Author Topic: When you're ready to discuss background/history...  (Read 4201 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
When you're ready to discuss background/history...
« on: October 01, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
...post here, and we'll talk either in the thread or PM.  zook, I know we've already gotten started.  :)

Basically, post whatever ideas you have and we'll flesh them out.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:38:59 PM by sirpercival »
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
Re: When you're ready to discuss background/history...
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
K this is what I have so far. Not sure what you would like to add, or how you intend to play certain NPC's.. but sense nothing is set in stone yet I went ahead and thought this up :D

Lemme know your feedback and thoughts.. we can brainstorm this out some more Im open to changes  :D

[spoiler]
Boon, an Albino half-orc.
Born to the victim of a rape during a raiding party. He was thrown away at birth. Cursed by the gods for being the unfortunate spawn of a vile and evil act perpetrated by lust and rage. His skin and hair is ghastly white, eyes pink or red like those of a demon. Hair long and greasy, always hiding his brooding demeanor. A face which only a mother could love, his orc blood clearly evident in his features. He has a large brow, his lower jaw juts out, his teeth like that of a boar. Boon towers over most villagers at a impressive 6'3'', a virtual mountain of muscle. His speed and health are rivaled only by the most seasoned adventurers.

Not much can be said about the boy. As an infant he was found in a ditch along the road side. Picked up by a kind travelling merchant he was taken to the nearest orphanage. A church in the small town of Springley Downs. The boy had a troubled youth, being raised by the kind old Priest at the church was not enough structure for the young lad. Having very few friends in the village, and generally somewhat outcasted. Boon was frequently in trouble with the many of the villagers. Fighting was common, and he proved to be to much of a handfull for the busy Priest.
Facing possibly being homeless, the Inn keeper Coman took pity on the boy. He lets Boon live in the stables, provided he takes care of the grounds and animals needs. The large Inn Keeper seems to have been a positive influence on Boon. Putting him to hard work, giving him a outlet for his pent up energy and natural endurance.
[/spoiler]

Slappin ho's like E-Honda

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 10:26:34 PM »
Lemme know your feedback and thoughts.. we can brainstorm this out some more Im open to changes  :D

I have a few edits, and I also rewrote it to make it quite cinematic.  The big thing is that Springley Downs is even smaller than you're taking into account; also, I tweaked some stuff for the origin story.  Try this on for size, let me know what you think.

[spoiler]
The elves of Fayland water wreaked havoc on the orcish raiders, who had snuck over the snow line in the twilight of early morning to attack Springley Downs.  Luckily, Romi's raccoon friend had warned them in time, and the orcs' ancient foes had rained death upon them from the trees.  The majority of the raiding party had been wiped out in the first five minutes, and then it was just playing hide-and-seek through the trees.

They had missed one, though: a craven, tusked thing with oddly white skin and pink eyes who stole away from the main group and into town, looking for some fun in the pre-dawn light.  He found it in the form of Liddia, the wainwright's eldest, who woke up at the noise and had gone to fetch some water.  Her father struck the thing down with a broken axle, but the damage had been done.

They named the child Boon as an attempt to change his fortunes, but his fledgeling tusks had torn his mother irreparably, and she died that night despite Father Brelden's best efforts.  Liddia's father cast out the spawn immediately, declaring it cursed by the Lords.  Brelden disagreed, and took in the mewling, white-skinned thing, determined to show him heaven's mercy.

Boon was ridiculed and hated by everyone, and only Father Brelden's heavy-handed protection gave him any respite.  He grew like a weed, then like a tree, towering over everyone in the village by 13.  His hair was greasy and white, his eyes red and brooding.  There were scars on his face from when the other childrens' ministrations became violent, and one of his tusks was chipped at the end from a well-thrown stone.

Eventually, Father Brelden couldn't handle the boy anymore.  He was too strong and angry, and fought against the restraints placed on him.  Master Coman the innkeeper finally offered to take him in as a stable boy, and working with the animals seemed to bring Boon a measure of peace (or perhaps it was just the heavy labor that tired him out).  Still he grew, and eventually the other children stopped picking on him, frightened of his fierce demeanor and incredible strength, speed, and endurance.

Secretly, the village elders hoped he would be taken by wanderlust and leave in the dead of night.  They wouldn't throw him out, as that would be cruel... but they would sleep easier knowing he was gone.
[/spoiler]

Also, I'm totally up for an all-wizards game.  If you want some suggestions for plot, I'll be happy to provide them (I'm kind of a story factory).  The only problem is I can't decide if I want to do the dream dwarf earth dreamer, or the malconvoker.  But that's for another thread, really.

