Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 132111 times)

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #620 on: October 29, 2011, 08:26:04 AM »
Q 204 Since Fire Seeds does have a random variable in it (damage), can it be applied to the number of holly berry bombs it creates?  While that is not a random amount, it is still a variable one, and the feat does say that all variable numeric effects are increased by one-half.  The only mention of random is for whether the feat can be applied to the spell.  Or is there errata I haven't seen?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #621 on: October 29, 2011, 10:36:00 AM »
Q205 So how does Phaerimm Hatchling spellcasting work, exactly?  I can see two readings of it: a) that they cast as sorcs of their character level (essentially free gestalt), or b) that they cast as a first-level sorc with a CL equal to their character level.  Which is correct?  And therefore, what kind of spellcasting does a Phaerimm hatchling Sorc 3 have (for example)?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #622 on: October 29, 2011, 11:53:33 AM »
Q46 How exactly does Magic Jar work? Has anybody ever made a breakdown, as surreal did for the polymorph line of spells? Specifically, I have a few starting questions:
  • What is your creature type when you occupy a body?
  • Do buffs stay with your body or your soul?
  • Can you, or can you not occupy bodies of life forces powered by negative energy?

bump
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

Aharon

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #623 on: October 29, 2011, 12:10:21 PM »
Q 192: A Half-Fiend with 7 or more HD gets Poison as a Spell-like ability.  What happens when you apply the Mortal Bane feat to poison?

A conservative estimate would make me think it should be treated like sneak attack applied to an enervation attack: the sneak attack deals "negative energy" hit point damage (much like being struck with an inflict spell.)  Not saying the mortal bane damage should be 'negative energy;' just that it should be something else, not extra Con damage.

A192: Good catch. It should be something else, but RAW, it is extra Con damage.
By clicking this link, you open a pop-up, but I get a eurocent for my current wish, the 5th book of the Wheel of Time series. Please note that this only works if you leave the pop-up opened till it has finished loading. Thank you!

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #624 on: October 29, 2011, 03:07:39 PM »
Q 206: The magic items Talismans from Oriental Adventures...  There's not a whole lot of rules concerning what spells are able to be imbued into one (unlike potions, which specify personal range spells are a no-no).  Otherwise, the two magical items seem fairly identical (the pricing structure is the same, max spell level you can put in one is 3rd.)  But the Talismans in OA list an item of expeditious retreat, which is a personal range spell.

So does that mean I'm good to go on making a Talisman of Shield? Or a Talisman of True Strike?  Or Hunter's Mercy?*

*It does state that Talismans are almost always defensive in nature, and offensive ones are all but unheard of, but then on the chart lists one that grants Haste...

Q 207: Why is a potion of Enlarge Person 250 gp, when the pricing structure for potions says it should be 50 gp?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 03:15:53 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #625 on: October 29, 2011, 03:20:23 PM »
Q 207: Why is a potion of Enlarge Person 250 gp, when the pricing structure for potions says it should be 50 gp?
That's a holdover from 3.0. It should be 50, but someone was feeling 3.0-y and nobody else noticed.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #626 on: October 29, 2011, 03:49:30 PM »
Q208 What are the best weapon enhancements to put on a staff wielded by a mage, who never wants to get into melee combat?  Obviously they're going to be defensive enchantments...

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

brujon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #627 on: October 29, 2011, 04:41:03 PM »
Q208 What are the best weapon enhancements to put on a staff wielded by a mage, who never wants to get into melee combat?  Obviously they're going to be defensive enchantments...

Warning/Eager for more initiative so you win rocket tag.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #628 on: October 29, 2011, 04:48:53 PM »
Do those stack with the wand of nerveskitter I'm keeping in a wand chamber?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #629 on: October 29, 2011, 05:33:40 PM »
Do those stack with the wand of nerveskitter I'm keeping in a wand chamber?

Eager is a +2 untyped bonus.
Warning is a +5 insight bonus.
Nerveskitter is a +5 untyped bonus.

So yes, they'd all stack.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #630 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »
That's scary! +4 from an item that gives you Imp Initiative ;) for +16+ sex

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #631 on: October 29, 2011, 06:58:33 PM »
Q205 So how does Phaerimm Hatchling spellcasting work, exactly?  I can see two readings of it: a) that they cast as sorcs of their character level (essentially free gestalt), or b) that they cast as a first-level sorc with a CL equal to their character level.  Which is correct?  And therefore, what kind of spellcasting does a Phaerimm hatchling Sorc 3 have (for example)?
A205: It is very clearly based of RHD, like anything else that has innate spellcasting. Considering the low LA value and the fact that they cast AS SPELL LIKE ABILITIES, trying to bend the RAW to a very cheesy interpretation will be frowned upon by all. RAW, the wording is "caster level equal to phaerimms character level" and "sorcerer levels stack with its base casting ability." That base casting ability is RHD, so the only wiggle room is some extra CL boosts, not casting progression. A strict DM would only allow the first spell casting level to stack with other levels for CL boosts, even after taking sorc levels. This would be a good nerf, but not one I believe is supported RAW.

I hope you haven't been getting ideas from GiTP
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #632 on: October 29, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »
I was getting confused from GitP.  I'm glad you cleared it up.  :)

So... bear with me... the spellcasting a Phaerimm gets from taking levels in sorcerer... is still SLA's?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #633 on: October 29, 2011, 07:26:47 PM »
Q 209 Is there a way to increase the Dex modifier of hide armor besides segmenting it or giving it Nimbleness?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #634 on: October 29, 2011, 07:38:30 PM »
Make it out of Leafweave, from RoW.  However, it drops the armor bonus by 1.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #635 on: October 29, 2011, 07:42:04 PM »
Q 209 Is there a way to increase the Dex modifier of hide armor besides segmenting it or giving it Nimbleness?
Mythril should work as well, unless you're thinking about druids.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #636 on: October 29, 2011, 07:42:52 PM »
You can make mithral HIDE? that doesn't seem right. But yes, we're unfortunately talking about druids.

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #637 on: October 29, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
the spellcasting a Phaerimm gets from taking levels in sorcerer... is still SLA's?
Yes. Remember that a strict DM could have a RAW interpretation and say no, but it is not the majority opinion, nor mine. That's why phaerimm as so incredibly powerful (like mini-sharns)
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #638 on: October 29, 2011, 08:17:26 PM »
You can make mithral HIDE? that doesn't seem right. But yes, we're unfortunately talking about druids.

Why not? Some parts of it are metal anyway.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #639 on: October 29, 2011, 08:18:13 PM »
Why not? Some parts of it are metal anyway.
Because druids can wear hide?