Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Augury - Pregame Thread  (Read 11055 times)

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
[D&D 3.5] Augury - Pregame Thread
« on: September 29, 2011, 06:25:02 PM »
Hello all, and welcome to the world of Augury, now accepting rudimentary character outlines/backgrounds (to be fleshed out later).  Preliminary closing date is 10/6 (my brother's birthday, as it turns out), though it may be extended depending on what kind of interest I get.

~~Campaign Info~~
# of PCs: 4 to 6
Play style: A balanced mix of RP, combat, puzzles, intrigue, etc.  Epic/grandiose storylines.
DM style: I've been a DM for 15 years, and a very good one (or so my players have told me many times), very easy to work with.  My job is not to kill your PCs or frustrate your creative impulses, my job is to provide the framework for all of us to collaboratively tell a great story, and to make sure that everyone has fun.  The experience will be more rewarding for everyone if we can find ways to work together so that your PCs are (a) what you actually want to play, and (b) challenged.  The cooler and more flavorful your solution to a problem is, the more likely it is to work.

~~Chargen Guidelines~~
Starting Level: 1st.  *cue music: Stayin' Alive*
Allowed books/sources: Almost anything 3.5 (including Dragon), though not really crazy about 3rd-party stuff.  I'm of the opinion that everyone will have more fun if they can play what they want, and it's my job as the DM to make it work.  Some specifics:
1) No Tome of Magic or Magic of Incarnum, for story reasons (these may become available later).
2) Please no TO, make a character that will be fun for everyone.  If your idea of fun is making other players or DMs pull their hair out, find a different game.
3) Setting-specific sources are absolutely allowed -- you are encouraged to re-flavor setting-specific things so you can play them.
Character Basics: You'll be playing youths (minimum age for your class/race) who get in way over their heads, because the adults don't take you seriously.  The initial setting is pretty small-town limited -- humans, elves, half-elves, maybe halflings/dwarves are easy, but anything stranger we'll have to background in.  Don't let that stop you from playing something strange if you want to!  Last time I ran this we had an anthropomorphic ermine warblade from the frozen north, and it was all good.
Stats: 4d6/highest 3/reroll 1's.
Alignment Restriction: No CE -- other than that, just make sure your character plays well with others.  No exploiting other PCs (except for when hilarity ensues for all involved including the victim), no stealing from them, no killing them in their sleep or Mindrape/Love's Pain to use them against the BBEG.  If you want to be LE because you're using the party as your platform to launch world domination, that's probably okay unless someone else is a Paladin of Freedom.  Basically, pay attention to the rest of the party and make sure you'll work well as a team.
Religion: An extremely large (and poorly-defined) pantheon called the Lords of Heaven.  Includes all standard D&D gods and whoever else we want to throw in there.  Sovereign Speaker PrC (from Eberron) works well for people who want to worship the entire pantheon.  If you are a cleric and want specific domains, design a god who has them and we'll add 'em (essentially there are lots of obscure gods who few people have heard of).

~~Setting Information~~
World: Augury (map)
Town: the hamlet of Springley Downs, pop. ~200 (map1,map2)

Springley Downs is, so the legend goes, the northernmost village in Escanthia, lying as it does only ~100 miles south of the snow line. The village is nestled between the Silverfish River and Fayland Forest; a very small settlement of elves lives nearby (Fayland Water, pop. ~20), which is friendly with Springley Downs.  The villagers trade with the closest town of any size, Silverhaven, which is a ferry ride across the river and two days away by wagon.  Since Springley Downs is surrounded by woods and water, there are no cash crops or pastures; food sources include fish, rabbit, venison, vegetables from small gardens, and whatever can be gleaned from the fertile arms of the forest: fruits and berries, nuts, and excellent mushrooms.  Wood is in abundant supply, and there is something of a demand in Silverhaven for high-quality lumber and worked woodcrafts, which the townsfolk of Springley Downs happily supply in exchange for the various and sundry goods they require.