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:02:53 PM »
Wow looks good. Ya that works for me.

For the wiz game I am really considering it... I think it would be alot of fun. I was tempted to make a post about it in the pbp. If I decide to start one up it would be nice to have kind of a co-dm to bounce ideas off of  :D but ya thats for another thread.

K so my back grounds good, Im looking at the demoralizing build and will probly go that route.
my progression will end up something similar to orc paragon/barb/ranger/wild runner/ champ of corellion/champ of gwyn    something like that. for lots of dex/str/con boosting synergy as well  :D

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 04:28:59 AM »
I'm going to use all of what you suggested, but add to it ;)

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:49:45 AM »
Alright, so about time I started this....
[spoiler]Isaac had a destiny that was placed upon him before he was even born. His father was well-known hedge wizard, a spellcaster who was loyal to a House without a Lord. His lady mother was a healer, and a witch herself. When the two met, and shortly after married, it was expected that they would bear children with the power born from the blood of their ancestors, who would reap the experience of their parents to become great mages. After but a year, their House had been absorbed into the fiefdom of another lord, who had no desire for competition with his own loyal mage. Told that they had to leave their homes, and the small territory they knew and loved, the couple eventually settled in the hamlet of Springley Downs. Sixteen months later, Isaac was born.

He was a healthy child, lively and full of energy, both of body and of mind. His arcane power was unfocused, but present, and he could perform simple light tricks when he was but two years old. His parents were pleased; though they had little, their talents not being of high demand in the small village, they had hopes that their son would grow as strong and glorious as had been expected. Isaac learned quickly to read, and was tutored by his mother and father shortly after, though he could not draw forth quite yet basic spells. Still, he was young, and it was expected. When his little brother Garet was born, when Isaac was freshly four, their parents were overjoyed, though worried about their ability to maintain two children.

While his parents worked, Isaac watched and tutored his younger brother. It was while they were playing at magic together that the two stumbled upon a nest in the woods, that had seemed abandoned. Garet broke the nest while examining it, and from it came small insects, too tiny to imagine, who swarmed and attacked. Isaac tried to fend them off while his brother ran back to the village. When his mother and father came finally with some of the huntsman, they found him stung all over. Their magic failing to repel the creatures, the hunters eventually used an alchemic dust that killed the swarm, and it was discovered that the insects were parasites that fed off of arcane energy. Analysis and research, though limited, showed that the insects were embedded deep within Isaac, living but dormant. Treatments were all experimental, and all dangerous, and all without even a high chance of success. Isaac was eight.

As the years went by, Garet, who had been saved his brothers fate by Isaac, developed quickly into an impressive mage with natural talent at magic; he was becoming a full-fledged sorcerer, though young. Isaac, his magical abilities still present but damaged, became even more enthralled with the knights he heard tell of from the elders in the village, from his father, who dealt with the hedge knights in his youth, and from the stories he managed to find. He was determined to try and find a way to prove himself useful, even great, like the men in the stories from the age of heroes. But while his family was poor, yet, happy, Isaac knew that the best place to start was at home. He took up work with the blacksmiths both in Springley Downs and in Silverhaven, and earned a small but helpful living as an assistant and apprentice, starting when he turned thirteen.

But that was the same year his sister, Jenna, was born, and it is now almost six years past, four since Isaac's father left to pledge himself to a true Lord. Though his father is away, he tries to send word by bird often to Springley Down, and comes back every year for a short stay to remind his family that he loves them. Isaac's mother works as a healer and resident witch for Springley down, though her services are more towards mixing alchemic medicines and tools for the town and the merchants who come through. Garet is anxious to become a hedge sorcerer, and Jenna's magical blood is flowering under his tutelage. Isaac, meanwhile, has become a fine craftsman, and trains both in magic and in sword. Though no master of either, he has worked to combine the two, in the hopes of making something more of himself, stylized by his own person, towards his own destiny.

Which is good, since he has lately had an odd feeling about his latent destiny. He feels a pull, as if he knows he is soon to leave the town that he loves so well, to make his own way in the world beyond....[/spoiler] Or, rather, that's what I've got thus far. It works his flaws into his story-line, as well as his reduced magical ability and his increased martial work. He's still not focused in either, and it leaves plenty to be done. I also wrote in his local and distant family, with a sister and brother to make things interesting, and a distant father to mayhaps run into and provide direction for Isaac later in the plot.

As far as in-village, he is an apprentice smith, so he must be apprenticed under Big Tor. He has religious studies, so might be he frequents the local church and is in good standing with Brelden. Big Tor might send his apprentice to trade with Silverhaven in his stead, and since Isaac is well-trained and old enough, could be he has been making trips with Squire Mainor when the man goes trading, and that's where he learned his basic sword-study. As an alchemist and witch, it's probable that his mother is friends/professional acquaintances with Romi and Aurua, as well as some of the Elves from nearby such as Deepshadow and Rainfall.

