Author Topic: Anyone want to run an All-Wizard game?  (Read 21656 times)

Mixster

• Grape ape
Re: Anyone want to run an All-Wizard game?
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2011, 06:53:36 PM »
From our discussion earlier Master ST isn't a doubler. You will get to add your effective caster level from ST to each of your other classes. So unless you have a way to jack that one up before adding it to your base class that qualified for KotW it won't have a huge impact.

Bah, okay, then I'm keeping to the original plan of Force Weaver, Force Missile Mage and War Mage.

By the way, at the beginning I can do tanky business. Atm, I'm looking at an AC of 23, and I can still buff with Mage armor to 27. Next level I'll skip that mage armor for a Mithral Twilight Breastplate. So I can go to AC 29. However, as AC soon becomes meaningless I'll also pick up improved blink and greater mirror image sooner or later. Basically this build is about surviving while dishing out loads of magic missiles.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
And with some well placed debuffs, I'll make sure they'll have a hard time hitting a barn from the start  :D
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2011, 07:00:23 PM »
Which they'll never see coming from behind my illusions.

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2011, 07:04:25 PM »
I'm mostly going to be debuff (read as dispelling, & countering), though I did pick up targeting ray to help the party out as well as baleful transposition to hopefully put them where they don't want to be, like their caster next to our summoned critter and their tank now in the back trying to get back in front.  :lol

I have extend spell and persistant spell but can't toss them on your spells until next level. Though I already have a +26 spellcraft so I can actually make some of those DCs. Hey magic item man you got something to help my spellcraft its a bit low?  ;)

PS I still need gear (money and an answer to the Oty. Hole question), languages, and prepared spells.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 07:07:42 PM by archangel.arcanis »
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Mixster

• Grape ape
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:09 PM »
I'm mostly going to be debuff (read as dispelling, & countering), though I did pick up targeting ray to help the party out as well as baleful transposition to hopefully put them where they don't want to be, like their caster next to our summoned critter and their tank now in the back trying to get back in front.  :lol

I have extend spell and persistant spell but can't toss them on your spells until next level. Though I already have a +26 spellcraft so I can actually make some of those DCs. Hey magic item man you got something to help my spellcraft its a bit low?  ;)

PS I still need gear (money and an answer to the Oty. Hole question), languages, and prepared spells.

So I could take shield and have it persisted? That would be what, DC 39 so possible with a few retries or aid another from my familiar and me?

By the way, is anyone else taking mage armour? I don't want to put a slot there if I can get it for a pearl of power.
Monks are pretty much the best designed class ever.

JaronK

Meep Meep - Mixster out

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 04, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »

So I could take shield and have it persisted? That would be what, DC 39 so possible with a few retries or aid another from my familiar and me?

By the way, is anyone else taking mage armour? I don't want to put a slot there if I can get it for a pearl of power.
Yes you could, but it will be next level as I don't have that ability yet. I'll also have mage armor, but as a cleric domain spell so it won't last terribly long.

Question on that too guys. For the Incantrix abilities that allow you to apply metamagics with a spellcraft check, is the use expended if the check fails? neither says anything on a failed check.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: October 04, 2011, 07:46:56 PM »
Lots of things!  Bah this 2.5 hour commute.

Otyugh hole = 3k off your WBL.

I'm a conjurer so of course I'll have mage armor.

I actually have no idea how many players we have at this point, but we'll have a game thread very soon to collate everything.

Does anyone have any suggestions for feats for my Malconvoker?  I've never played one before, and have gotten mixed reviews on Cloudy Conjuration.  I'm planning to take Demon Mastery at 9... but I'm not sure what else.  Here is the sheet, for a reminder.

Any other questions?  dna1 and I are still figuring out how to deal with spellbook entries.

EDIT: Re: incantatrix, I think the use is not expended if the check fails, because you didn't do it.  But dna1 should confirm that.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: October 04, 2011, 07:52:53 PM »
ok good to know.

For feats. Don't worry about extend as you get a class feature for it and I'll be able to toss it on for you. Any summon boosters you can get to apply would be good. Summon Elemental for a trap springer. And TM's Guide

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:06 PM »
ok good to know.

For feats. Don't worry about extend as you get a class feature for it and I'll be able to toss it on for you. Any summon boosters you can get to apply would be good. Summon Elemental for a trap springer. And TM's Guide

I can't get Summon Elemental for 2 levels, I'm only a 5th-level caster :/  And imbued summoning is not worth it, so I'm mostly tapped out on feats to boost my summons.

