Author Topic: Fun Custom items?  (Read 8540 times)

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
Fun Custom items?
« on: September 27, 2011, 07:47:20 AM »
I'm not looking for a "bang for your buck" list (bunkos and such do that just fine), rather a "you made a WHAT?!" list.

Post your random custom items and their prices/requirement/etc!

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
Re: Fun Custom items?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
I've got all kinds of these, here's just a few that I've come up with.

LAW - The handgun from Judge Dread - with Grenade Launcher - a Repeating Hand Crossbow without the arms using the spells Launch Object, Launch Bolt, with the Quiver of Ehlonna built into the cartridge. Loaded in compartment with various bolt types, bolt materials, and the third with alchemical items. You speak into it telling it the ammo type you want in order to switch firing modes (Command Activated).

Grenade - add explosive rune to any ammunition that is broken on impact, triggers the rune as a failed attempt to disarm the spell. Store in an extra dimensional space for safety.

Sensor Goggles - combined goggles of Detect Favored Enemy and Life Sight. UMD to make it think you're an Undead Ranger with FE your current target.

Quill of Prestidigitation - cast Prestidigitation at will, simple but amazingly useful.

Improved Rod of Ropes - combine the Rod of Ropes with the Dragon Claw Grappling hook from Dungeonscape, add +6 to your use rope checks to set the grapple. Combine multiples of these, hooked to a carriage to have a horseless carriage that pulls itself along by launching out hooks to grab the terrain.

Nytemare3701

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 01:57:10 PM »
I've got all kinds of these, here's just a few that I've come up with.

LAW - The handgun from Judge Dread - with Grenade Launcher - a Repeating Hand Crossbow without the arms using the spells Launch Object, Launch Bolt, with the Quiver of Ehlonna built into the cartridge. Loaded in compartment with various bolt types, bolt materials, and the third with alchemical items. You speak into it telling it the ammo type you want in order to switch firing modes (Command Activated).

Grenade - add explosive rune to any ammunition that is broken on impact, triggers the rune as a failed attempt to disarm the spell. Store in an extra dimensional space for safety.

Sensor Goggles - combined goggles of Detect Favored Enemy and Life Sight. UMD to make it think you're an Undead Ranger with FE your current target.

Quill of Prestidigitation - cast Prestidigitation at will, simple but amazingly useful.

Improved Rod of Ropes - combine the Rod of Ropes with the Dragon Claw Grappling hook from Dungeonscape, add +6 to your use rope checks to set the grapple. Combine multiples of these, hooked to a carriage to have a horseless carriage that pulls itself along by launching out hooks to grab the terrain.

LAW: You just gave me the perfect go-to weapon for normal mook combat :-)

Improved Rod of Ropes: BATMAAAAAAAN

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
I've also had fun with the trap rules. Made a halfling cleric of Farlanghan (Spelling?) with a wagon loaded with traps of Create Food and Water, Purify Food and Drink, and Remove Disease one for either side of the wagon Left, Right, Back.  He would travel from town to town during times of hardship helping until they could become self sufficient again.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 03:22:32 PM »
I made a Jedi-style Argent Savant which had a hilt which was command word (button-activated) Mordenkainen's Sword (lightsaber!).
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 03:47:17 PM »
Not so much a custom item, but I was always fond of the Decanter of Endless Water plus a Ring of Water Walking.  Instant bridge.

sirpercival

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 03:48:57 PM »
Not so much a custom item, but I was always fond of the Decanter of Endless Water plus a Ring of Water Walking.  Instant bridge.

Plus a rope, to get it back.

If you're in an undead heavy game, a DoEW and a Blessed Chalice (command word Bless Water), plus some Dust of Dryness makes Holy Hand Grenades.
Burn all the microfiche!  Firebomb all the 8-tracks!

I'm not just a druid -- I'm a singing, dancing, Broadway druid.

[spoiler]
Quote from: PhaedrusXY
"You... saved me? So I was dismantled? I... thank you, then. I will not incinerate you."

There's only one character concept worth having, and that's the one you've thrown darts at.
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:33:59 PM »
Bigby's Fist boxing gloves.