Not to mention, his father pledging himself to a distant lord makes for plenty of flexibility should the party need a wizard, or go travelling.

Whatcha think, DM?
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 06:57:14 AM by Flay Crimsonwind »

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 01:21:39 PM »
Great stuff.  You don't need to change anything, but the only critique I have is that Springley Downs is at the ass-end of nowhere, so rather than "heading to somewhere they'd heard of" you could do "fleeing from something and finding refuge"...  but overall it's perfect.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »
The wiz game is a really cool idea!

For my background, as i said in the other thread I thought I could be a wizardry school drop-out or something like that considering the youngsters theme of the campaign.

I'll have to think a little more about that.

Believe.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 03:41:37 PM »
I know, right?

For my background, as i said in the other thread I thought I could be a wizardry school drop-out or something like that considering the youngsters theme of the campaign.

Well, there are no wizardry "schools" anywhere close.  You could have apprenticed to an irascible wizard in Silverhaven, or just have seen Moonglow (the elven wizard in Fayland Water) do something awesome and decided that the best way to stay alive was to learn magic from her.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
What about my kitteh? Will he be an orphan from a distant exotic land? Or maybe there's a tribe somewhere nearby? He can also be a failed (or successful) magical experiment. :) A normal cat turned to a humanoid creature by a wizard. That would be cool.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 04:34:49 PM »
What about my kitteh? Will he be an orphan from a distant exotic land? Or maybe there's a tribe somewhere nearby? He can also be a failed (or successful) magical experiment. :) A normal cat turned to a humanoid creature by a wizard. That would be cool.

I have some thoughts here, let me organize them and I'll PM you.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 06:38:44 PM »

I've always got an illusionist and a force-mage on hand, for wizard games, if this ever gets started up.

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 07:40:46 PM »
Everythings look good guys, I like your background Flay. Btw I just noticed, we are playing in more that one game togather arent we?  :D

Imperator, isnt the anthromorphic cat a LA 1?

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 07:49:06 PM »
Yes, yes it is.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 12:34:23 AM »
Everythings look good guys, I like your background Flay. Btw I just noticed, we are playing in more that one game togather arent we?  :D

If you pbp on these boards, chance is I'm playing with you. I like to title myself the PbP whore, or if being impressive the PbP Prince.

And thank you, I sat down and just typed an edited for about 45 minutes before I realized I'd put more work into that background than my chem studying. :banghead

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2011, 06:44:54 PM »
Ok, so the idea is that I'm a young dwarf that went exploring on his own for rich mineral veins (There's a specific dwarf race related to it I think, I gotta look it up).  I came to the Springley Downs area through some underground caverns and had to surface due to flooding.  I'm currently held up at the inn waiting for the rains to subside.  I keep to myself for the most part and only open up when I'm drinking and then I'm an uncharismatic bastard :) 

I like the idea here.  There are some mountains to the west, so you're from there.  How about this:

[spoiler]You were delving for shiny things in a deep cavern, and the huge rainstorm on the surface (which you normally would care exactly nil about) made an underground river break through a thin section of underground river floor which had been eroding for millennia.  In the resulting flood you were washed for several miles, only your hardy dwarven constitution keeping you from drowning or being smashed to bits on the rocks.  You surfaced in the middle of the woods, bursting through a spring in a geyser of muddy water and rock into a pool, very much surprising the pretty elven lady bathing there.

Luckily, she managed to drag you out of the pool before you drowned, and brought you to the nearby town of Springley Downs where you've spent the last week convalescing due to the ministrations and not bad (though decidedly weak) ale of Coman the innkeep.  You're not sure where you are or how to get back home, since the geography aboveground is wildly different from what you know.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

CrazyBS

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2011, 07:47:00 PM »
Ok, so the idea is that I'm a young dwarf that went exploring on his own for rich mineral veins (There's a specific dwarf race related to it I think, I gotta look it up).  I came to the Springley Downs area through some underground caverns and had to surface due to flooding.  I'm currently held up at the inn waiting for the rains to subside.  I keep to myself for the most part and only open up when I'm drinking and then I'm an uncharismatic bastard :) 

I like the idea here.  There are some mountains to the west, so you're from there.  How about this:

[spoiler]You were delving for shiny things in a deep cavern, and the huge rainstorm on the surface (which you normally would care exactly nil about) made an underground river break through a thin section of underground river floor which had been eroding for millennia.  In the resulting flood you were washed for several miles, only your hardy dwarven constitution keeping you from drowning or being smashed to bits on the rocks.  You surfaced in the middle of the woods, bursting through a spring in a geyser of muddy water and rock into a pool, very much surprising the pretty elven lady bathing there.

