Author Topic: Encounter 19 v2  (Read 3759 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Encounter 19 v2
« on: September 28, 2011, 10:15:33 AM »
Encounter 19 v2

Note: You're still down any spells from last fight.

Setup: Looking around the farm, you find the family slain (presumably by the creatures). One of them has a note to meet the "others" here at the barn at sundown. You estimate this to be about six hours from now.

You're half an hour away from town. The barn is two stories tall, although most of it is open floor to ceiling, with the exception of a loft at each end above the doors, with a door that can open to the outside. A ladder leads from each loft to the floor. The house is two stories with windows on each wall. The shack is small with just a single door and no windows. It has many mundane tools. The surrounding area on all sides is forest once you leave the farm.

What do you want to do? Is there any more information that you need?

Pre-combat Map:
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Assuming you stay/come back by sun down, where do you want to be on the map at the start of the encounter?
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: Encounter 19 v2
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 01:10:39 PM »
I think...lying low in the crops at N20? Thoughts?
They can teleport, so open spaces are advantageous, and we're still fairly good at hiding(distance mods help, as does the fact that they'd probably teleport in instead of walking and getting multiple chances to spot). The location is close enough that we can engage during the surprise round.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »
Also they ignore fire, resist cold, reduce damage, have polearms, teleport and have SR. Might want to plan out opening salvos.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 01:57:30 PM »
I was thinking Aepa can take the loft so he can see them when they pop in. He has swift flight so he could jump without repercussions, other than maybe an AoO. He won't be able to use Call lightning on them because they are in a building, well we could cut remove a lot of the roof to effectively make them out in the open but that is a lot of work.

for opening up the fight Aepa's biggest boom would likely be Resonating Bolt due to it being sonic, we haven't seen if they are resistant to Electricity yet, but that requires him being within 60' of them.

Any thoughts on the viability of collapsing the barn on them? Would it cause enough damage to be worthwhile?
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
  • Watching the World Burn in Magnificence
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:58:33 PM »
Thorden is going to take 20 to search the two buildings in detail, since we have time. His thoughts are mainly turned towards anything that looks off-such as arcane markings, burns in the floor, walls, or ceilings (thinking on the brimstone smell), anything that one probably wouldn't find on a farm-plot.

I can still use two of those entangling blasts, which cuts his damage in half but should hold them for a sec. He can also do the Earthen Grasp, which would grapple one of them, or both in two turns. I'm pretty sure that could interfere with a teleport SLA (correct me if sla's work that much differently than spells), and it would at the very least screw up their glaive-useage. If I can boost the thing's strength high enough to pin them, the -4 to AC would be swell. At the very least, they'd lose their dex to AC. If pinning them to the ground to somehow make them prone (I dunno shit about grapple, other than it's a crap shoot) is an option, the extra nick to AC would make Thorden and/or Grizz going to town on them that much more appealing. Power attack to our hearts desire, see how much HP these fuckers have.

Of course, that's hoping my giant immobile rock-hand can make the touch attack, and then not screw over the grapple check. After that, I'm kinda reduced to more rock-hurling, or hitting them with a flail, which would be nice

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 10:56:25 PM »
What do we know of the farm and those that lived here?
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."
[spoiler]
Characters
Ixen-Elemental Mage Test Game
Torgthen-The Darkening
Eldak-The Neverending Dungeon
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 10:24:57 AM »
Thorden checks the house and finds nothing of interest in the two floors (aside from what you'd expect to find in a farm house). He checks the cellar (sorry, I forgot to mention there's a cellar under the house) and finds a loose rock in the corner of the foundation. Behind it is a very dusty box. Inside it is a book with strange writings on/in it (it's in infernal) and it has some very disturbing pictures as well.

Torden doesn't find anything interesting in the barn.

At this point, you don't know anything about the farm or the inhabitants. Although, you're only half an hour away from town and you have roughly six hours to kill before you're expecting to see anyone.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

archangel.arcanis

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »
While he is searching. Aepa will take 20 on a Kn. Planes check for a 23 to think about what those creatures were. (can you take 20 on a knowledge check?) If not I'll roll.
Clerics and Druids are like the 4 and 2 in 42. Together they are the answer to the ultimate question in D&D.
Retire the character before the DM smacks you with the Table as the book will feel totally inadequate now.-Hazren

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 11:31:11 AM »
(can you take 20 on a knowledge check?)
It doesn't explicitly say you can't. I guess you just ponder about it for two minutes or something...

You're pretty sure these are bearded devils: foot soldiers in the army of Baator. You know they're immune to fire and poison, resistant to a lot of other things, and might carry some sort of disease.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 06:02:29 PM »
In that case, I'd down a potion of protection from evil beforehand and probably drop an early Ice Patch if I get the jump. Thoughts? Most of my stuff is subject to DR, SR or one of the resists, often all of the above.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 08:36:43 PM »
Thoughts on burning the buildings down, most likely during combat?
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 09:58:08 PM »
You're a pyromancer, we expect nothing less of you. Though what good it'll do us when they're fire resistant and able to teleport is anyone's guess.

Also, we wont get so easy a drop on them.

Thorden's going to keep the book, by the by. Unless anyone here speaks infernal and wants to give it a go.

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 12:53:44 AM »
Well we don't know who the others are. I had a thought of possibly luring them into the barn and just burning it down on top of them. Then again I think in odd ways...
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 06:48:39 AM »
You're a pyromancer, we expect nothing less of you. Though what good it'll do us when they're fire resistantimmune and able to teleport is anyone's guess.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 02:42:30 PM »
Is there anything else you guys want to do or find out before the fight? If you think you're ready, where do you want to be placed?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 03:41:35 PM »
I'm thinking hiding in the crops as mentioned earlier, and hitting a Protection from Evil once they're spotted(Prot vs Evil lasts long enough anyway)
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Sohala

• Hong Kong
  • Hammer Smash Good
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 01:05:24 AM »
We got the time, and fire is seemingly useless, so I am willing to take the hour travel time to learn what we can.
[spoiler]
Characters
Torgthen-The Darkening
Games
Dungeon Delver's Delight
Adventures in Eberron
Town of Terror
Working Progress
[3.5] Mana Mage

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 10:25:11 AM »
We got the time, and fire is seemingly useless, so I am willing to take the hour travel time to learn what we can.
After about two hours of asking around, you find a report filed with the guards. About 50 years ago, they broke up a cult at the farm. A new family moved into the barn about a year afterward.

The cultists were primarily human, although there was a half orc and a half dragon in their numbers as well. They were all put to death shortly after they were arrested.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2011, 10:32:55 AM »
What square does everyone want to start at? Do you want to cast any buffs ahead of time?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Flay Crimsonwind

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 11:59:04 AM »
I'll hide with the bush and house as cover at CC19.