Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 132120 times)

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #480 on: October 24, 2011, 10:16:04 PM »
Q160: How do I get Protection from Good as a Shugenja?
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #481 on: October 24, 2011, 10:18:52 PM »

You could take one of the (Many) PRCs that grant a domain and grab the evil domain for it.

Sobolev

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #482 on: October 24, 2011, 10:30:19 PM »

You could take one of the (Many) PRCs that grant a domain and grab the evil domain for it.

Yeah, I figured, but I'm trying to think of something that I can get before level 12. 
Sha'ir Handbook
Binder Handbook

Quote from: Negative Zero on November 04, 2009, 02:16:14 AM
In my humble opinion, CO is haberdashery. Some say we're mad, but we can all agree we're hatters. Yes, we have potential to make very sophisticated hats, very fancy hats, be they dark or light. But the truth is that the color of the hat does not come from the group of us - our community doesn't directly produce hats. We simply give average head circumferences, list current fashion trends, and point out some shiny, obscure baubles to add to the latest hat line.

Bard

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #483 on: October 24, 2011, 10:47:05 PM »
Q161: Am I missing something or the description of Iaijutsu Focus skill doesn't say that it works only with a single attack after drawing the weapon? From what I read there it seems like it would work even on a full attack (and for sure with the Iaijitsu Master One Strike Two Cuts ability) as long as you do it as soon as you draw the sword (a free action with QuickDraw)
Am I wrong?
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
Which, I guess, would be 'no rule,' since none = 0.
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #484 on: October 24, 2011, 10:54:00 PM »
Q161: Am I missing something or the description of Iaijutsu Focus skill doesn't say that it works only with a single attack after drawing the weapon? From what I read there it seems like it would work even on a full attack (and for sure with the Iaijitsu Master One Strike Two Cuts ability) as long as you do it as soon as you draw the sword (a free action with QuickDraw)
Am I wrong?
As long as you keep drawing.

Littha

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #485 on: October 24, 2011, 11:04:18 PM »

Yeah, I figured, but I'm trying to think of something that I can get before level 12. 

You can get into contemplative at level 10 and get the bonus domain in the first level.

Bard

« Reply #486 on: October 24, 2011, 11:29:18 PM »
That's actually what I'm not understanding... I don't see where the skill says that you need to draw for EACH ""hit"", it looks too me like you need to draw only once each turn.
For example... I draw and immediatly do an attack action, with One Strike Two Cuts I attack twice in the same attack action, from what I read in the description imho both attacks should get the bonus dices.
Same if I draw and do a full round attack... but googling for it it seems that most people say it doesn't work for the full round and neither for the ability of the Iaijutsu Master (that seems to be made just for that purpose).
Too bad they never explain WHY and I'm reading the opposite in the RAW... can someone explain that? :\
[Spoiler]
His old DM was on crack. He could take levels in freaking Dread Necromancer if he wanted to and no rule in the universe would keep him from doing so.
Rule 0?
What's funny is he always brings up Rule 0. I actually had to ask him what that was, and without blinking an eye he gave me the most detailed explanation I'd ever heard for a rule. It was like he was in a trance when he spoke. Looking it up, it just said "The unspoken DM gets final say/veto anything he wants rule."
You're such a kind man, for taking in abused unfortunates and rehabilitating them.
[/spoiler]

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #487 on: October 24, 2011, 11:43:45 PM »
That's actually what I'm not understanding... I don't see where the skill says that you need to draw for EACH ""hit"", it looks too me like you need to draw only once each turn.
For example... I draw and immediatly do an attack action, with One Strike Two Cuts I attack twice in the same attack action, from what I read in the description imho both attacks should get the bonus dices.
Same if I draw and do a full round attack... but googling for it it seems that most people say it doesn't work for the full round and neither for the ability of the Iaijutsu Master (that seems to be made just for that purpose).
Too bad they never explain WHY and I'm reading the opposite in the RAW... can someone explain that? :\

Immediately after is assumed to not allow several attacks as the second or third is not immediately after drawing.
However, why can't you draw one weapon and attack with another?
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

Bard

« Reply #488 on: October 24, 2011, 11:47:21 PM »
Ok, I see it now... I'm still unsure about the One Strike, Two Cuts ability since it's from Iaijitsu Master and all, but whatever.

However, why can't you draw one weapon and attack with another?
lol, well, it never says you have to attack with the SAME weapon... not even that you can't throw it afterwards as long as it's a melee weapon ;D
[Spoiler]
Rule 0?
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #489 on: October 24, 2011, 11:53:46 PM »
Q 162: What relatively cheap, but persistent means are there to be able to breath underwater?  The Necklace of Adaptation is perhaps a bit too pricey of a reward when my PC's are 8th level.

I'm reformatting the Red Hand of Doom module to utilize Tanarukk, Trolls, and evil outsiders.  I was thinking of putting an Abishi (FC2) in place of the Black Dragon at a location that correlates to RHoD's City of Rhest, but none of them have the ability to breath water.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #490 on: October 24, 2011, 11:59:42 PM »

Here you go.

Check: If you attack a flat-footed opponent immediately
after drawing a melee weapon
, you can deal extra damage,
based on the result of an Iaijutsu Focus check.

Though there's precedent for actual Iaijutsu strikes that cut more than one opponent after the initial draw, as in the real world skill, in D&D only the strike immediately after drawing counts. If you've already attacked once after drawing, then the next attack is not IMMEDIATELY after drawing a weapon.