Luckily, she managed to drag you out of the pool before you drowned, and brought you to the nearby town of Springley Downs where you've spent the last week convalescing due to the ministrations and not bad (though decidedly weak) ale of Coman the innkeep.  You're not sure where you are or how to get back home, since the geography aboveground is wildly different from what you know.

[/spoiler]

That'll work

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:04:45 PM »
Brief:
[spoiler]
With her flaws (cold-blooded and wild) and trait (aggressive), I've thought that Snowy (my tibbit Psychtotum) would most likely come from a little tribe full of nomadic tibbits living in the forests a little bit to the north. She had it hard all of her childhood, learning everything on the spot. She didn't become a master of anything, but she was brilliant enough as to outwit most problems she came through, also on the spot for most, if not all.

As time went by though, she grew tired of this way of life and of her tribe. In their travels in the south, she came about a village (Springley Downs) where other living beings caught her interest, and she pretty much left the tribe from there with no other thoughts. She hid from her tribe till they left the area, and she went to the village. Snowy was eleven years old at the time. In her cat form, she wandered from place to place anywhere where something would catch her interest (pretty much everywhere in the village). The village pretty acted as a study for her, but she never showed her humanoid form to anyone. As time went by, Brelden, the town's cleric, pretty much adopted her (maybe he likes cats?). He's also the one that named her "Snowy."

Came a time when she got careless and got caught in her humanoid form by Brelden when she came about 14 (years old). Drama happened, but he came to realise that she were indeed that fluffy white cat he liked. [...]
[/spoiler]

From there I'm not sure how to go. I'm also not sure what the people in town would think she is ("weird" snow elf child?) or if they know what the hell is a tibbit. Whatever she could do in town too I'm not sure, but she'll pretty much have skill points in practically every skills and maybe some craft (alchemy? poisonmaking?) so, uhm, yeah.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:36:15 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 10:32:40 PM »
Brief:
[spoiler]
With her flaws (cold-blooded and wild) and trait (aggressive), I've thought that Snowy (my tibbit Psychtotum) would most likely come from a little tribe full of nomadic tibbits living in the forests a little bit to the north. She had it hard all of her childhood, learning everything on the spot. She didn't become a master of anything, but she was brilliant enough as to outwit most problems she came through, also on the spot for most, if not all.

As time went by though, she grew tired of this way of life and of her tribe. In their travels in the south, she came about a village (Springley Downs) where other living beings caught her interest, and she pretty much left the tribe from there with no other thoughts. She hid from her tribe till they left the area, and she went to the village. Snowy was eleven years old at the time. In her cat form, she wandered from place to place anywhere where something would catch her interest (pretty much everywhere in the village). The village pretty acted as a study for her, but she never showed her humanoid form to anyone. As time went by, Brelden, the town's cleric, pretty much adopted her (maybe he likes cats?). He's also the one that named her "Snowy."

Came a time when she got careless and got caught in her humanoid form by Brelden when she came about 14 (years old). Drama happened, but he came to realise that she were indeed that fluffy white cat he liked. [...]
[/spoiler]

From there I'm not sure how to go. I'm also not sure what the people in town would think she is ("weird" snow elf child?) or if they know what the hell is a tibbit. Whatever she could do in town too I'm not sure, but she'll pretty much have skill points in practically every skills and maybe some craft (alchemy? poisonmaking?) so, uhm, yeah.

I like it!  I think there's a good chance (from the origin story of the tibbet race) that her tribe is on good terms with the elves of Fayland Water, even though they're below the snow line.  So it could be that Rainfall noticed her cat form on one of his rare visits to town, and then spoke to her caretaker about it, who finally confronted her.  I think you should have a different caretaker than Brelden -- maybe Squire Mainor's wife?

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 10:39:03 PM »
Brief:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

I like it!  I think there's a good chance (from the origin story of the tibbet race) that her tribe is on good terms with the elves of Fayland Water, even though they're below the snow line.  So it could be that Rainfall noticed her cat form on one of his rare visits to town, and then spoke to her caretaker about it, who finally confronted her.  I think you should have a different caretaker than Brelden -- maybe Squire Mainor's wife?

That's okay too.

As an aside, people don't really have to know she can turn into a cat (or that cat). Call it a secret with that woman [edit] and Rainfall :p. [/edit]
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 10:41:08 PM by Shiki »
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)