There is a HUGE advantage there, but don't slip into a relaxed defense thinking your covered. If I knew more about anti-ghost stuff I'd know ways around them but I don't so all I can do is try to prod you guys in that direction.
You can always turn them to stone.

[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 10:48:46 PM »
The only one I can think off off-hand that does that at these levels, SorO, is Wings of Flurry, and that's really not that common of a spell.  Magic Missile, Chain Missiles, Orb of Force, and Scourge of Force all require targets, and I can't think of any others that hit an area.  What's more, the only downside to this is that you have to sit out a few in-game days.  It's not that big of a threat.
The other major players are stuff like Manyjaws (targeted), Mage Armor (buff), Greater Mage Armor (again), Shield (blah blah), Wall of Force (no more of a problem for incorporeals than corporeals), Forcecage (ditto), and the Bigby's Hand line (ALL targeted).  So, that's getting close to 20 spells, of which only 1 is a [Force] descriptor AoE blast, and it's not even available to Wizards (or anything else that picks from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list, because it's not on said list), only Sorcerers.  Still like the odds?

EDIT: Here's a complete list of [Force] spells from pretty much every 3.5e splat and a few more books as well.  Wings of Flurry is the only serious offensive threat to an ethereal Ghost.

EDIT2: Here
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 01:24:03 PM by X-Codes »

SorO_Lost

• Man in Gorilla Suit
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2011, 12:35:28 AM »
EDIT: Here's a complete list of [Force] spells from pretty much every 3.5e splat and a few more books as well.  Wings of Flurry is the only serious offensive threat to an ethereal Ghost.
Your link is broken?

Well if anything else I stretched my brain a bit and read the Ghost entry and found another easy to exploit weakness in a Ghost.
Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/ghost.htm
Even a 15th level Swordsage can target and "kill" a demanifested ghost but more importantly
Quote from: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/seeInvisibility.htm
You can see any objects or beings that are invisible within your range of vision, as well as any that are ethereal, as if they were normally visible.
In order to dodge that bullet you need a way to use the Hide skill in a bright empty void. Like some EoA of Darkness carried around by your Ethereal side or something.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2011, 01:24:56 PM »
Or move into a rock and block line of effect.  Amusingly enough, that also completely protects you from Wings of Flurry.

Gavinfoxx

• King Kong
  • *Forkbark* Wauwau!
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2011, 03:20:05 PM »
Sorry, I drew a blank trying to come up with a CHARACTER, so it doesn't matter what crunch I have, I don't see myself doing that game...

nijineko

• King Kong
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton...
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 01:27:36 AM »
hahahah... the core of a ghost character is why they are a ghost, and how that filters into everything they do.

there is merit in both having a condition that can lay them to rest, and having a condition that can no longer be fulfilled.
arukibito ga michi wo erabu no ka, michi ga arukibito wo erabu no deshou ka?
Never game alone again!
KadoKado! Game for gifts!
The Ultimate Dice Rolling Engine