Author Topic: Adjusting the Warmage Spell List  (Read 5828 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Adjusting the Warmage Spell List
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2011, 02:58:47 PM »
Well, I found Scourge of Force by browsing a database.

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »
Well, I found Scourge of Force by browsing a database.

Aha.  You're forgiven then  :D

Andion Isurand

• An Anomaly of The Art
    • MageRune - Andion Isurand's Homebrew Blog
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 03:37:40 AM »
I made a few warmage revisions myself, one of which was to replace Advanced Learning with this...

[spoiler]Spells:

When a warmage gains access to a new level of spells for his class, he automatically knows all spells for that level listed on the warmage's spell list, as well as one evocation spell chosen from the wizard's spell list of that spell level or lower.
etc etc
[/spoiler]

That way the Warmage could gain that benefit even while taking a prestige class.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:42:43 AM by Andion Isurand »

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 03:42:05 AM »
I made a few warmage revisions myself, one of which was to replace Advanced Learning with this...

[spoiler]Spells:

When a warmage gains access to a new level of spells for his class, he automatically knows all spells for that level listed on the warmage's spell list, as well as one evocation spell chosen from the wizard's spell list of that spell level or lower.
[/spoiler]

That way the Warmage could gain that benefit even while taking a prestige class.

That would imply that not every warmage makes a beeline towards Rainbow Servant...
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Kethrian

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 04:05:43 AM »

[spoiler]Spells:

etc etc
[/spoiler]

That's an interesting class ability, but it doesn't let my warmage get spells like Lightning Leap or Necrotic Skull Bomb.  By swapping spells on the list, you can gain a nice assortment of new spells that fit the theme of warmage, even if they aren't evocations.  You just have to be careful to keep the spell list appropriate to the class instead of just making a spontaneous version of the GOD wizard...

That would imply that not every warmage makes a beeline towards Rainbow Servant...

And they should, considering how nice the class is for them.  Even with full casting, it's nowhere near as OP as Incantatrix is for wizards...

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 04:14:51 AM »

[spoiler]Spells:

etc etc
[/spoiler]

That's an interesting class ability, but it doesn't let my warmage get spells like Lightning Leap or Necrotic Skull Bomb.  By swapping spells on the list, you can gain a nice assortment of new spells that fit the theme of warmage, even if they aren't evocations.  You just have to be careful to keep the spell list appropriate to the class instead of just making a spontaneous version of the GOD wizard...

And they should, considering how nice the class is for them.  Even with full casting, it's nowhere near as OP as Incantatrix is for wizards...

That would depend on whether you consider spontaneous access to the entire cleric spell list to be less powerful than some free metamagic.

Kethrian

« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 04:51:56 AM »
That would depend on whether you consider spontaneous access to the entire cleric spell list to be less powerful than some free metamagic.

I would, considering how powerful metamagic gets when you basically remove the limiter of level adjustments.  But that's just my opinion.

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »

I would, considering how powerful metamagic gets when you basically remove the limiter of level adjustments.  But that's just my opinion.

I can't say I agree... I'd have to say access to literally a thousand useful spells at any moment is a better deal than having one crazy, feat-heavy shtick.
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »

I can't say I agree... I'd have to say access to literally a thousand useful spells at any moment is a better deal than having one crazy, feat-heavy shtick.
This is why I like Rainbow Servant as a 6/10 class.

Kethrian

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2011, 10:47:29 PM »
Well, after more spell perusal, I've come to the conclusion that Vitriolic Sphere is a decent spell, if you use the Complete Arcane version.  The SC version would only be worth considering if it were a 3rd level spell.  Now I just gotta figure out which 5th level spell to replace...