Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 132087 times)

Havok4

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • It can only be attributable to human error.
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #580 on: October 28, 2011, 01:08:34 AM »
I guess I should add that I'm going to be facing armies.  I think the Green Lady might be a little low-powered... maybe Zagan for Aversion (keep mooks away from me)?  Or Chupoclops?

Chupoclops is a nice get away free card, Vanus has a really short range which makes it somewhat less useful but really good if combined with other forms of fear.

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #581 on: October 28, 2011, 01:27:46 AM »
Q191. What type of elemental damage is resisted the least overall?
Acid.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #582 on: October 28, 2011, 01:36:56 AM »
Q41: Is there any way to gain a dragonmark without being one of those set PHB races? I hate those arbitrary restrictions.

The Altar of the Dragon's Eye, page 10 Eyes of the Lich Queen, gives use of the Aberrant Dragonmark feat. You get reist energy once a day instead of chosing a Dragonmark. This lets you take other feats that have Aberrant Dragonmark as a prerequitsite.
Awesome! I didn't see the cost. Did you?
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #583 on: October 28, 2011, 02:09:02 AM »
Acid.

I'm pretty sure acid is resisted more than twice as often as sonic. 

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #584 on: October 28, 2011, 02:41:34 AM »
Acid.

Well the term "elemental damage" isn't entirely clear, but sonic doesn't even appear on most lists of energy damage types.  Neither does force, which beats the pants off sonic, but is probably even less related to what the questioner actually wants.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #585 on: October 28, 2011, 03:38:39 AM »
Q 192: A Half-Fiend with 7 or more HD gets Poison as a Spell-like ability.  What happens when you apply the Mortal Bane feat to poison?

A conservative estimate would make me think it should be treated like sneak attack applied to an enervation attack: the sneak attack deals "negative energy" hit point damage (much like being struck with an inflict spell.)  Not saying the mortal bane damage should be 'negative energy;' just that it should be something else, not extra Con damage.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 10:20:28 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #586 on: October 28, 2011, 04:06:02 AM »
Acid.
Well the term "elemental damage" isn't entirely clear, but sonic doesn't even appear on most lists of energy damage types.  Neither does force, which beats the pants off sonic, but is probably even less related to what the questioner actually wants.
conceivable he was asking about those energy types. 

Bard

« Reply #587 on: October 28, 2011, 04:50:46 AM »
Q193 Can Peerless Archer (Silver Marches) be used with a Soulbow (Complete Psionic)?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #588 on: October 28, 2011, 07:31:02 AM »
Q 194 Is there a way, such as an item or a template, that when you die, you can explode and do massive amounts of damage to everyone around you, and cause your stuff to blow up with you? If not the latter, then just the first part. Looking to have a BBEG die ala the predator style, but something that happens automatically when they die (like a Balor), as opposed to setting the device themself. Custom is fine.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #589 on: October 28, 2011, 07:39:18 AM »
Q41: Is there any way to gain a dragonmark without being one of those set PHB races? I hate those arbitrary restrictions.

The Altar of the Dragon's Eye, page 10 Eyes of the Lich Queen, gives use of the Aberrant Dragonmark feat. You get reist energy once a day instead of chosing a Dragonmark. This lets you take other feats that have Aberrant Dragonmark as a prerequitsite.
Awesome! I didn't see the cost. Did you?

I couldn't find anything in print nor any errata that listed a price. Looks like another location that is up to the DM. That said as a DM given the limited use of the resist energy ability bestowed and the limited scope of the associated feat tree granted I'd use the other locations that do have a cost listed and put this one on the low side.

DM results may vary, use and abuse of your DM will affect your mileage, approach DM with caution and food for best results
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

Hazren

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #590 on: October 28, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
Q 194 Is there a way, such as an item or a template, that when you die, you can explode and do massive amounts of damage to everyone around you, and cause your stuff to blow up with you? If not the latter, then just the first part. Looking to have a BBEG die ala the predator style, but something that happens automatically when they die (like a Balor), as opposed to setting the device themself. Custom is fine.

A 194
One option is to have Death Throes, SpC pg 60 - 61 cast on you as a contingency spell or as a custom magic item.

