Author Topic: First psionic and incarnum character - Need advice  (Read 4281 times)

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: First psionic and incarnum character - Need advice
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2011, 12:46:26 PM »
Sounds interesting, but I don't think that level of cheese would go well... At least not the alternate spell source part. If only there was a way to get psionic 9s with psion/erudite if I lost 4 MLs... That's my main concern, tough I'm not entirely sure how needed would they be. I could, however, go with StP erudite and have access to divine 9s, psionic 8s and arcane 7s. Sounds like fun. Tough I'd still have to go with ur-priest for my divine spellcasting.

I could take a level off psychic theurge, but AFAIK there's no PRC that could advance my StP erudite's ML by two, unless cerebremancer's apply both to arcane spells and psionic powers, but I don't think that's the case. Would've been fun, tough.

I find I'm going to be very very feat starved. Any pointers on that? DCFS could work, but I'm not entirely sure if that'd be allowed...

Chilastra022

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »
Alternatively there is the Southern Magician feat (Races of Faerun pg. 168) that functions similarly and overall serves the same purpose, however you're required to be human (in this case, your thrall would need to be human). While in both cases the spells are cast as an arcane or divine version of themselves, one changes the source, while the other does not. But for the purposes of learning the divine spells as psionic powers, still works.

Regarding increasing your ML, there is always the option of Power-Link Dragon Shards, although they're pretty cheesy and can make psionic powers get out of hand pretty fast. They also only apply to your ML when manifesting a power, they don't give you access to higher-level powers. And yes, between monk 1, totemist 2, and thrallherd 1 youd be at -4 ML, so in such a case the only option would be the drop the level of monk to maintain 9/8/8 powers/arcane/divine, but then that isnt really the same character you envisioned by that point probably. If you did keep the monk level youd be at 8/7/7, i guess it comes down to if you desire flurry and unarmed damage progression over 9's and 8's.

As far as feats go, yeah you'll be pretty feat starved, ( quite a few gish's are) moreso in this case since your levels will be all over the place. DCFS is entirely possible with this character, although i shy away from things like that >_> Alternatively theres always psychic reformation to repick your feats as you need them, or feat leech to steal some feats from a few thralls believers.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 11:18:24 PM by Chilastra022 »

Garryl

• Hong Kong
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2011, 11:37:49 PM »
Check out magical locations. There are a few that permanently grant feats. Most aren't great, but a few serve as prerequisites. Iron Will, a pre-req for Ur-Priest, is granted indefinitely by the Otoyugh Hole, for instance.
A Guide to Free D&D - A resource of free, official D&D resources on the web.
General listing of my homebrew.
Links to things I've worked on
[spoiler]
Idiot Crusader, refreshing maneuvers for free every round.
The Opposed Checks Handbook - Under construction.
Adaptations Handbook - Under construction.
[/spoiler]

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2011, 04:49:36 AM »
Well, from what I could find about magical locations(Complete Mage and Complete Scoundrel), I can get Iron Will as a free feat indefinitely, that's very nice, and also persist spell for 1 year with a metamagic storm, renewable every year. That's quite helpful, to say the least.

Is there any way to cast druid spells with an ur-priest? There's no need for the whole list, just a couple would be fine(ahem, bite of the werebear).

If there isn't... Well, I might have to look for the erudite way, but I'm not entirely sure my DM would allow alternate source spell/southern magician for learning divines as arcanes as powers. Then I'd really miss divine power, but tenser's transformation could work. My main concerns would be a little more MAD, no midnight metamagic persist and less "fuel", as all my spellcasting comes from one source, power points, while in the ur-priest way it'd come both from spells per day and power points.

Bigtuna

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2011, 05:24:02 AM »
I saw War Mind 4 and not War Mind 5? The 5th level ability is kind of the whole point of even getting levels in the class because the rest is just so meh.
Well Sweeping strike was the main reason I would normally take Warmind - but since
At 5th level, a war mind gains the ability to make great, sweeping swings with a melee weapon
totemist with claws of the beast and girallions arms - can't use melee weapons with his extra arms, so can't really use sweeping strike.

The exsample was just to se how you could get a few PP and open chakras better than any straight totemist - if you read the open chakra power as granting a new chakra bind. (If you do - why would you ever NOT play a psionic totemist over a straight totemist is beyond me)

SolEiji

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Summon the Meteor Pony!
    • D&D Wiki.Org
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2011, 05:43:34 AM »
At 5th level, a war mind gains the ability to make great, sweeping swings with a melee weapon
totemist with claws of the beast and girallions arms - can't use melee weapons with his extra arms, so can't really use sweeping strike.

Wut?  Claws are melee weapons.  It doesn't say "manufactured weapons only".
Got homebrew?  I keep all my 3.5 homebrew on the D&D Wiki.org!
Current Count: 1333 pages by me and climbing!

Aliek

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2011, 12:20:01 PM »
Well, it still has some benefits on going full totemist. Mainly the capstone, more essentia and such. I'd say it kinda makes sense: You multiclass for versatility, open chakra gives you that, too.

Altough the tradeoff might be a little unbalanced to the multiclassind side  :lmao

By the way, I can't believe I've forgot about using miracle for druid spells as an ur-priest. That way I could get both owl's insight and bite of the werebear, huh. Very nice.