Author Topic: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM  (Read 132107 times)

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
Re: Simple Q&A 29: The CR 5 Gargantuan Dragon of DOOM
« Reply #440 on: October 23, 2011, 04:50:18 PM »
A 146: those Goofyfooted Halflings that are basically short Humans,
without the skill bonus, for the bonus feet ... I mean feat.

Q 147: Potion of Summon Monster 1 ... yes ?

Vicerious

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Foolish Mortal
    • Email
« Reply #441 on: October 23, 2011, 05:21:55 PM »

Q 147: Potion of Summon Monster 1 ... yes ?

A 147
Quote from: SRD
The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect...
That implies that the spell in a potion must have a target, which the SM spells do not.
"A witty saying proves nothing." --Voltaire

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #442 on: October 23, 2011, 05:32:03 PM »
If you mean Dark Creepers, they have LA +4.

Q 141: From the Ride Skill:
Fight with Warhorse
If you direct your war-trained mount to attack in battle, you can still make your own attack or attacks normally. This usage is a free action.

What exactly determines if something is a war-trained mount, especially when you get into non-animal mounts?  Is a goblin-ridden worg considered a war-trained mount for this purpose?

Unfortunately RAW isn't very clear here.  But generally, if a mount is written as being war trained (War Horses and Riding Dogs both mention this) or has the Warbeast template you can be sure it is.  If not, it's DM's call.  If there's fluff about them being ridden into battle, you're probably good to go... if not, just apply the Warbeast template on it to get it trained up.
Well, Warbeast unfortunately doesn't help when it comes to Magical Beasts.  I'll just have to assume that something of Troll-level intelligence (worgs) or better can figure out how to do this without "training."
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #443 on: October 23, 2011, 05:39:39 PM »
Q148 There are ways to get an animal companion familiar, and a special mount familiar.  Is there any way to count your psicrystal as a familiar?
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #444 on: October 23, 2011, 05:47:39 PM »
Q 146: Any Small humanoid (or humanoid-like form regardless of actual type) creatures with no Strength penalty, no racial HD, and LA +0?  Must advance by class levels.

I was honestly surprised to turn up four: gully dwarf (Dragonlance Campaign Setting p14), korobokuru (Oriental Adventures p171), wild dwarf (Races of Faerun p23), and vril (Drow of the Underdark p123). 

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #445 on: October 23, 2011, 05:50:49 PM »
Q 146: Any Small humanoid (or humanoid-like form regardless of actual type) creatures with no Strength penalty, no racial HD, and LA +0?  Must advance by class levels.

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #446 on: October 23, 2011, 06:06:29 PM »

I was honestly surprised to turn up four: gully dwarf (Dragonlance Campaign Setting p14), korobokuru (Oriental Adventures p171), wild dwarf (Races of Faerun p23), and vril (Drow of the Underdark p123). 
Of note, the Korobokuru are more or less Small PHB dwarves.
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #447 on: October 23, 2011, 07:28:03 PM »
Q142: How do I make a carebear?  Needs to be a bear (being a druid doesn't count, but something else might) and needs to have a care bear stare.  Ideally it should sparkle and not wear pants.  Help?

The spell that jumps to mind for the care bare stare is Rainbow Blast.  How about an awakened bear wizard or sorcerer?  You're a real bear, so pant aren't necessary.  And you have access to plenty of magic for the sparkles...

Nagukuk

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #448 on: October 23, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
Q149   SwordSage - Shadow "Stride Jaunt etc"  + Setting Sun (feat) flash of sunset= Teleport and Attack?

Specifically do you NEED specifically the monk ability or a dimension door power. Or will the Teleport work also as it is a higher powered version of Dim-Door?

Or is this a DM call?

weenog

• Grape ape
« Reply #449 on: October 23, 2011, 08:17:33 PM »
A 149 You just need to move adjacent to a foe instantaneously to activate Flash of Sunset.  Dimension door and abundant step are given as examples, as opposed to say, travel devotion's swift action movement.
"We managed to make an NPC puke an undead monster."
"That sounds like a victory to me."

Maat_Mons

• Hong Kong
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
« Reply #450 on: October 23, 2011, 08:24:36 PM »
Q142: How do I make a carebear?  Needs to be a bear (being a druid doesn't count, but something else might) and needs to have a care bear stare.  Ideally it should sparkle and not wear pants.  Help?
The spell that jumps to mind for the care bare stare is Rainbow Blast.  How about an awakened bear wizard or sorcerer?  You're a real bear, so pant aren't necessary.  And you have access to plenty of magic for the sparkles...

Urskans

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #451 on: October 23, 2011, 10:30:12 PM »
Q 150:  Why are the D&D ship speed rules so... wrong?
Quote from: SRD
Vehicles                                    Per Hour    Per Day
Longship (sailed and rowed)    3 miles    72 miles
Quote from: Stormwrack
Longship ... 1-1/2 mph* (sailed, multiplied by wind modifier) or 2 mph (Rowed)
Even under favorable conditions, with a strong wind (providing a x3 multiplier to the ship's speed) providing for a 4.5 mile per hour sailing speed, it's about 1/3 real world speeds.

Quote from: wikipedia
5 knots is ~5.75 mph

So the maximum speed of longships per the ship rules in Stormwrack is equal to the low average speed of real-world longships...

Was this ever addressed in a Sage question or something?

Q 151: Does the gem focus of a Trap the Soul spell detect as magical to a Detect Magic spell?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:17:42 PM by ksbsnowowl »
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #452 on: October 24, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »

Anthropomorphic bear

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #453 on: October 24, 2011, 02:40:17 AM »
sig
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Kethrian

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #454 on: October 24, 2011, 03:22:24 AM »
Q 152 Can you use move and/or standard actions to do swift actions?  Obviously, not to cast more than one quickened spell in a round, but, for example, if you wanted to shoot the Talon Sceptre more than once in a round?

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #455 on: October 24, 2011, 04:03:26 AM »
Q153 what's the most WotC content I can post?

jojolagger

• Hong Kong
« Reply #456 on: October 24, 2011, 04:15:22 AM »
Q153 what's the most WotC content I can post?
Depends where you live.  :smirk

In all seriousness, the less you post the better. Unless it's OGL (basically anything on the SRD), then your fine.
Countdown to Zombie Apocalypse 97
When you see this, copy it into your sig and -1
:lovefirefox
Quotes [spoiler]
In other words, he thinks there's a "correct" way to play D&D.  *sigh*
There is: Kill shit and loot the corpse!
When you use a tool the way it was designed for -- its intended function -- then it will work very well for you.

But it's not the tool's fault if you use it for something else and you fail utterly, such as trying to eat cereal with a butterknife, pounding nails with a screwdriver, blogging to voice your political opinions, and brushing your teeth with a hammer.
[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #457 on: October 24, 2011, 04:22:20 AM »
Lol ok... I just occasionally see people post full feats n stuff

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #458 on: October 24, 2011, 04:22:36 AM »
Lol ok... I just occasionally see people post full feats n stuff

kevin_video

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #459 on: October 24, 2011, 06:03:51 AM »
Q 154 Other than increasing their Dex, and taking Weapon Focus feats, how does one get a warlock's ranged touch attack up? Tonight he cost the party a huge amount of treasure simply because of the fact that he just couldn't roll over a 5 (the enemy teleported with a majority of it). The guy is systematically a phenomenon. Not quite as bad as The Spoony One's Mike who couldn't roll higher than a 10 for two months straight, but he's getting up there.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Like D&D Freakouts? Check out this 4th Ed one.