Another option is to base it on the feat Spectacular Death Throes from the dragonlance campaign setting. Find a way to meet the draconian prereq and select one of five ways to go out in an exploding blaze of glory.
"My solution way too often is to press the red button and see the world burn, which brings us back to the fiery pits of Hell..."
Tshern

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #591 on: October 28, 2011, 09:10:40 AM »

A 194
One option is to have Death Throes, SpC pg 60 - 61 cast on you as a contingency spell or as a custom magic item.

Another option is to base it on the feat Spectacular Death Throes from the dragonlance campaign setting. Find a way to meet the draconian prereq and select one of five ways to go out in an exploding blaze of glory.

There's also a Paladin 4 spells that does that, from BoED. It grants +4 CHA, and you explode when you die. Duration is long enough to maintain constantly, if you want to.
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #592 on: October 28, 2011, 10:28:00 AM »

A 194

There's also a Paladin 4 spells that does that, from BoED. It grants +4 CHA, and you explode when you die. Duration is long enough to maintain constantly, if you want to.
There is also a feat (or chain of feats) in Savage Species that allows you to do this.  You must have an energy subtype, and it does that kind of energy damage.

Looked it up - Final Strike.  You deal energy damage (1d6 per your number of HD) in a 60 ft radius when you reach -10 hp) plus a secondary effect.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #593 on: October 28, 2011, 10:38:56 AM »
bump

Q188 Can an Incantatrix apply Cooperative Metamagic to a spell being cast (by someone else) off a spell completion item like a scroll?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

StreamOfTheSky

« Reply #594 on: October 28, 2011, 12:57:54 PM »

A 194

There is also a feat (or chain of feats) in Savage Species that allows you to do this.  You must have an energy subtype, and it does that kind of energy damage.

Looked it up - Final Strike.  You deal energy damage (1d6 per your number of HD) in a 60 ft radius when you reach -10 hp) plus a secondary effect.

There's also the Destruction Retribution feat from LM.  Less damage, but heals other undead, so in groups it can be really nasty *knows from experience*

I hate these kinds of things.  Just a big FU to PCs, usually, crap that happens when you die usually isn't nearly as useful when the roles are reversed, and it's pretty ridiculous when a monster's death is more dangerous than all the rounds it was alive in the combat.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #595 on: October 28, 2011, 03:10:46 PM »
Q 195: Why is a 5d6 fireball from a necklace of fireballs half the cost of a 5d6 lightning bolt from a javelin of lightning?

Quote from: necklace of fireballs
Spheres come in different strengths, ranging from those that deal 2d6 points of fire damage to those that deal 10d6. The market price of a sphere is 150 gp for each die of damage it deals.
5*150 = 750 gp
Quote from: javelin of lightning
This javelin becomes a 5d6 lightning bolt when thrown (Reflex DC 14 half). It is consumed in the attack.

Faint evocation; CL 5th; Craft Magic Arms and Armor, lightning bolt; Price 1,500 gp
The only difference between the two is the required reflex save if you fail a save vs. a magical fire effect for the necklace.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #596 on: October 28, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »
The only difference between the two is the required reflex save if you fail a save vs. a magical fire effect for the necklace.
I imagine this is it... bear in mind that fire attacks are pretty common and that the necklace uses its own will save bonus rather than yours would lead me to believe them blowing up in your face isn't all that uncommon. A type VII necklace with a full set of fireballs does 58d6 damage centred on you if it goes off...

It also seems to be a really good way to set up a magical trap, find some way of remotely detonating a fire spell and you have a nice timed explosive that does a huge amount of damage.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #597 on: October 28, 2011, 04:29:30 PM »
Q196: I could be making it up, but I thought there was a spell that made your opponent roll twice and take the worse.  Is there an equivalent that makes someone roll twice and take the better?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

CantripN

• Hong Kong
  • Constantly talking isn't necessarily communicating
    • Cantrip, Gestalt Gish
« Reply #598 on: October 28, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »
Q196: I could be making it up, but I thought there was a spell that made your opponent roll twice and take the worse.  Is there an equivalent that makes someone roll twice and take the better?

The enemy version is Unluck (SpC, Sor/Wiz 3) or another version in CC (level 5, though). The friendly one is Choose Destiny (Destiny Domain 9 - RoD).
Read, every day, something no one else is reading. Think, every day, something no one else is thinking. Do, every day, something no one else would be silly enough to do. It is bad for the mind to be always part of unanimity.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #599 on: October 28, 2011, 04:39:10 PM »
Which of the six listed spells does that?
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.