Notable NPCs:
~Sir Aundors Whiteflame, Mayor (human knight 3), a kind-hearted man who is universally loved and respected.  He left the town in his youth, returning many years later with a knighthood, several scars, and a young daughter.  He was elected Mayor 13 years ago, and has led the town well.
~Squire Mainor (human warrior 1), Sir Aundors's deputy.  While the Squire might be gruff, and his wife Juna called a shrew behind her back, he is known to be a good man.  Despite his lack of trading skills, Squire Mainor makes the monthly trading journey to Silverhaven, taking 3 youths with him each time to help.
~Romi (half-elf ranger 2) and Aurua (half-elf druid 2), Greenswardens.  This married couple is in charge of the village's grounds, trees, and gardens. Most dealings with the elves of Fayland Water go through them; Romi leads the hunting parties into the Forest every week.  Both sit on the Council of Elders (Aurua is the only woman).
~Brelden (human cleric of the Lords 2) is the spiritual leader of Springley Downs.  He is mild, middle-aged, and unmarried.  He sits on the Council of Elders.
~Coman (human) runs the Laughing Arms Inn & Tavern with his wife Frissa.  They have no children of their own, but have been parent-figures for many youths over the ages (boys would work in the stables, girls in the common room).  Coman sits on the Council of Elders.
~Big Tor (human) is Springley Downs' only blacksmith, if you don't count his sons Little Tor & Milt.  Big Tor sits on the Council of Elders.
~Welton (human) the Ferrymaster is a sour man, somewhat disliked around town, particularly by anyone under the age of 40.  As the only means of access to the outside world, Welton sits on the Council of Elders.
~Deepshadow (ranger 2) and Rainfall (cleric of Corellon 2) are the two elves of Fayland Water that deal most often with the villagers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 06:51:15 PM by sirpercival »
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Re: [D&D 3.5] Augury - Pregame Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 07:00:25 PM »
Current ideas:

dna1 --  an albino half-orc outcast originally brought up by Master Brelden the cleric. Rage from either barbarian or half-orc paragon, maybe then into Champion of Gwynharwyf, or Warblade/Crusader, etc...

DrHorrible -- either (a) a spellcasting-heavy paladin, (b) a paranoid abjurer/diviner, or (c) a necro-cleric with dinoskeles.

Shiki -- a nebulous, formless void roiling with unchained ideas, crackling with creative energy.

CrazyBS -- some sort of dwarven/dwarfish/dwarf-esque type person.

zook1shoe -- a N wizard.

ImperatorK -- anthropomorphic cat swordsage.  Hide your tuna!  http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=333430

PhaedrusXY -- Dragonborn Warforged (aka "pirate pete's buried treasure")
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 01:34:35 PM by sirpercival »

[spoiler]
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
Sounds interesting :)

dna1

• Hong Kong
  • Im not albino Im just from Alaska
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 08:16:16 PM »
Looks cool... I would like to play please sir  :D  I will go ahead and come up with a PC soon.

Although just right off I had an idea, a young half-orc stable boy. Born an Albino to a woman who survived a raiding party rape. As a baby he was wrapped in a blanket and left for dead on a well travelled road. He was found by a travelling Merchant and brought to Springley Downs. Originally raised by the church he was a troubled youth. After time he was passed off to Coman of the Inn. Being young and strong he was put to work. Coman found that most of storys of this wild albino had been blown out of proportion, and has come to be somewhat of a father figure to the boy.
Technically a orphan so he works for 'Coman' at the Inn stables. This is subject to change but Im leaning towards a barb. Although most of the time hes a sweet young lad, he has been known to 'fly off the handle' when pushed around by the other youthes of town.

Sound ok so far? Will do more later  :D
Slappin ho's like E-Honda

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 09:22:19 PM »
Looks cool... I would like to play please sir  :D  I will go ahead and come up with a PC soon.
Excellent!  :)

Although just right off I had an idea, a young half-orc stable boy. Born an Albino to a woman who survived a raiding party rape. As a baby he was wrapped in a blanket and left for dead on a well travelled road. He was found by a travelling Merchant and brought to Springley Downs. Originally raised by the church he was a troubled youth. After time he was passed off to Coman of the Inn. Being young and strong he was put to work. Coman found that most of storys of this wild albino had been blown out of proportion, and has come to be somewhat of a father figure to the boy.
Technically a orphan so he works for 'Coman' at the Inn stables. This is subject to change but Im leaning towards a barb. Although most of the time hes a sweet young lad, he has been known to 'fly off the handle' when pushed around by the other youthes of town.

Sounds good.  Were you thinking some sort of variant orc w/ the albino thing?  Like an arctic half-orc or something, then maybe into frostrager?  Or is it just flavor?

A barbarian with some upbringing in the church = Champion of Gwynharwyf build?  That would be pretty sweet.  And half-orcs don't have a wisdom penalty.

Just riffing here... if you wanted him to rage but not necessarily be a barbarian you could start w/ Half-Orc Paragon, and then go somewhere else with it -- Crusader to play on the priestly upbringing, or Swordsage to show him trying to discipline himself, like self-anger-management stuff.  Or, maybe after the paragon levels he feels a calling to inspire others with his strength and goes Cleric or Paladin of Freedom for Kord.

