Author Topic: Out of Character Thread  (Read 3760 times)

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Have faith in the gods and in your friends.
    • The Dream-maker's Haven
Out of Character Thread
« on: October 02, 2011, 05:46:38 PM »
This thread is for all out of character discussion.  Feel free to introduce yourselves, talk about anything that isn't game-relevant or whatever.    :)
"You think you're the puppet-master, but I can see the strings."

DonQuixote

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
Re: Out of Character Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 05:46:36 AM »
I should probably write out Professor Surlypants' character sheet at some point soon.   -_-'

Probably should finish these papers first...!   :banghead

LordMG

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:14:23 PM »
Are we all posting in the third person, like we're writing a story? This is Rhiannan btw.

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 04:18:58 PM »
You can either do that, or you can write in first person.  As in, "I stand up.  I'm an elf with blond hair and green eyes.  I say, "Hello!"".  Etc.  Whatever you feel more comfortable with, honestly.  I have to write in third person because I'm the DM, and Michael...has his reasons.  =3  Also hi and welcome Nannan! 

DonQuixote

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 06:05:01 AM »
Wait, ARE there elves in the party?   :shakefist

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »
I don't remember!  STOP BEING SO DISCRIMINATIVE ALEXANDER AND GET BACK TO WELCOMING THE STUDENTS! :P

DonQuixote

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
Hey, woah.  Alexander has no problem with elves.

This is entirely me hating elves.  There's a reason that I'm systematically eradicating them in pretty much any future campaign that I run.  And that reason is that they cause cancer.

LordMG

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »
LOL So you have no problem with cancer, then?

On another note, I am working on how to introduce myself. It will happen. I promise. My mind just happens to go blank for no apparent reason every time I consider it.

BTW how likely is it, in this world, that my character would actually be a Lord somebody-or-other?

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:27 AM »
I need to actually work out a starting post, but it will happen! Things are a bit tricky with the Internet access at the moment, but I hope to have it sorted out soon. Incidentally, another thing about elves? They're all Nazis. Blonde, blue-eyed superpeople? I think we all know what that's about.

This is Jason, by the way.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 12:08:13 PM »
Jason.  I never would have guessed.  Also, Nannan, if you want to be a lord, go ahead.  It is steam-punk-Britain-ish, so lords are reasonably abundant.

Grahm Zero

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • I don't shine if you don't shine.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 12:21:51 PM »
Speaking of rolls, how are we doing that?
Peeling apples with a blade that can destroy mountains.  That kind of twisted life awaits us.

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 02:35:35 PM »
That's exactly what I was about to address here!  Normally people link to an online thingy to prove they rolled what they said they did.  Honestly, though, since I know everybody who's playing, I think that's probably unnecessary.  So I'm thinking of opening a new thread just for the dice rollering.

DonQuixote

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 07:20:50 AM »
I'm not sure that a die-rolling thread is strictly necessary.  I mean, given that we seem to have already adopted an official "out-of-character" signifier, I don't see a real problem with the following:

Quote from: Example
Professor Blenckson sniffs deeply, catching the fresh scent of students hanging in the air.

[I'm going to make a Survival check to track down the students.  With a roll of 11, I get a 20.]

Grinning to himself, the professor follows the smell of fear and misapplied philosophy to an empty classroom.  Inside, he finds Grahm and the others, who look up from their youthful entertainments with a sudden fear.

"Ah, class," Blenckson purrs.  "It seems you forgot to inform me that we were changing classrooms for today.  What a delightfully enlightening experience this has been.  I'd love to hear how the experience has affected you.  In seven to ten pages, single-spaced."

We can always switch from brackets to something else, but--if you're trusting people to roll their own--I really think that another thread is unnecessary.

Second Thought: Of course, for the purpose of making saving throws and such, you could have us "bank" rolls ahead of time.  Basically, we'd have a "floating" roll that would be used the next time everyone needed to make a roll against a number known only by the DM, which you could reference without taking up time.  I'll explain it more clearly tomorrow.

Third Thought: Since you're a moderator on this board, are you capable of editing people's posts?  If so, this solves the "only the DM knows DCs and monster stats" problem, as you could theoretically edit players' posts to let them know if they succeeded or failed.  Hell, we could even do something like the following:

Quote from: Example
Professor Blenckson sniffs deeply, catching the fresh scent of students hanging in the air.