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: October 04, 2011, 08:13:14 PM »
Any other questions?  dna1 and I are still figuring out how to deal with spellbook entries.
There are a few things I've been working on. First, I know my character's theme, but not much about his build. I decided to start building his background, and worked on his history with magic. He's not a sorcerer, but rather a focused wizard, so he probably went to an academy. Then I remembered these feats, and decided that he not only went to wizard school, but got a friggin higher education in magic. These are from dragon, and while all good, aren't really too powerful.
Nexus Method
Silent Method
Sagacious Method
Arcane Shorthand

I'm interested in taking probably two, both because they're awesome and to represent his extended time learning about magic (but not, ironically enough, learning spells). He's probably going to take Magic Sensitive from complete mage at some point; yes, I'm giving divination half a fuck.

This character is surprisingly harder to build than usual...
Only this, and faerie mysteries initiate (int to hp ritual, of course), and are we keeping or waiving racial prc requirements for things like shdowcraft mage? Cause I'll play a gnome if I have to.

On a similar note, I find plenty of +cha templates, and no magic-int boosting without hellish LA and a bunch of stuff I don't need. Anyone know of any good stuff for int casters, or is that intentional?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:56:37 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2011, 02:17:29 AM »
Hey friends! The time is nearme or SirPercival Medium Optimization.
[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 02:23:09 AM by dna1 »
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2011, 02:34:08 AM »
Wow, holy shit and thank you! Does that count for templates? Cause if so, I'm thinking Magic-Blooded Unseelie, even though I really don't need the charisma boost or half the special abilities (I'm not gonna lie, the best parts of that are the skills and the winter chill; see below). I'm already a Gray Elf, and my pic is based on Sandman, so I could go with some darkness.
[spoiler]Magic-Blooded Unseelie
-2 Str, +2 Dex, -2 Con, -2 Wis, +4 Cha (+0 LA)
Low-Light Vision
+4 racial Intimidate, +2 racial Spellcraft/Know (Arcana)
1/day Detect Magic, Nystul's Magic Aura, Nystul's Undetectable Aura, Read Magic
Winter Chill: Enemies within 5 ft suffer penalty to saves equal to character's charisma bonus.
HD scaling DR/cold iron, Iron Vulnerability (1 damage from touch, +1d6 damage from attacks, DR blocks)[/spoiler]
If we do go for the +1 LA free, I wont go that, but I'd wonder if the Boccob god-touched template works.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 03:41:09 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

PipTheBlue

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2011, 08:42:48 AM »
My favorite unseen seer is to use swordsage and assassin's stance for the sneak attack and other shadow hand fun.  Earth dreamer and Dream dwarf also combine well with that stuff.
I'm looking into this, but I don't see how you can get the necessary ranks in spot and search, as they're both not on the swordsage nor on the wizard list.

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »

I could craft you an item with Wieldskill.

Mhh... Something like that would cost me... 2000 to make, I think.
Believe.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »
If we can have LA buyoff or a free LA +1, can I play a Greensnake Naga?? :D

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Monotremeancer

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2011, 12:02:03 PM »
If we can have LA buyoff or a free LA +1, can I play a Greensnake Naga?? :D
And if so, may I start at level 6?
Who cares for realism when you can be awesome?

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2011, 12:37:14 PM »
Is anyone using any ranged attacks as we start out? I'm working on my gear and prepared spells and am wondering if I should have targeting ray prepared or just lesser sound orb so I can deal damage if needed.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2011, 12:38:40 PM »
Some of my summons may have ranged attacks... but you don't need to do TOO much for them, they should be fine on their own.  :)

EDIT: Is Mythweavers working for anyone else??  Also, I'll be mostly AFK until Thurs afternoon/evening...
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:40:16 PM by sirpercival »

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: October 05, 2011, 12:46:06 PM »

I have extend spell and persistant spell but can't toss them on your spells until next level. Though I already have a +26 spellcraft so I can actually make some of those DCs. Hey magic item man you got something to help my spellcraft its a bit low?  ;)

I'll take it!

edit: eye slots seems most appropriate. Maybe something like glasses of spellcraft  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:48:41 PM by archangel.arcanis »

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: October 05, 2011, 01:14:07 PM »

I have extend spell and persistant spell but can't toss them on your spells until next level. Though I already have a +26 spellcraft so I can actually make some of those DCs. Hey magic item man you got something to help my spellcraft its a bit low?  ;)

I'll take it!

edit: eye slots seems most appropriate. Maybe something like glasses of spellcraft  ;)

I'll get to work to see the how much I'm going to pay for it. It should be about 2000 gp, anyway.
Believe.