Lantern that had Beholder Eyes in it. You had to pluck your own eye, to replace one.
Used it with an Orc Witch Doctor of Gruumsh, that got turned into a Vampire.
Vampire healing (of the other plucked eye) made him no longer good enough for Gruumsh.
Still had 1st and 2nd level spells anyway, which was "weird".
Campaign lasted like forever ... until a yoko ono type screwed it up.

edit --- I should have mentioned 1st and 2nd editions.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:52:07 PM by awaken DM golem »

kitep

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 12:58:44 AM »
I once played a character called "Alex, single dad".  For various RP reasons, he had to take the kid everywhere - and the kid was still in diapers, and as a half-elf, would be for some time.  After a few weeks of changing diapers and trying (unsuccessfully) to trade healing for "doody duty", I gladly paid for some "everfresh diapers".

fencediddy

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 05:09:11 PM »
made a fun Weapon of Legacy.  The name was Answer.  It had Weapon shift, Touch of the master, and a form of Transmuting.

so in the end it could be any type of item as long as i remained within contact with it, I was proficient with that item, and it would be whatever material I wanted it to be..  Id run around hitting people with a adamatine spoon, then a gold chair, then a wooden great sword... then whenever i got tired.. BED!

Best item ever...

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 08:05:47 PM »
I happen to like the necklace of natural attacks I made which had throwing, returning, distance, and ghost touch. Along with the other items and feats available, that's moving 200+ feet as an attack action, and it lets you go ethereal at will.
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

PlzBreakMyCampaign

• Hong Kong
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »
Requires DM approval, therefore only useful to DMs. Only time I ever encouraged that was with my CoDzilla.
[Spoiler]
An interesting read, nice to see a civil discussion
The point of Spell Resistance is to make it harder to get buffed.
And healed. Don't forget that.
Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.
[/Spoiler]

Old Geezer's Law of Hobby Taste: The more objectively inconsequential a hobby is, the more disagreements within the community will be expressed in outrageously insulting, overblown, and ludicrously emotionally laden terms.

More Funny than Humble[Spoiler]
Quote from: PlzBreakMyCampaign
Your a shifter... you have all you ever need.
It blows MoMF out of the water

But if your greedy for more [Wish] for something that only effects you, like another class level or two that doesn't count against your ECL.
Quote from: hungryhungryhippo987
Yes, I'm the 3.0 "Masters of the Wild" shifter, the awesome kind. My favorite form to take is Force Dragon. Yes, I am immortal ... My character is hands down the coolest guy in the campaign and there is nothing I could possibly want.
PBMC gets a cookie for DotA r

Lycanthromancer

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 08:13:00 PM »
Requires DM approval, therefore only useful to DMs. Only time I ever encouraged that was with my CoDzilla.
Which one requires DM approval? If you're talking about the necklace, it's a 3.0 item that was never updated to 3.5, and is thus legal. And it explicitly allows you to add weapon special abilities to it.

And we're talking custom items here. Everything's DM approval only.

Though in this case it's a *legal* custom item, even for games wherein custom items aren't allowed.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 08:14:41 PM by Lycanthromancer »
[spoiler]Masculine men like masculine things. Masculine men are masculine. Therefore, liking masculine men is masculine.

I dare anyone to find a hole in that logic.
[spoiler]
+1 Lycanthromancer
Which book is Lycanthromancer in?
Lyca ... is in the book. Yes he is.
 :D
shit.. concerning psionics optimization, lycan IS the book
[/spoiler]

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2011, 08:53:47 PM »

Hustle Linked Hustle Twinned ... with further discounts
for all that Psi Focus action, magic does for "free".

SquishE

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2011, 09:13:42 PM »
+10 Sippy Cup of Thirst Quenching.

Retrieved from the Barrel of Many things. (Usable once a day)

It was a sippy cup that never ran out of juice. >_>

braininthejar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:32 PM »
Some fetishes from Werewolf the Apocalypse campaign

1 a cell phone with a net spider spirit - no longer losing connection at the crucial point of an adventure.