[I'm going to make a Survival check to track down the students.  With a roll of 11, I get a 20.]

On a success: Grinning to himself, the professor follows the smell of fear and misapplied philosophy to an empty classroom.  Inside, he finds Grahm and the others, who look up from their youthful entertainments with a sudden fear.

"Ah, class," Blenckson purrs.  "It seems you forgot to inform me that we were changing classrooms for today.  What a delightfully enlightening experience this has been.  I'd love to hear how the experience has affected you.  In seven to ten pages, single-spaced."

On a failure: Though he is able to follow the students' scent to the dining area, Blenckson loses the trail among the various smells--both savory and pungent--surrounding that dubious institution.  Cursing to himself, he stomps back to his office, where he continues plotting the eventual downfall of fun and entertainment.

As the DM, you know that a 20 on my Survival check is sufficient to track three or more Medium creatures across hard ground.  Therefore, you'd edit my post by removing the "On a success:" tag and deleting the entire "On a failure:" section, causing the post to look like my first example.  Neat, huh?

Granted, I'm not actually sure if you can do that.  Also, it might be too complicated.

(And, yes, this theoretical version of Alexander Blenckson took the Track feat for the exclusive purpose of finding students that attempted to ditch class.)

Grahm Zero

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 12:02:46 PM »
Powers of darkness, Make my two cents known! ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUelB-OSneY )

While I think that just including your roll in your post is a good idea, I feel like our post should *end* in the roll rather than keep going.  This allows other players to input, for example the ambitious vice principal might roll to assist you so that he can make friends with you, or another character might directly attempt to interfere by doing something like inviting you to drink a harmless cup of coffee instead of searching.

What my point is, is that PbP is very strange in how actions interract.  I know that you were talking about the temporal flow and I had the same conversation with Smythe.  Having done PbP games for almost 2 years now, I'd like to just let my voice be heard.  It saves a lot of work (that is wasted at the end) to just end your post with the check you want to make (though if you plan to make subsequent checks, you may.  ex: I roll a 19 on survival, if I find my class I rolled a 23 on intimidate) In that way, during the next DM post, which should allow enough time for people to react to you walking off, Mertiya might post

"""
Blenckson shruggs off the offer of a delicious hot beverage that was made by Shino, and pursues his class like a bloodhound after a fox.  When he finally arrives at the door to the room in which they have holed themselves up in,  He opens the doors in a grand style, his mere presence seems to terrify the children.
"""

So that you could then post your rant that Blenckson has no doubt had in his trolladex for several years, waiting for this opportunity.

This is just my opinion, I've done PbP for a while and expressing what you want to do in shorter temporal chunks seems to be the easiest.  It also makes it such that you don't lose a large chunk of writing every time you come to a crossroads.  DM posts are usually used to end a 'Turn' and resolves all skill checks made in the prior turn and Repaints the scene according to those checks.
Peeling apples with a blade that can destroy mountains.  That kind of twisted life awaits us.

DonQuixote

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 12:40:05 PM »
Fair enough.  I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, and I bow to your superior knowledge.

Mertiya

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2011, 02:41:20 PM »
All right!  These are both good ideas, and I think Lukun is right.  End with an OOC (out of character) [I got a such and such on this roll, or I make a such-and-such check and I got a so-and-so.]  I'm going to do this on the honor system, because I think you guys can probably handle it, and if you start fudging your rolls you're just ruining your own fun anyways.  So. 

jupi

• Monkey bussiness
  • I for one welcome our new steam-powered overlords
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2011, 03:28:55 PM »
I don't have any dice. Any chance anybody can link me to those aforementioned websites?

Smythe_R

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 03:39:21 PM »
Here's one: http://www.roll-dice-online.com/
If you don't like its interface, google for the hundreds of others...

Grahm Zero

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 04:55:55 PM »
I had to edit my most recent post just now, I was sending an incorrect vibe.  It still sounds a little clumsy maybe...

jupi

• Monkey bussiness
  • I for one welcome our new steam-powered overlords
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 05:07:18 PM »
Thank you!

It's a moot point, though, because I just realized I've yet to generate a character sheet. I'm going to stalk you next Monday, Michael. In the meantime, I'll just have to avoid situations in which I roll checks.