Author Topic: Beguiler vs. Nightshade  (Read 2048 times)

Tenebrus

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Beguiler vs. Nightshade
« on: October 02, 2011, 12:59:54 AM »
How can a Beguiler be useful in a fight with a Nightwalker?  I am happy to drop an item so that she doesn't have to watch the fight but the spell still has to be on her list, and there ain't much to work with there.  I suppose I could also drop in a Use Magic Device gauntlet or something as well but would prefer not to.  I await the suggestions of the geniuses among us.  Thanks.

weenog

• Grape ape
Re: Beguiler vs. Nightshade
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 02:39:53 AM »
Handing around mind blanks will stop the confusion and evil gaze effects.  Freedom of movement will also help with the gaze, its hold monster ability, and make that +34 grapple modifier look a lot less threatening.  Greater dispel magic may help to bring down some of its ongoing effects, but with that caster level, don't count on it.  Everyone enjoys haste.  Everyone fighting a sighted opponent enjoys displacement.  The nightwalker's see invisibility at will is nice, but it can't see through obscuring mist or a fog cloud, and if it doesn't already have that buff up (or if that buff has been dispelled), invisibility and its derivatives will cost it an action if it wants to see the beneficiaries.  As high as the nightwalker's Spellcraft modifier is, don't expect to fool it with illusions of conjurations, but absolutely use them to distract summoned (and stupid) shadows or greater shadows... even dread wraiths, while not idiots, can't identify a spell being cast.

There may be other options, depending on what advanced learning was picked, equipment owned, and how the fight goes.  Basically play buffer for the party and try to waste or undo the nightwalker's actions as much as possible.  If the beguiler is redundant with another party member for this, that's fine.  Either B takes some pressure off the ally so they can do other things, or they get their party boosted in half the time.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 11:18:24 PM »
Many thanks!

StreamOfTheSky

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 03:24:49 AM »
Invest in a Runestaff.  UMD DC 20 to use it for spells not on your list, and you have plenty of slots to burn on them.

Tenebrus

• Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
No time for gear to replace skills, spells or talents, and I generally disapprove of the Swiss Army PC, unless we all want to sing an epic song about how their equipment defeated the big bad enemy and saved the kingdom with their excessive money.  Not to say that SoS' suggestion was not a good idea, just that it doesn't fit here.  Thanks, tho.