2 a sick idea some of my friends got - a spray can full of minor Weaver spiders - instant calcification of whatever it was used on, including people's faces.

The_Mad_Linguist

• Organ Grinder
  • Simulated Thing
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 09:55:14 PM »
I once played a character called "Alex, single dad".  For various RP reasons, he had to take the kid everywhere - and the kid was still in diapers, and as a half-elf, would be for some time.  After a few weeks of changing diapers and trying (unsuccessfully) to trade healing for "doody duty", I gladly paid for some "everfresh diapers".

Oh come on.  That's totally in the D&B sourcebook
Linguist, Mad, Unique, none of these things am I
My custom class: The Priest of the Unseen Host
Planetouched Handbook
Want to improve your character?  Then die.

Bester

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 10:06:36 PM »
A pronunciation book with my character's truename on the cover.

a +2 bonus to truespeech skill checks and if you ever fight a truenamer, they can read your character's name off the book and actually stand a chance of fighting you....

SneeR

• Bi-Curious George
  • Sneering
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 10:21:41 PM »
If we are talking homebrew items, I statted the giant Meat Cleaver from Demon's Souls (skip to about 45 seconds in) as a martial weapon that requires proficiency with the greatsword, can only be wielded with a 15 STR (or one-handed with a 22 STR and exotic weapon proficiency).

It is so massive that it deals both bludgeoning and slashing damage in full as 2d10. Anyone damaged by it is effectively subjected to a trip attempt by the attacker (with a +4 bonus), with no extra action on the attacker's part, and no possible retalliation trip attempt, since they are being knocked down.

However, it is so heavy that if you do not succeed on a DC 22 STR check, it takes your next attack in a full attack or move action if a standard action attack to ready again. That is, unless you have the exotic weapon proficiency.

There is only one in the world in my game, and there are all sorts of cool demonic background stuff to go with it. You get to wield a legendary weapon in my campaign, for what its worth...
The answer to everything:
[spoiler][/spoiler]
SneeR
[spoiler]
I don't know if the designers meant you to take Skill Focus for every feat.
Sounds a little OP.

The monk is clearly the best class, no need to optimize here. What you are doing is overkill.

It's like people who have no idea what a turn signal is. They ruin it for everyone else.
When another driver brandishes a holy symbol and begins glowing with divine light, seek cover or get spattered with zombie brains. I do not see what is so complicated about this.
[/spoiler]

Widow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 01:46:51 AM »
I particularly like my minor artifact of spell preparation, although it is basically fluff for your divine metamagic persistent buff machine.  You lock in whatever spells and abilities you cast everyday as part of your buffing routine.  Unless you change them, the item just automatically takes those slots and abilities and puts up the buffs.  It also acts as a bag of holding for items that affect your spells, counts as a ring of sustance, and has the Dragonlance spell effect that you don't ever need to sleep even to prepare your spells (cannot prepare any slots you used in the last 8 hours though).  It also removed the required time to prepare/pray/etc to get your abilities each day.  It covered all mundane/ no gp spell components, stored focuses, and held any additional spell components of value.  It was summonable from any distance/plane.

So basically if you wanted a Divine power spell put up every two days with divine metamagic persistent, extended, bead of karma, and the dweomerkeepers supernatural spell it just did it for you taking up all your necessary abilities.  Or alternatively at high levels you could lock in 3 copies of a 10 min per level duration spell to pick up 24 hour coverage without having to worry about at what points in the day you would have to recast it.  Also anything like metamagic rods, beads of karma, ahnk of ascesion, etc. were put in the item and just worked.

The main reason for the item was I was playing a warforged and I thought it was extremely lame that a warforged that did not have to sleep but had to sit around 8 hours a day just to prepare his arcane spells.  Also the ring of sustance is lame for spellcasters because instead of sleeping 8 hours to prepare spells, they sleep 2 and stare at a wall for 6 to prepare spells.  Overall the item was mechanically transparent, but convenent for the character.  Works well epically with the artificer paragon path that makes your equipment immune to Disjunction and you casting supernatural spells.