Anyways, just brainstorming for you.  :)  Glad to have you aboard.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 09:42:13 PM »
Well I usually build up the flavor and such for a PC then kind of create him to fill that. So as of now idk yet for most of it... I will probly start as a barb or paragon for the rage. Followed most likely by warblade, possibly crusader.
Although he will be young as you said in your house rules. Im thinking he will be rather big and take mostly after the orc blood in him. Just adding to the general distrust towards him by most people. haha he will be like that kid in 7th grade with the full beard  :devil pretty sure we all know someone like that..

I do like the arctic idea for the albino part. Its just for RP flavor mostly. Thinking possibly related to a great Orc warlord thats also albino or something. IDK, I just feel it goes good with the outcasted orphan theme.  :D   

Since there is nearly two weeks to create the character, and its only 1st level I will probly put most of the actual crunching off until later  :p Thanks for the feedback though, we are def thinking along the same lines it looks like haha

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 09:49:39 PM »
Sounds good.  I just like brainstorming, hope you don't mind.  ;)  Outcast Champion could work with that idea too.  Could go into a demoralizer build, which should work with warblade or crusader.

Anyway, I'll stop with the ideaphoria.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

DrHorrible

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 09:56:16 PM »
I'd love to play.

I had a couple of ideas for the PC.

Good Party:

- Lesser Aasimar Paladin focused on casting
- Incredibly coward Wizard focused on divination and abjuration schools.

Evil Party:

- Efreeti Hexblade
- Human Cleric building is own skeletal jurassic park

Believe.

dna1

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
I like brainstorming also so its cool haha. Im inviting one of my friends as well, he will probly post today hopefully :)

Do you have a game thread up?

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 10:07:04 PM »
I'd love to play.

Good Party:

Evil Party:

- Efreeti Hexblade

Great to have you aboard!  I don't know that we can label the party "good" or "evil" at this point... what would you like to play the most?

How would the paladin be focused on casting?  Like, Divine Crusader style?  You won't have casting at level 1... I love the idea of a really cowardly wizard, who basically hides in his robes whenever something comes along.  The Efreeti hexblade is a really kewl idea, but you'd be taking that level of hexblade at 20... And yay for skeletal dinosaurs!  Maybe for that one multiclassing with DN?

I like brainstorming also so its cool haha. Im inviting one of my friends as well, he will probly post today hopefully :)

Great!  I don't yet have a game thread up, I was going to wait until we had the players pretty much locked in.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Shiki

• King Kong
  • Mindraped
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 11:44:02 PM »
I'd be interested in joining, maybe. It as been forever since I've started a game at level 1, and my IRL playgroup pretty much stoped caring about seeing each others for now and I need my D&D. I'm totally new to pbp though, so I guess I'd probably need some pointers sometimes. >.<'

I'll work some ideas for a character later though, I'm somewhat busy right now.
"An ally of truth."

Soundtrack of the week:
Kagamine Rin - Antichlorobenzene (ft. Kagamine Ren)

DrHorrible

• The awesomest ever.
    • ItaSA
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2011, 06:16:15 AM »
I'd love to play.

Good Party:

Evil Party:

- Efreeti Hexblade

Great to have you aboard!  I don't know that we can label the party "good" or "evil" at this point... what would you like to play the most?

How would the paladin be focused on casting?  Like, Divine Crusader style?  You won't have casting at level 1... I love the idea of a really cowardly wizard, who basically hides in his robes whenever something comes along.  The Efreeti hexblade is a really kewl idea, but you'd be taking that level of hexblade at 20... And yay for skeletal dinosaurs!  Maybe for that one multiclassing with DN?

Great!  I don't yet have a game thread up, I was going to wait until we had the players pretty much locked in.

Yeah, for the paladin i was thinking along that line ( Divine Crusader, Battle Blessing, maybe Sword of the Arcane Order ). I think I'll drop the efreeti idea because the progression on Savage Species really sucks.

For the Cleric i really didn't plan it that far out, for now my idea was just to have fun with dinosaurs and animate dead, nothing too fancy.

Love the brainstorming!

:D
Believe.

CrazyBS

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 06:21:49 AM »
I would like to play.  I the one that dna1 mentioned.  I'll take a closer look at everything in the morning, but from the looks of it, it would be a perfect game to get started in.  I would probably be thinking about a dwarf of some sorts.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:46:45 AM »
I'd be interested in joining, maybe. It as been forever since I've started a game at level 1, and my IRL playgroup pretty much stoped caring about seeing each others for now and I need my D&D. I'm totally new to pbp though, so I guess I'd probably need some pointers sometimes. >.<'

I'll work some ideas for a character later though, I'm somewhat busy right now.

This is my first time in PbP as well, so it'll be a learning experience for us both.  Should be fine! :)  Glad to have you on board.  Whenever you get a chance to throw down some ideas, I'd be happy to brainstorm with you!

