Author Topic: Main Thread  (Read 5426 times)

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Have faith in the gods and in your friends.
    • The Dream-maker's Haven
Re: Main Thread
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 02:49:51 PM »
Marian places a hand lightly--almost gingerly--on his shoulder for a moment.

"You must understand," she says in a low voice.  "Not only does the University have rules, but those rules must be very strictly followed in this program.  The Wilds are an extremely dangerous place; I am not going to sugarcoat that fact.  Nor will I ever sugarcoat anything.  If something is dangerous, I will tell you."

She takes a deep breath, once again shoving the glasses back up her nose.

"No procedure is ever without risk.  There are certainly some risks associated with this one, but if you follow the instructions of myself and the other professors, the likelihood of harm is minuscule.  This is not an experimental procedure; every member of my staff has had the implantation done.  What would be far more dangerous would be to enter the Wilds without them."

She clears her throat, but stands oddly still as she continues to speak.  "The Wilds are vast and they are frightening.  There is a reason many people do not return from within their borders.  When you are deemed ready to enter them, it will only be after rigorous and difficult training.  Yes, there will be times that you will feel exhausted.  There will be times when you feel that what we ask of you is impossible.  But the Wilds are a harsher taskmistress than ever I, or Professor Blenckson, or any of the other Professors could ever be.  And when you stand within their borders, gazing out across that changing landscape, you will thank me--you will thank us for every time we have asked you to work just a little bit harder, for every moment we have pushed you beyond what you believed to be your endurance."

She pauses again, and an unnatural hush seems to descend across the hall.  "Please," Marian says.  "I believe that all of you have something of great value to offer."  She puts a hand against her temple, as if attempting to ward off a bad headache, then winces.

"If you'll excuse me," she says softly.  "I--I must go.  Alexander, you take over."

She walks from the room, her hand still pressed against her temple.  Her walk is slow and careful as she almost picks her way from place to place.  She looks suddenly ten years older, and the ramrod straight posture has melted to the curved back and stride of an old woman.
"You think you're the puppet-master, but I can see the strings."

Grahm Zero

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • I don't shine if you don't shine.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 05:38:16 PM »
[Resist intimidation (Like I was supposed to even be able to) Failed]

Grahm considered briefly rebutting this professor's countless logical holes- his conception that a place of higher learning was a place to be talked at and not with, his conception that punishment by means of labour was degrading - Getting one's hands dirty was an exciting task, and many other things.  However, midway through the mad professor's rant, Grahm's mind simply goes blank.  Something about this man is unsettling.  It almost reminds him of his father.  As Grahm sits there, letting the man's words pass by him like so many thrown daggers, the ghost of a smile disappears from his lips momentarily and rather than invigorated by the challenge, he seems to look bored or depressed. 

Blencson's tirade had it's effect in that Grahm no longer feels the need to talk, nor to challenge this backwards man, not for now at least.

Peeling apples with a blade that can destroy mountains.  That kind of twisted life awaits us.

Smythe_R

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 06:25:11 PM »
Smythe's eyes widen at the appearance of Professor Blenckson's spectral hand. Though it was only fleetingly visible, he is certain it was there, and even more certain he had seen such a thing before. Smythe searches his memory for any further scrap of information that would crystallize his recognition. [Knowledge (Arcana) check: 17+6 = 23]

The last two minutes of the assembly has cost Zero several status points in Smythe's eyes. To challenge authority was one thing. But to buckle...?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 08:42:19 PM »
I nod with a look that clearly suggests I intend to convey enthusiasm and respect, but equally obviously shows that I'm actually rather surprised at the sharpness of the rebuke, and a bit confused about this medical procedure - something I'd never given any thought to. Still, intimidated by proxy, I say nothing.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Falconsgyre

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »
Dain's eyes narrow as the spectral hand appears at Blenckson's side and a calculating look appears on his face. He seems to more or less ignore Blenckson's warning and Marian's attempt to mollify the speech. Risk was a word that held less meaning for him than result.

DonQuixote

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 11:53:34 AM »
[Knowledge (Arcana) of 20 or better gets you:]
[spoiler]The hand seemed too simple to be the result of any serious magic.  It simply appeared, then disappeared, in less time than it would take to swing a sword.  This seems to be some sort of simple magical attack, rather than a true spell.[/spoiler]

Blenckson seems both irritated and perturbed by Marian's departure.  Sighing, he turns back to the assembly.

"As Marian said, the Wilds are dangerous.  While the procedure will allow you to tap into new sources of power, simply having power is not enough.  After the operation--which Professor Raven will describe in more detail after she arrives--you will begin to hone your new abilities in carefully monitored study.  The professor with whom you train will be dependent upon the nature of your talents, not on any personal likes or dislikes."  His gaze rests on Grahm for a half second, then resumes sweeping the room.  "Do not think that we are simply giving you some free ticket to power--the capsules come with a great amount of commitment and responsibility.  Anyone seeking to avoid these responsibilities or misuse our...gifts will be brought to account.  Swiftly and, if need be, mercilessly."