If you can count TWF as striking with two weapons simultaneously, you could, in theory, gain IF damage by making off-hand attacks with unarmed strikes. In fact, unarmed strikes make the best theoretical weapon for IF since you don't need to worry about the "drawing" mechanics.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #491 on: October 25, 2011, 12:02:35 AM »
Q 162: What relatively cheap, but persistent means are there to be able to breath underwater?  The Necklace of Adaptation is perhaps a bit too pricey of a reward when my PC's are 8th level.
You're likely going to have to make your own items as water breathing is a 3rd level spell, and most underwater abilities are very expensive. A potion of water breathing would be 1050g if you wanted to go that route. Be good for 14 hours, or until dispelled. Maybe give them a wand with only 20 charges on it (4500g).
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.

Bard

« Reply #492 on: October 25, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »

I'm reformatting the Red Hand of Doom module to utilize Tanarukk, Trolls, and evil outsiders.  I was thinking of putting an Abishi (FC2) in place of the Black Dragon at a location that correlates to RHoD's City of Rhest, but none of them have the ability to breath water.

Greater Crystal of Aquatic Adaptation (Armor Crystal from MIC) is 3k and gives a swim speed, ability to move and attack normally underwater, breathe and no armor maluses to swim checks.
[Spoiler]
Rule 0?
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #493 on: October 25, 2011, 12:26:50 AM »

Greater Crystal of Aquatic Adaptation (Armor Crystal from MIC) is 3k and gives a swim speed, ability to move and attack normally underwater, breathe and no armor maluses to swim checks.
Requires a +3 suit of armor though. Not a suit of armor with +3 bonuses, but straight up +3 enhancement.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #494 on: October 25, 2011, 12:47:01 AM »
Q 162: What relatively cheap, but persistent means are there to be able to breath underwater?  The Necklace of Adaptation is perhaps a bit too pricey of a reward when my PC's are 8th level.

I'm reformatting the Red Hand of Doom module to utilize Tanarukk, Trolls, and evil outsiders.  I was thinking of putting an Abishi (FC2) in place of the Black Dragon at a location that correlates to RHoD's City of Rhest, but none of them have the ability to breath water.

Requires a +3 suit of armor though. Not a suit of armor with +3 bonuses, but straight up +3 enhancement.
This discussion sparked a memory/idea - There is a Hathran Mask of Water Breathing for 3000 gp.  It even fits my homebrew setting, which was built around Rashemi culture.  The PC's could even be rewarded for returning it to its rightful owners.

Q 163: Now that the breathing aspect is out of the way...  Would a freedom of movement effect allow a winged creature to "fly" underwater?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:53:05 AM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #495 on: October 25, 2011, 12:52:50 AM »
Add Water Breathing to a morphing shuriken in buckler-axe form... Super cheap

Edit: nevermind... Make it a +3 morphing shuriken and add that crystal?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:18:51 AM by zook1shoe »

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #496 on: October 25, 2011, 12:53:21 AM »

This discussion sparked a memory/idea - There is a Hathran Mask of Water Breathing for 3000 gp.  It even fits my homebrew setting, which was built around Rashemi culture.  The PC's could even be rewarded for returning it to its rightful owners.
It's in Unapproachable East for anyone who doesn't know the source.

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
« Reply #497 on: October 25, 2011, 01:26:08 AM »
Two part question:

Q 164a: What rules are there for worshiping demons and getting a cleric's spells from a demon (or group of demons) rather than a god? Book and chapter you can point me toward?

Q 164b: What rules are there pertaining to what holy symbol an Archivist needs to use as a Divine focus?  Or are the rules pretty silent on the matter, leaving fluff to allow you whatever symbol you want for the situation (like the weaselly guy in the Mummy movie who shuffled through holy symbols like drunk trying to find the right key on a key ring)?

Specifically, the divine casters of my Tanarukk/Troll/Half-fiend army are all archivists, so I'm wondering what I need them to have so far as holy symbols and actual "worship" of demons.

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #498 on: October 25, 2011, 03:29:40 AM »
bump

Still hoping these have possible answers.

Q 57 How do mobs (DMGII) work if the creature naturally has the Diehard feat as a supernatural ability? Do they go beyond the 0 hp mark?

Q 124 Is there a humanoid size snake-like creature you can gain as a cohort when you take Leadership?

Q 154 Other than increasing their Dex, and taking Weapon Focus feats, how does one get a warlock's ranged touch attack up? Tonight he cost the party a huge amount of treasure simply because of the fact that he just couldn't roll over a 5 (the enemy teleported with a majority of it). The guy is systematically a phenomenon. Not quite as bad as The Spoony One's Mike who couldn't roll higher than a 10 for two months straight, but he's getting up there.

New question:
Q 165 I know that adding the fiendish template makes the creature become an extraplanar version of the original, but does it count as an "evil outsider" for the purposes of a ranger's favored enemy?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #499 on: October 25, 2011, 03:44:58 AM »
Q 165 I know that adding the fiendish template makes the creature become an extraplanar version of the original, but does it count as an "evil outsider" for the purposes of a ranger's favored enemy?

Nope.  Need to be type Outsider to count as an outsider, barring an explicit exception.  "Not from around here" doesn't cut it.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."