Yeah, for the paladin i was thinking along that line ( Divine Crusader, Battle Blessing, maybe Sword of the Arcane Order ). I think I'll drop the efreeti idea because the progression on Savage Species really sucks.

For the Cleric i really didn't plan it that far out, for now my idea was just to have fun with dinosaurs and animate dead, nothing too fancy.

Love the brainstorming!

:D

Rock on.  We'd have to work on the cleric a little, but the paladin and the wizard I can already see setting/background tie-ins.

I would like to play.  I the one that dna1 mentioned.  I'll take a closer look at everything in the morning, but from the looks of it, it would be a perfect game to get started in.  I would probably be thinking about a dwarf of some sorts.

Dwarf sounds excellent.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

zook1shoe

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 11:35:58 AM »
I'd want to go N wizard

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 11:42:43 AM »
I'm interested, BUT there are two things:
1) English isn't my native language, so I might have some problems with writing anything more advanced. I don't know how much text you require in our posts. If you like long posts with detailed descriptions then it's not a game for me.
2) What about +1 LA races? Allowed, or not? Of course I wouldn't level up until the rest would reach level 3rd.

Man, I hate rolling stats. It's such an unfair idea.
"I'm done thinking for today! It's caused me enough trouble!"
"Take less damage to avoid being killed."
"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

[spoiler]
Quote from: Lateral
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
Quote from: dark_samuari
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!
Use Iron Heart Surge on the sun. That'll teach him to use fluff as RAW.

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
I'd want to go N wizard

Oops, I missed you!  Any particular ideas wizard-wise?  In terms of the setting, whatever your race you probably would have been trained by one of the elves in Fayland Water, unless you are originally from Silverhaven.

I'm interested, BUT there are two things:
1) English isn't my native language, so I might have some problems with writing anything more advanced. I don't know how much text you require in our posts. If you like long posts with detailed descriptions then it's not a game for me.
2) What about +1 LA races? Allowed, or not? Of course I wouldn't level up until the rest would reach level 3rd.

Man, I hate rolling stats. It's such an unfair idea.

Well, I like descriptions, but you should participate in terms of text to the level you're comfortable with.  If you'd like to give very basic descriptions and have me flesh them out, we can absolutely make that work.

I'm certainly okay with level-adjusted races (like I said above, the main thing is that you get to play what you want), and LA buy-off is fine as we go up.  One way to handle it is to be a 1st-level character with a LA +1 race and then to play with a negative level (except for the hp loss) until everyone levels up and is ECL 2. Alternatively, you could use one of the LA+1 or +2 savage progressions but start with a level of a base class so you get a hit die, and then for level 2 (and possibly 3) take your progression level.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2011, 12:04:14 PM »
I'll go with the negative level idea and later I'll just buy it off. The race I wanted to play is an anthropomorphic cat. Class - Swordsage. A sneaky, scoutish type of character.

[spoiler]
Or you could just be a cleric of an ideal. Like, physics and say that the domain choices reflect potential and kinetic energy.

Plus, where other clerics say "For Pelor," "For Nerull," or "For Crom?" You get to say, "FOR SCIENCE!" *fanfare*

About me:
I know your game, you just want a magical Amazon.com to knock off those good ol' honest magic shops run by polite, old wizards!

Damn you! You totally ruined my build that was all about getting epic far shot early and throwing my enemies into the sun!
[/spoiler]

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2011, 12:07:24 PM »
I'll go with the negative level idea and later I'll just buy it off. The race I wanted to play is an anthropomorphic cat. Class - Swordsage. A sneaky, scoutish type of character.

Ooh... I like.  :)  Unarmed swordsage, or are you going to poke people with a tiny tiny dagger?  Or possibly a cheezburger?

Another possibility (brainstorming again, I'm addicted) is a Tibbet.

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

ImperatorK

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2011, 12:14:32 PM »
Unarmed swordsage, or are you going to poke people with a tiny tiny dagger?
No need. I already will have claws, so unarmed strikes aren't necessary. Although... If I give up armor proficiency does that mean I also give up AC Bonus with armor?
Also, if I get Weapon Focus (from Swordsages 1st level) in a weapon that I don't have proficiency in (like th spiked chain for xample) what happens? Do I get the proficiency AND WF or just proficiency or only WF?

Another possibility (brainstorming again, I'm addicted) is a Tibbet.
Nah, I'm fine with the cat.

BTW. Where can I roll th attributes? If you mean at home then could you roll for me? I don't trust myself. :smirk
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 12:17:44 PM by ImperatorK »

[spoiler]

About me:

[/spoiler]